The Growing Myth that Christian institutions are benefiting from GOVT subsidies

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Dear Moderator,

Allow me to convey my heartly felt sorrow to one of our misinformed brother who launched accusations towards our Christian brothers in this forum and he seems not to acknowledge the role played by Christian Institutions in our society at large! As great thinkers, we need to have facts to substantiate our so called "rumors/here says" especially those with religious hate related tone! why do i say this? It is no more secret, currently in our beloved motherland there is a growing trend of unpratriotic malicious attacks that target to character assassinate certain communities either in our media or here at Jamii forums and aims to erode our civilization as Tanzanians! As a coincidence, nowdays pragmatic facts are being twisted for some reasons that i fail to understand so as to achieve certain goals in our society even if it means to endanger our togetherness! For example, though the MOU signed between Tanzania Epistocal Council (TEC) and the Government of Tanzania (GOT) clearly states the areas of which the Agreement holds, our misguided brothers keep using that Agreement politically to air their disapproval of the existence of institutions that cater the basic needs of every Tanzanian; health and education being foremost. Reason being they are milking the Goverment (Govt) coffers!?

Who does not know, all religious run hospitals plus higher level institutions (including Islamic) are run through government subsidies in terms of salaries paid to the doctors and lecturers? Do we claim not to know why? Cause those institutions serve all Tanzanians (including the poor) irrespective of their religious affiliation! So for us to come here with attacks towards fellow Christian brothers tell me of how this country of ours has gone and how the country is becoming highly prone to some sort of religious extremism that politicians love to extort now but at the expense of our nation cohesiveness later! To back up my argument, i should crash the "screwed minds" and ask anyone of us, that does not acknowledge the services provided by those hospitals and higher learning institutions! I will want to hear anyone's testimony, that has never got services from any of the institutions below (see the links) among the others and tell me which of those has refused to serve any of us (or any Non christian)!

Likewise when we look at things in fearness per se, it is most likely the probability of us to have been served by one of those hospitals or schools/colleges in our lifetime is over ½ the way to Tanzania situation is! Historically in Tanzania, a number of church institutions where taken by the GOT under the first phase government, alleged for a reason to cater the need of everyone though everyone knows the main reason evolved from the belief of Ujamaa philosophy that every institution has to be run by the Central Govt, hospitals like Bugando, KCMC, and so many others were nationalized till when Pres. Mwinyi came to power and due to his charisma he acknowledged the need for those institutions to be run again by their original owners for the sake of delivering good services that the Government failed! Meanwhile still a number of teachers colleges that were taken from the Christian organizations (regardless of the fact that they served everyone non-segregatively no matter what denomination you belonged) are still under Govt ownership i think people can help me to identify them!

However, GOT under HE Pres. Mwinyi saw a need to involve religious institutions in social service provision, and the church (under TEC and Christian Council of Tanzania (CCT)) being aware of the cost and risks involved in running those institutions had to come up with Agreements with specific clauses that require the Govt to assist with the salaries bills for the workers and give tax cuts on infrastructural equipments needed to support those institutions cause are not for profit! I will be happy if we see how much have these institutions helped majority of Tanzanians and avoid a "distortion of facts"! And for those of us with reservation on the existence of such Agreements between institutions and GOT; get to know It is not a strange thing for what the GOT did, everywhere you go religious institutions get subsidies, whether in Saudi Arabia or Western Countries; cause they are NOT FOR PROFIT INSTITUTIONS i repeat they are NOT FOR PROFIT INSTITUTIONS!

Moreover they are not harmful to the laws of the country since they are mainly for humanitarian needs and they do not enterfere anyhow with the enterpretation or execution of the laws of the country! BTW, the tax cuts the church gets for its institutions are also available to every denomination that is in need of and ready to grab whether a Buddha, a Muslim or any other religion that exists! So please lets learn not to use HATE to formulate a crisis that link other denominations for this case Christianity with the election results that afterall were manipulated! It is no wonder such "shallow thinking" like ours resulted into a removal of tax exemption towards NGO's and religious organization citing poor accounting books; instead of making the culpits accountable! Who knows? Probably the Ministry of Finance (MOF) thought may be only certain institutions benefit and not others irrespective of the existing rights of every institution to access the exemption and in disregard of the fact that beneficiaries of services (poor Tanzanians) provided by those institutions! Or probably its seems easier to cut the maternal deaths with a tax exemption lift as HE minister bragged on his MKUKUTA I success this week!

My fellow brothers, let us emulate a good example of the Aga Khan Institution, an Ismail-Muslim organization that is involved in providing humanitarian needs both educational and medical of which even Christians are recipients, I fully appreciate them cause i know our Govt can't afford running everything and their services are in no way related to my spiritual beliefs! Let me say this, I am a staunch believer of the tasks of the GOT to be collecting tax and building infrastructure and leave service provision to private and public institutions! For me, the least the GOT can do is to provide more subsidies so as the widen the services provided by public and private institutions and make them be more affordable by the majority who are poor! why? Cause private organizations have proved to be capable of managing them more better than our Govt!

Christian Health Institutions
Mission Hospitals in Tanzania, HEALTH DEPARTMENT AND INSTITUTIONS, METROPOLITAN OF SONGEA, METROPOLITAN OF ARUSHA, Selian Lutheran Hospital, Arusha, Tanzania, Arusha Lutheran Medical Centre Home Page, http://019ae74.netsolhost.com/wordp...010/02/Singida-Regional-Referral-Hospital.pdf, Phase I of Singida Hospital is almost completed! | MSAADA Architects, http://www.dthd.org/, http://www.mvumi.org/Mvumi_Hospital/Home.html among the other

Christian Education Institutions
http://www.elct.org/tumaini.html, http://www.sekuco.org/index.php?limitstart=10, ELCT Contacts, METROPOLITAN OF DAR ES SALAAM, CHURCH OWNED/MANAGED SECONDARY SCHOOLS, ST. AUGUSTINE UNIVERSITY OF TANZANIA, TEC EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS IN TANZANIA, http://www.sjut.ac.tz/, http://www.mmu.ac.tz/about_mmu/history.html, http://www.teku.ac.tz/, http://www.stjosephtanzania.com/, http://www.theuoa.com/ among the other

NOTE: This is a sensitive issue in our society but guys, we can't run away from discussing distorted facts! pls lets abstain from HATE and PROVOCATIVE manner in knowing the TRUTH! Lets discuss the facts and not going into unfounded accusations...

How fair are the Christian Educational Institutions in providing Education to all Tanzanians without regard to their faiths?
Is the large convicing percent of people from other faiths benefiting from these institutions as well or it is just a picky inclusion of few of them inorder to avoid criticism, while perhaps these institutions purposely serve the majority of their students (Christians) at all tax payers money if any?

I disagree with you. Islamic Institutions do not depend on govt. subsides to pay the salary to its employee. This is FALSE argument.

Christians scholars, church, launch a massive fear campaign against JK; because he denies them govt. subsides.

Acha ubishi usiwo na UKWELI, JK anaandamwa na kanisa kwa sababu ya kusema ukweli.

Geza Ulole,

mada nzuri, ingawa kiingereza chenyewe kina ukakasi kiasi. Sasa, swali langu siyo la udini bali uwazi na uwajibikai. Makanisa yote hukusanya sadaka nyingi sana pamoja na michango kwa ajili ya miradi mbalimbali. Pia wagonjwa na wanafunzi hulipia gharama. Pesa hizi hutumika vipi, na waumini/wateja hushirikishwa katika maamuzi ya kuzitumia?

Geza Ulole,

mada nzuri, ingawa kiingereza chenyewe kina ukakasi kiasi. Sasa, swali langu siyo la udini bali uwazi na uwajibikai. Makanisa yote hukusanya sadaka nyingi sana pamoja na michango kwa ajili ya miradi mbalimbali. Pia wagonjwa na wanafunzi hulipia gharama. Pesa hizi hutumika vipi, na waumini/wateja hushirikishwa katika maamuzi ya kuzitumia?

ACCORDING TO MARXISM APROACH defines religion as an instrument of exploitation whereby few people ie.Pastors, bioshop,sisters,etc exploits the masses.

HAPO UTAJUWA KWA NINI WA2 HUANZSHA MAKANISA,kwi kwi kwi!

Geza Ulole,

Mzee hapa kuna mambo mawili ya kutenganisha, Ukiuliza matumizi ya sadaka kanisani unatakiwa uende mbele uulize matumizi ya sadaka Msikitini, hili ni la kwanza lakini la pili lilowazi; Waislam wana taasisi gani moja kubwa ambayo wataweza kusema inawahudumia watanzania kwa ujumla wao bila ubaguzi; ikiwa hata University ile ya majengo ya TANESCO haikuwekwa kwenye kitabu cha orodha ya Universities ili watoto wa apply; Jaribu kufikiri uendeshaji wa Hospital kama ya Bugando KCMC DDH zaidi ya 50 Je sadaka pekee itaziendesha? Huyo anayesema wakristo hawamtaki JK muongo hana DATA; wakristo wangekataa kwa umoja wao hizo kura angezitoa wapi?? Hayo majungu ya kuendeleza propaganda za Udini ambazo mwanzilishi wake ni ccm

How fair are the Christian Educational Institutions in providing Education to all Tanzanians without regard to their faiths?
Is the large convicing percent of people from other faiths benefiting from these institutions as well or it is just a picky inclusion of few of them inorder to avoid criticism, while perhaps these institutions purposely serve the majority of their students (Christians) at all tax payers money if any?
how fair is your Government when it comes education provision to all Tanzanians? check the roster of their students and you will see a number of other denominations enrolled at affordable fees!

Makondo
Kura alizopata jk ni za waislam na wakristu waliokataa udini.Hata hivyo ni bora umekubali kuwa jk alipata kura halali za wote sio za kuchakachua

ACCORDING TO MARXISM APROACH defines religion as an instrument of exploitation whereby few people ie.Pastors, bioshop,sisters,etc exploits the masses.

HAPO UTAJUWA KWA NINI WA2 HUANZSHA MAKANISA,kwi kwi kwi!

Misikiti je? Huwa inajianzisha yenyewe?

I disagree with you. Islamic Institutions do not depend on govt. subsides to pay the salary to its employee. This is FALSE argument.

Christians scholars, church, launch a massive fear campaign against JK; because he denies them govt. subsides.

Acha ubishi usiwo na UKWELI, JK anaandamwa na kanisa kwa sababu ya kusema ukweli.

To what extent are islamic institutions involved in provision of education, health and other basici social services??? Definitely, very minimal as compared to thier conuterpart; christians. Frankly speaking, christians especially the Roman Catholics have and still investing a lot in the course of serving the general public (not only their followers). Hence, why cann't they be subsidised by GoT on thier operations so that the cost of thier services can be affordable by poor Tanzanians!!!!

Nilikuwa gizani kumbe JK ndiye aliyeanzisha hizi ngojera za udini

You are spoiling the air as normal again Mr. Yahaya10 (John10)! Formerly Islams concentrated on "Hell Education" and insisted their follower to ignore "World Education" that cannot help them to get 70 wide eyed ladies at the end of the earth! Now are complaining nonsensically that are left behind with those invested early in "world education" which leading the WORLD! Whichever you sow is that you will harvest.

Waswahili husema "debe tupu haliachi kutika". Haya mambo ya udini haya kuna watu wanataka kunufaika nayo. Kwa bahati mbaya hayawanufaishi hata kidogo ndio maana kila siku wanalialia kama watoto wadogo wakihisi watapata sympathizers.

Is the Government footing the bill for the salaries of the Christian run Educational Institutions member staff?.

.... if one opts to sit on it, that being, on their very own rear, doing nothing in the procees whilst others are buisy, well involved in all sorts of socio-economic activities I do not think that you even ought to guess who could be elligible for whatever what might be termed as benefits or waivers, be it in taxes or whatsoever.
The art of sitting down on ones rear is well enjoyed in that huge coastland, that territory which is well inhabited by lazy bones of various calibre. Had it been that tsetsefly and the associated sickness is the main cause to KULALA TU, one could even attribute to sloppiness in thinking to the same affliction, only that it is not! Animists, Pagans awake and demand your share as well!!! That too is faith aint it?

Back
Top Bottom