The Worlds Dirtiest Cities!

Mnairobi

JF-Expert Member
Oct 27, 2007
i saw this article and just felt like sharing it with you guys.

The Mercer Human Resource Consulting company has made a list of the dirtiest cities in the world, basing on the data on the level of air impurity, waste recycling, the potability of water, the availability of hospital services, medical supplies and the existence of contagious diseases in 215 large localities of the world.

1. Baku, Azerbaijan. The pollution index: 27.6. There is registered the high level of pollution due to the oil production.
  2. Dhaka, Bangladesh. The pollution index: 29.6. There is registered the high level of water pollution.
  3. Antananarivo, Madagascar. The pollution index: 30.1.
  4. Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The pollution index: 34.
  5. Mexico City, Mexico. The pollution index: 37.7.
  6. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The pollution index: 37.9.
  7. Mumbai, India. The pollution index: 38.2. The recovery of the ecology of the city will require at least 1 billion dollars.
  8. Baghdad, Iraq. The pollution index: 39. The military actions in Iraq and burning of oil deposits have lead to the air pollution in the city.
  9. Almaty, Kazakhstan. The pollution index: 39.1.
  10. Brazzaville, Congo. The pollution index: 39.1. It is registered the high level of air pollution, the lack of potable water, and the pollution of city water with wastes here
  11. N’Djamena, Chad. The pollution index: 39.7.
  12. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The pollution index: 40.
  13. Bangui, Central African Republic. The pollution index: 42.1.
  14. Moscow, Russia. The pollution index: 43.4. According to Forbes magazine, in the city, where the rental fee exceeds $3 thousand a month, there is lack of normal tap water, and the level of air pollution exceeds the allowable limits.
  15. Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The pollution index: 43.4.
  16. Bamako, Mali. The pollution index: 43.7.
  17. Pointe Noire, Congo. The pollution index: 43.8.
  18. Lome, Togo. The pollution index: 44.1.
  19. Conakry, Republic of Guinea, The pollution index: 44.2.
  20. Nouakchott, Mauritania. The pollution index: 44.7.
  21. Niamey, Nigeria.* The pollution index: 45. Approximately every fourth child in this town dies before he reaches the age of 5.
  22. Luanda, Angola. The pollution index: 45.2
  23. Maputo, Mozambique. The pollution index: 46.3
  24. New Delhi, India. The pollution index: 46.6.
  25. Port Harcourt, Nigeria. The pollution index: 46.8.
And, the cleanest city in the world was claimed to be Canadian Calgary, whose pollution index constituted 131.7 points.

Source: dirtiest cities - SkyscraperCity

Last edited:
Do you believe the statistics???

Siamini nimeenda Mombasa ni chafu sana!

Pia Brazaville Congo ni chafu hatari!

Dar sii chafu...may be kule Uwanja wa Fisi!!!

i saw this article and just felt like sharing it with you guys.

12. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The pollution index: 40.[/B]

[/url]

Mnairobi, I am actually veeeery happy, Dar es salaam is just on the PASS MARK, we have not Failed YIPEEE!!!

This ranking is a fake!

Niamey ipo Niger and not Nigeria!

The ranking is flawed...the author have to learn simple geography first!

hiyo ranking ni very tricky,, ukiwa na index kubwa ndo msafi kuliko wenye index ndogo.

how come Nairovi haiko LOL

hiyo ranking ni very tricky,, ukiwa na index kubwa ndo msafi kuliko wenye index ndogo.

how come Nairovi haiko LOL

Iko wapi hii mkuu?Au ni ukaribu wa 'v' na 'b' kwenye keyboard?
Any way, i dont buy the statistics!

Statistics ni muhimu lakini inategemea umezichukua angle gani, hapo inabidi ifahamike kama tunazungumzia Air pollution or wat, maana sitaki kuamini Dar index yake ipo juu ya Brasil.

........air impurity, waste recycling, the potability of water, the availability of hospital services, medical supplies and the existence of contagious diseases..........

From Mnairobi post the above were the criteria used to rank the cities. Dar es Salaam might not be high on air impurity but what about other factors.....I am sure we are doing very bad on waste recycling, hospital services, medical supplies, existence of contagious diseases etc ...

SIKUBALIANI NA HIYO STATISTIC NI YA ZAMANI LABDA UTUPE SOURCE NA PIA KATIKA HIYO MIJI ILIOTAJWA NAWEZA KUKUBALIANA NA Dhaka,Bamako,Mumbai,Niamey,Brazzaville,Na N’Djamena Kweli Ni michafu mnoooo kwanini Khartoum,Mogadishu,Asmara Manila Na Sanaa hazipo katika top 10? Uongo kwanza Niamey Haipo Nigeria Ni Niger fanye utafiti kwanza Nina uhakika na ninachokiandika

Just a quick question, Does Dar City Council still discharge raw sewerage into the Indian Ocean?, There is that very long Pipe that heads into the ocean the last time i visited Dar last December, Please take it as a genuine question and no offence or pun intended..

Just a quick question, Does Dar City Council still discharge raw sewerage into the Indian Ocean?, There is that very long Pipe that heads into the ocean the last time i visited Dar last December, Please take it as a genuine question and no offence or pun intended..

Mkenya and Mnairobi:-

- Was this post for the benefits of the forums member or was trying to PROVE that Dar is much more dirty comparing to Nairobi?

- In my opinion neither Dar nor Nairobi is cleaner! I've been around these "towns" for the good part of my life and I can prove it to you both a getting worse in terms of cleanliness!

- Whatever the motive this research was up to, we both (kenyans and Tanzanians) should try to understand what are the factors this research was based on and out of that it can be a learning in improving or rather uplifting the levels of cleanliness in our areas.

- Aluta continua!

What was the motive behind posting this thead?

Ndo ile le arrogance!

Wakenya utawajua tu haswa kwa arrogance!

Nairobi ranked among 50 worst cities to work in

nairobicityatdusk.jpg

By NATION Correspondent, LONDON

Posted Thursday, April 30 2009 at 19:56

Nairobi has been ranked 208th out of 251 cities by an international research organisation which examines the best places to do business worldwide says. According to the Worldwide Quality of Living survey produced by Mercer, Nairobi is ranked the 43rd worst city to live in for expatriate businessmen.

Moved up

Three other East African cities are in the bottom 50 with Sudan's capital Khartoum rated the fifth worst place in the world to do business, followed by Addis Ababa (19th worst) and Dar es Salaam at 27th.

The good news for Nairobi and Dar es Salaam, however, is that they have both moved up in the 2009 rankings. The rankings are based on 39 criteria including factors such as internal stability, crime, air pollution and hospital services. The ranking for city infrastructure is based on seven criteria - electricity, water availability, telephone, mail, public transport, traffic congestion and airport facilities.

The report is intended mainly for multinational companies and governments to determine suitable hardship allowances for each country. "Research is carried out by means of a detailed questionnaire with pre-defined criteria and a specific scoring system. Researchers and consultants in Mercer offices worldwide analyse the data which is then cross-checked against various sources by experts," the survey says.

The survey, which covers 215 cities, rated Vienna in Austria as the best city in the world, with Zurich in Switzerland second.

The worst place to do business was again Baghdad. The only African cities in the top 100 were Port Louis in Mauritius (82) and the South African cities of Cape Town 87), Port Elizabeth (93) and Johannesburg (97).

Last edited:
Hivi wana jamii wenzangu...watanzania wenzangu swala la Uchafu wa Huo mji wa Dar-Es-Salaam kwanini mnaufumbia macho????.... Manispaa za Jiji hilo zimeweza kuweka Majembe Auction Mart kudhibiti madereva wanaotumia barabara vibaya ....Kwanini zisiweke Majembe wengine kudhibiti Usafi wa Jiji???? Unakuta Mtu kanyonga tai yake tena yupo kwenye gari yakifahari Range Rover Vogue kanywa maji anafunguwa kioo na kutupa chupa ya maji nje!!! Haya wale wachina waliopewa tender yakutuwekea drainage system za mji walikuwa wametusaidia bureee au ni Pesa zetu walipa Kodi??? Yaani kwa Uchafu wa JIJI HILO ni bora IKULU IHAMISHIWE MJI WA MOSHI ni aibu kubwa hiii...