Elections 2010 The Federal Republic of Tanzania 2015

Sungi

Apr 29, 2009
I have keenly followed the debates in the house, among other things, the question on union between Tanganyika and Zanzibar, both sovereign countries. While I despise those questioning the motives on the union, and vehemently disagree on "serikali tatu" proposals, I think that as we discuss the making of our new Constitution, Tanzania should be a federal government. We shall have one President of the Federation, and let all 27 (?) regions become states (together with those in Zanzibar), have Regional Commissioners, who are appointed by the President, run for their positions in a general election, and have two houses of parliament, lower house, whose members will be elected according to popular representation, i.e., bigger regions (states) with a larger population will have more members (in the lower house) and have 2 members from each region in the upper house. For those who know how the United States Federal system works, you will see that this is basically akin to their system. If we change our system to what I propose, I am sure, we will cure the political stalemate, and create competition between regions (states) as far as development is concerned. I am currently working on an exhaustive proposal that addresses these questions.

Back
Top Bottom