The two sides of Tanzania’s president

Keykey

JF-Expert Member
Dec 1, 2006
Hii ni makala katika The East African la wiki hii, nimeiweka hapa ukumbini tuweze kuijadili. Hawa jamaa wa Nation media siku za nyuma mtazamoa wao kwa JK haukuwa positive na hivi tunaelekea kwenye uchaguzi tusome kwa makini coverage yao.

Sweet and sour Kikwete: The two sides of Tanzania’s president
By ELSIE EYAKUZE
Friday, April 23 2010

DAR es Salaam
With the general elections set for October, Tanzanians are asking themselves what kind of Head of State have we subjected ourselves to in President Jakaya Kikwete - popularly referred to as Jay Kay.

Whatever reasons drove us to vote him into power with an overwhelming majority in 2005, we have had a decent period of time to observe him as an individual and test the mettle of his leadership.

1. Firing people in high places: Former Prime Minister Edward Lowassa, the late Governor of the Central Bank Daudi Ballali, Former Minister and one-time Attorney General Andrew Chenge, a number of hapless District Commissioners and the rest of the smug untouchables who have been canned within the past three years can attest: that loud whoosh was the sound of political elites’ impunity flying out the window. There is something to be said for setting such a deeply satisfying precedent. One day we might even find someone guilty of corruption, but let me not get ahead of myself.

2 - Hiring good people: The current Prime Minister, Mizengo Pinda is a decent lifetime civil servant. Chief Justice Augustino Ramadhani, Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation head Tido Mhando, national football team Taifa Stars coach Marcio Maximo- all of them seasoned professionals who have been recruited, promoted, sometimes relocated in order to shore up important institutions.

And these are a just a few of the easily visible ones. Considering his vast powers of appointment Jay Kay seems to be gunning for good lieutenants rather than simply rewarding his puppets, campaign funders, political allies and other presidential hangers-on. Although, naturally, he must do that too.

3 - Doing his bit for democracy: Vain he might be, but Jay Kay is not driven by the egotistical Bigmanism that continues to plague so many African heads of state. His occasional tantrums seem to be reserved for instances of incompetence that waste his time, such as lapses in protocol at State House events.

He generally faces vocal opposition and criticism with equanimity. This has served to set an excellent tone: within reasonable boundaries, Tanzanians can happily cast aspersions all over the government.

We obviously take advantage of this, especially in the blogosphere. Since so much of democratic discourse relies on intelligently vocal malcontents, things are slowly looking up for us and for civil society. At heart, I suspect that Jay Kay genuinely believes in this whole public service, will-of-the-people business. True democrats are a rare breed.

SOURCE: The East African

Na hapa wamejaribu ku-balance kidogo

There are more issues to wade through but those are the main points for now. To summarize, Jay Kay is a good fit for this stretch of Tanzania's political journey: a free-marketeer with a redistributive philosophy, a technophilic democrat, a fierce patriot, a canny executive and a patient, dedicated, opportunistic man of ambition who lacks the predatory instincts that make the Putins of this world so creepy.

While I don't doubt that there are smarter, tougher, more sociopathic men out there who would make "better" leaders (read: more effective despots), Jay Kay is at worst inoffensive and at best very useful. This is not a bad range within which to work for a young African democracy.

It is not possible to clearly tell what jay kay has achieved because he has not achieved anything...and this post hardly points anything tangible done by kikwete (my opinion). We have come accross such articles from many sources but mostly the conclusion confuses us....I mean it is like we dont want to believe that he has done nothing!! Believe it, there is nothing...if it was there it could be seen and actually searching them/describing them wouldnt be necessary! Ni rahisi zaidi kuona kuwa ukienda kwenye atm machine sasa hivi unatoa elfu hamsini (kama ipo) badala ya elfu kumi ulokuwa ukitoa 4 years ago (500% increase)...yeye aliongeza mishahara asilimia mia tu kumbuka!! Kazi tuliyo nayo ni ngumu sana!!

Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Nijuavyo mimi jk ana sura nne.............

1.mpole ambaye anadanganywa na wasaidizi wake.....
2.mpenda maendeleo lakini hajui mbinu za kuyatafuta
3.mtu anaeogopa kufukuza watu.
4.msanii anayejua siasa zaidi kuliko wenzake.......

Sasa hawa East Africa wameanza lini kuwa trumpet blowers wa JK? JK hana sura yoyote, poor him hata hajua anachofanya bado yuko picnic. Hata hao watu waliotajwa eti ndio sura ya wachapa kazi hivi huyu muandishi wa nje anataka kutuambia anatujua kuliko tunavyojijujua? mimi sitaki kuwalaumu watendaji wake maana kawachagua mwenyewe ndio quality yake yeye kama kiongozi na upeo wake, lazima aji associte na watu wa upeo wake mdogo watu wenye uwezo mkukbwa hawezi kukaa nao kwa kua ni dictator, sasa cha kukushangaza kati ya yote did he have to change ma DC chungu nzima kumu accommodate Husna Mwilima kwa gharama za kodi zetu? maana uhamisho sio cheap, ufanisi gani aliouletea umma na uzuri watu wake mwenyewe wanamuumbua kazoea taarabu, maana wakiulizwa wanajibu 'namshukuru JK maana amewajibu wakina sofia simba' imagine, halafu tunajidanganya tuna waongoza nchi wakati ni waongoza matumbo yao. The good thing is one day he will GO' big time! na historia itamsulubu tu!

It is not possible to clearly tell what jay kay has achieved because he has not achieved anything...and this post hardly points anything tangible done by kikwete (my opinion). We have come accross such articles from many sources but mostly the conclusion confuses us....I mean it is like we dont want to believe that he has done nothing!! Believe it, there is nothing...if it was there it could be seen and actually searching them/describing them wouldnt be necessary! Ni rahisi zaidi kuona kuwa ukienda kwenye atm machine sasa hivi unatoa elfu hamsini (kama ipo) badala ya elfu kumi ulokuwa ukitoa 4 years ago (500% increase)...yeye aliongeza mishahara asilimia mia tu kumbuka!! Kazi tuliyo nayo ni ngumu sana!!

una akili sana wewe!safi

Aliyeandika article hiyo, ambaye ni dada, ni Mtanzania, na ametambulishwa hivyo katika gazeti la "East African" ambalo limechapisha article hiyo kutoka kwenye blogu yake. Siyo Mkenya.

Ulitaka aje kukuchotea maji nyumbani kwangu hajafanya chochote! mhhh! analysis zingine bana upupu mtupu

Amefanya mengi sana JK..october election will tell you the truce!..keep on crying

Ulitaka aje kukuchotea maji nyumbani kwangu hajafanya chochote! mhhh! analysis zingine bana upupu mtupu

Amefanya mengi sana JK..october election will tell you the truce!..keep on crying

October kwako kigezo cha utendaji wa JK?
umeishiwa kwelikxweli,

Jk anazidiwa na kiraja wa zamu shuleni,

Labda amefanikiwa sana kuhudhuria katika shughuli za misiba, hapo apongezwe sana

Ninashukuru kwa maoni yenu. kama mwandishi wa opinion piece husika, na matanzania mwenzenu, na isitoshe mwana-JF, ninaomba angalau tuwa na discipline ya ku-post maandishi yote kama yalivyo ni siyo nusu nusu kama alivyofanya mwanzilishi wa thread. maneno yangu yote yanapatikana kwenye blogu yangu: mikochenireport.blogspot.com. kwa kuwa ninao ujasiri wa ku-blog na kuandika kwa jina langu- yaani bila kujificha- may i challenge you to at least respond with honesty if not your name?

mimi siyo mkenya, ni mtanzania with big brass ones. tuanze hapo. let's make the democratic discussion...well, democratic.

yours in intellectual camaraderie,

L C.

Back
Top Bottom