The rise of LPG powered cars in Kenya

Sherlock

JF-Expert Member
Jun 2, 2018
About 800 Nairobi taxis and some private vehicle owners have converted their vehicles to using LPG locally sold by Progas at its autogas stations manned by trained personnel.

Kebs has also released standards for electric motorcycles, which has attracted several investors eyeing the boda boda subsector.

Sometime in 2011, Kieni MP Kanini Kega thought of importing a car. But the prevailing market at that time meant that importing the type of car that he wanted would be expensive, not only to purchase, but to run and maintain as well.

The MP said that his initial plan was to import a four-wheel drive Land Cruiser V8 that runs on petrol. But the cost of maintaining such a car in Kenya would be expensive. His dealer then notified him of a new “technology that is fast gaining popularity in western nations.

“When I heard of an option of buying a car that runs on gas, I was like why not. To me, the idea of owning a car with such a technology and which was only exclusive in Europe sounded interesting,” Mr Kega told the Saturday Nation.

That decision would not only prove exciting to the legislator, but also cost-effective. His expenditure on fuel was cut by almost 30 per cent, he says, as gas proved more efficient than petrol.

“I actually made the decision on impulse. And you know it’s a 4.5 litre vehicle, which would ideally be very expensive to run, but with the two options of petrol and gas, sometimes you do not have to worry about running out of fuel when you go to rural areas, that I mostly frequent as an MP, which in most cases lack petrol stations,” the mp said

The title should read...The rise of LPG powered cars in Kenya

Back
Top Bottom