Three hungry mouths saved by public’s generosity

PELE

JF-Expert Member
Dec 23, 2009
Three hungry mouths saved by public’s generosity digg

By Elizabeth Tungaraza
Several people have extended a helping hand to Sophia Salum, a 28-year-old mother whose anguish was decisively covered by The Citizen of March, 27.

Sophia, a poverty stricken mother of two children and other newly born triplets was earlier on reported to have lacked even the necessary nutrition to breastfeed her children.
mapachawatatu.jpg
Sophia Salum

For quite some days, she would go on a single meal comprised of nothing but just Ugali with okra or dagaa or worse enough porridge.
As a result, her body ceased to produce milk to breastfeed her babies.
Following the publication of her touching story, which also called upon people to help her, the efforts have actually yielded positive results because a good number of Samaritans came forward with financial and material support.
On a Good Friday, on behalf of Mwananchi Communication Ltd, I went to her home in Ukonga, Dar es Salaam and handed her all what we had managed to gather in form of aid.
Part of the money we had received, we bought for her more than 110 kilos of foodstuff comprised of sugar, beans, maize flour and rice.

The Mwananchi team also bought for her a bucket of cooking oil, meat, two cans of formula milk, sardines, nutritious flour for porridge and handed her the remaining cash that totaled to Sh100000.

Chrisant Bantulaki, finance manager at Shelly’s Pharmaceutical was among the concerned readers. He says he was touched in a very special way that he felt he couldn’t resist giving out the little he has.
“It’s true, life is difficult to many Tanzanians, but I got shocked and decided to help her at least with food that will enable her produce milk for her children,” he says.
On the other hand, workers from the Integrated Communication Limited, Dar es Salaam brought for her seven cans of formala milk, packages of soaps, 25 kgs of sugar and flour, 5 kg of rice, three blankets, bed sheets, baby shawl and handed her Shs100000 cash.
“That feature touched us a lot. So we decided to help her, even the company gave us the resources to make sure that we reach her wherever she is. We wanted to comfort and make her feel it is not bad lack to have triplets even though she is penniless,” says Fransis Mwasiwa on behalf of Integrated Company.
Julieth Muro, a banking officer with Exim bank says she was filled with much sympathy on learning about Sophia’s suffering.
“Many of us wake up smiling with the assurance of daily bread, while others wake up grieving, not knowing how to survive the day. I thus felt obliged to contribute for it is undisputable truth for one to survive without food,” says Muro.
“Let us ask ourselves what she will do when that food we’ve offered her is over. She will still have to take care of the family and the babies. This family still needs sustainable help,” added Muro.
Dr Donald Mwiturubani from the Institute of Security Studies is of the view that writers’ work need be commended, and that more expository work should be done to unearth sections of the society that need help.
“I was on my way back to Dar from Nairobi. When I crossed to Arusha I resorted to buy The Citizen in which I came across that story. Compassion filled my heart as I was reading and came to a conclusion that I’m ought to help because God has a purpose for which he brings every human being into this earth,” he says while adding, “We need to learn to give to the needy since everything on earth is earthly. There’ll be a day we’ll leave everything here and go to the hereafter.”
Another one who was equally touched was Mr Dhachu, an engineer from Arusha, who said, when he read the story he didn’t even ask himself twice about helping Sophia.
“It is a pity for a triplets mother to pass a day without anything in her stomach, and worse still, to feed on porridge. So I am happy, to say, the least that they now have food which will help the mother in producing milk for the infants.”
Mr Dhachu said children are the future of this nation so it’s our duty to raise them in a good way. “I am always upset when I see a woman in difficulties while raising her children,” he added.

The management of the New Africa Hotel says it felt pity for the woman on learning about her difficulties.
“We also have children, and so I couldn’t imagine them sleeping on a small single bed along with five children,” says a woman on anonymity.

The management of the New Africa Hotel therefore, donated Sh200000, six cans of formula milk, 10 pieces of bath towels, 10 hand towels, 10 pieces of pillow cases, 20 pieces of white napkins, 10 pieces of bed sheets and 10 table clothes.

Hellen Mwereru from California, US also contributed Sh53000.
Hellen, hopes other people would come up and ensure that Sophia secures a decent place than their present single room that they share with their children.
Vote of thanks
Receiving the aid donations, Sophia says she is grateful to everyone who has made the contribution.
“I thank all the people who’ve helped me in one way or the other, including The Citizen newspaper,” she says.

She says that now she takes sufficient meat soup, a thing that in the past was unaffordable luxury despite being a necessity.

She is now determined to do any business, even running a stall of her own in a local market.

“I would like to set up a business so that I can generate small income to sustain me and my children,” she says

Back
Top Bottom