Tanzania's Leadership and The Power Crisis in Tanzania: Who is responsible?

...Yes anybody with more details of Steingler gorge please!

AND

before that ..let me put it straight forward... those leaders they are our reflections...

we shouldnt not take any complain with them ,before were done with ourselves ...WE HAVE ALL THE POWER!!

In Egypt, people revolted demanding better living conditions. Let us not find comfort on Mkaa, Vibartari and Mishumaa and declare there is no need for electricity!

Let politics in technical essues burn those who abide with it, BUT I want our Minister for energy to go to Kenya so that power could be supplied to Kilimanjaro and Arusha regions when we wait for those consuming Committees to come with lovish solutions. Power might be introduced in Kigoma and Tabora from neighbours as well. These are temporary solutions when we wait. Open investment awards may be announced so that TANESCO is releaved of its present non ending burden of BLACK- OUTS

Hakuna haja ya kulaumiana tulikubali wenyewe kuchakachuliwa sasa tutachakachuliwa mpaka tuchache! Hiyo style ya kiegypt na kitunis hatuiwezi watanzania wala tusidanganyane the spirit of white people hata siku moja haitofanana na blacks, blacks spirit haina umoja :embarrassed:, kumbuka waegypt na watunis ni weupe wale, na hushangai Ivory Cost wameshindwa kumwondoa Gbagbo,leo hii watanzania ndo mtaiondoa serikali iliyoko madarakani,ndoto za alinacha...
Nawatakia uchakachuliwaji mwema

I'm a bit confused. If we keep complaining it wont help! JK once said with arrogance "kelele za chura hazimzui ng'ombe kunywa maji"...meaning they will continue to do nothing.

These politicians know we, citizen, make noise but we don't take action. How long are we going to continue like this?

I dont think we need to have Bunge session now. What are they doing there? Honestly tell me one reason for them to continue sitting in Dodoma taking "poshos", our money for nothing.

We should take ACTION now. The system is already broken. We MUST fix it now. Otherwise, keep quit and life goes on.

This is not a joke but we are in serious trouble and it appears that nobody has a clue on how to resolve the power crisis or there is no political will to address this with long term goals.

It is now almost 25 years since we started to experience "normal" power outages and we have lost billions of dollars through bogus contracts, lawsuits and decline of revenues which are due to a severe decline in production caused by power outages.

The "best" we have done is to do patch work and strategies to power Tanzanian homes, offices and industries, but even this short term goal is clouded with an "Excellent" degree of corruption and inefficiency from the policy makers and the Government to ensure that the problem get fixed permanently and not through short term contracts or importation of 3 horsepower generators to light our houses, hospitals and schools.

We do not need rocket science methods or superhuman brains to figure this out. We need for our Government to address this not through lavish speeches and tons of committees or task force, but to put its foot down and resolve the problem for good.

We have abundance of alternatives to fix this problem, invest on building Steigler Gorge, privatise the energy sector by ending TANESCO monopoly as power producer (distributor), end and stay away from the short term goals and band aid fixtures that brought us IPTL, Richmond and Dowans and invest more into Green Energy.

If Kenyans, Ugandans, Rwandese and Mozambique can do it, why not Tanzania? What is so hard to fix this?

Can we put aside the partisan bickering and come up with a long term strategy and comprehensive plan to electrify Tanzania?

The fact that this crisis has been going on for years, one may come to a conclusion that Tanzanians have accepted, and feel like they deserve this hardship as part of their way of life.

I agree with you,it is the civil servant arm that failed to lead these ****** politicians.

You are missing the point.We decided to call it quits because the civil service is plagued by too many problems and there is no solution in site. Things will never be the same again.After all how can you lead a fool.Time will tell what will happen to Tanzania.

There is no better evidence of our narrow focus than our nation's dismal power sector. The nation's erratic power supplies has constituted great drawback to both the small scale entrepreneurs and large scale manufacturers. The economy of any country hinges on power. Nothing can be done without electricity as barbers, carpenters and the likes use the facility. It is basic to whatever we do. The negative impact is indeed unquantifiable. It's going to be difficult to operate while you get only four to five hours electricity supply in 24 hours.

Many businesses are now forced to rely on back-up diesel generators for their power supply. In some cases businesses are spending almost as much to power their generators as they are on rent. At the same time, you want to encourage investors to come and invest in Tanzania. Unless an urgent solution to the epileptic state of power supply in the country is found, no more multinational companies will come to invest in Tanzania and those which are already in may dump Tanzania for other African countries.

Successive governments have tried to fix the power problems, but powerful vested interests and the chronic mismanagement of state-run utility has meant no progress has been made.

You know what, Opposition failed to use our power shortages and outages as reflection of Kikwet's innefficiency and ineffective ladership.

He worked in the Energy and Mining ministry for 6 years, starting in 1988 to 1994. He started as deputy minister for two years and became a full minister for the last 4 years.!

So how can he fail to manage the Power issue effectivelly?

Niliandika hii article two years ago, na mpaka leo principle za hii article ni valid. Tanesco + serikali ndio tatizo.

Few weeks ago the debate about TANESCO and DOWANS diffused across the media and local political arena. To my understanding this is not the first time to see the battle between Wananchi and Tanesco. Last year the name Richmond was added in Kamusi ya Kiswahili as a new vocabulary in power industry, and then few years ago it was IPTL. Tanesco has been part of the problem for many years, however recently our leaders saw the urgency of change. Despite, none of them provides the realistic path toward that change.

Tanesco control the whole Tanzania power system (Generation, Transmission and Distribution), that make them a monopoly on that sector. Because of monopoly status Tanesco influenced the over priced of services, inefficiency, lack of transparency to the shareholders (wananchi) and poor cost management structure. Tanzania economy is growing by average of 6%, with over 200% increases in Foreign Direct Investment since 1963 when Tanesco was formed. However, less than 15% of Tanzanian has access of electricity even though Tanesco has been in business for the past 46 years. In addition, those who have electricity face 130 days of power outages in a year (equal to 4 month and 10 days in a year). The power outages increase the operating cost for different industries which ends up reducing the total profit of those companies, and as a result Tanzania government collect less revenue through taxes.

In order for Tanzania to maintain 6% economic growth, increase the national revenue and archive MKUKUTA and MGD (which I don't think it can happen), the urgency of energy reform should be on top of the list. Few things can be done toward that reform and this is my humble opinions.

First, Tanesco must be commercialized. This will include the revamping of the whole Tanesco value chain. Also, the door should be open for outsourcing some parts of the value chain as long it will increase efficiency and reduce management cost. This will provides a good transition process toward privatization.

Second, Tanzania government needs to create National Grid Management Council (NGMC) which will include engineers, lawyers, management gurus and qualified policy maker. The purpose of this council will be to advice the government toward the whole reform. For instance at the beginning the council will focus on advice the government toward the crafting of legislation which will provides a legal basis for power sector regulation, unbundling and privatization. Also, NGMC will assemble the team (the Czars) which will take over the management of Tanesco. This team will focus on one thing, a transformation of Tanesco into a competitive model.

Third, after NGMC assembled (the Czars) management team for Tanesco, the government should limit their power to broad policy issue. The Czars will operate day to day administration activities. This team will need to perform its activities professional with more freedom and without undue from any other interested party (government, parliament or consumer). For instance, if necessary the Czars will impose new price which will be necessary to recover costs, or the Czars might announce the massive lay off in order to reduce labor cost, or they might liquidate several assets and use the cash for new tech and better improvements. The independence of the Czars doesn't mean lack of accountability; the Czars should be accountable to the law lather than a minister which changing a day-to-day political priorities.

The fourth step in the reform process is unbundling. Unbundling means dividing Tanesco into separate companies on a vertical or horizontal or both bases. To my opinion I believe Tanesco needs vertical unbundling, means breaking Tanesco into three companies, where each new company will focus on one of the three major electricity functions: generation, transmission or distribution. The three companies will do business with each other on commercial basis and nothing otherwise. This will provide a good bridge toward privatization.

Finally, after the government enforced all of the above then private sector participation could be allowed. To limit the 100% take over, the government should own more than 40% stake, which in the future should be floated in DSE for Tanzanian to own part of each of the three main power companies.

I should put it clear that, this process will take more than five steps that I proposed, however I strong believe this steps can provide a strong debate among Tanzanian which might end up toward reforming of Tanesco. To tear down the bureaucratic organization like Tanesco will need more than a page and half proposal. Despite that, there is no golden bullet when it comes reform any power sector, to mention in few we saw in California, Chile, New York and Argentina.

if dictactorship rule can be applied for just six month no political solution will be applied in crucial issues in this country

hilo Steigler Gorge lipo wapi? lina capacity kiasi gani? tuna uwezo wa kujenga na ku-supply umeme kutoka hapo?
privatisation ya umeme Tz haikuanza na richmond na dowans? wao wametupeleka wapi?
privatisation na kuvunja monopoly ni vitu viwili tofauti. sheria ya umeme sasa ivi inasema nini kuhusu kuwa suppliers wengine? wapi panahitaji kubadilishwa?

Stiegler Gorge mkuu ipo mto rufiji na ina uwezo wa kuzalisha umeme tukaondoa tatizo la umeme tanzania na maji yake hayaitaji mvua kunyesha sasa la kushangaza watu wanafikiria kujenga a Nuclear Power Plant badala ya kuangalia a cheaper option kama hii. Vilevile kuna umeme wa makaa ya mawe kwanini wasiufufue kuzalisha umeme. Tanzania if they are serious tunaweza kuzalisha umeme tukawauzia hata majirani zetu, but viongozi wetu wanataka kujifanya hawayaoni haya kwani wanaopt katika project ambazo wanajua na wao wanafaidika.

Mimi nilicheka sana mwaka jana wakati wa kampeni za uraisi, wakatuambia wanafikiria kujenga Kigamboni City!!!

One time nikawa nawaza, tutapata wapi energy ya kutosheleza!!! Wenye akili tulielewa ni yale yale ya CCM na serikali yake kudhani waTZ bado tumelala!!!

Pwer problems in TZ ni kwa kuwa watawala hawahitaji miradi mikubwa kama SG, maana itaua tena short term plans za kukununua generators, ambayo ni njia ya wazi ya kuiba!!

I believe the solution goes beyond that ( I have interpreted that government means the executive branch). Personally, I am in of the opinion that every civil servant needs to resign!

Let's not stretch things. Civil servants? This is entirely a political problem. The majority of civil servants are also victims of the corrupt and twisted system run by the current ruling clique (politburo/nomenklatura/eminent domain) in CCM. If you really wish to broaden culpability for power failure then include the whole citizenry that keeps voting the crooks back into office. Let's not pretend not to see what's obvious in this country: it is politicians who decide what is "professionally and technically" appropriate. You do not agree with them, the door is wide open for you; let someone "more competent" than you take over.

It really irks me to learn that such a drought prone country like Ethiopia is showing the way in hydropower development by building articificial dams and generating enough electricity even for export. If they had even a quarter of the resources we have, I believe power shortage would have been history - as our insincere leaders keep lying to us.

Until we Tanzanians decide to cast away the illusion of "peace and tranquillity" and take our leaders to task for irresponsibility, we should forget about getting anything done the right way.

This is not a joke but we are in serious trouble and it appears that nobody has a clue on how to resolve the power crisis or there is no political will to address this with long term goals.

It is now almost 25 years since we started to experience "normal" power outages and we have lost billions of dollars through bogus contracts, lawsuits and decline of revenues which are due to a severe decline in production caused by power outages.

The "best" we have done is to do patch work and strategies to power Tanzanian homes, offices and industries, but even this short term goal is clouded with an "Excellent" degree of corruption and inefficiency from the policy makers and the Government to ensure that the problem get fixed permanently and not through short term contracts or importation of 3 horsepower generators to light our houses, hospitals and schools.

We do not need rocket science methods or superhuman brains to figure this out. We need for our Government to address this not through lavish speeches and tons of committees or task force, but to put its foot down and resolve the problem for good.

We have abundance of alternatives to fix this problem, invest on building Steigler Gorge, privatise the energy sector by ending TANESCO monopoly as power producer (distributor), end and stay away from the short term goals and band aid fixtures that brought us IPTL, Richmond and Dowans and invest more into Green Energy.

If Kenyans, Ugandans, Rwandese and Mozambique can do it, why not Tanzania? What is so hard to fix this?

Can we put aside the partisan bickering and come up with a long term strategy and comprehensive plan to electrify Tanzania?
Heshima mkuu,
Umeanza vizuri, lakini hiyo kwenye nyekundu ndio imetufikisha mahali tulipo?
I Dis-agree on the notion of privatising what you have already term as "....threat to our National Security"
I agree the need to electrify Tanzania if not the Mass.
I conquer, there is a power crisis in Tanzania and needs be addressed asap.
Someone/Somebody got to take the blame!

Lets face the hard truth!

Lets talk about our own power as human beings!

Who dare go to that conner? ...almost nobody for the unconscious fear of what we might realise!

And what is the realisation?

..That we are cowerdly fearful of the politicians! We tremble to our knee when they repeatedly messing with our rights!

..am saying again...

THE POWER CRISIS, as Electricity, water, fuell, minerals ..and all the resources in the counrty is a reflection of our own intrisic power as human!! WE HAVE WEAK "HUMAN POWER"

We have no courage to meaningfuly confront the politicians and they know this ... and they play with our febleness character... and that is why we get it... feble electicity power and all feebleness in runing and managing the country!

Till when we will recollect our own as Noble and respectable human being and face this people firmly and correctly.... nothing will be better in our life!

Heshima mkuu,
Umeanza vizuri, lakini hiyo kwenye nyekundu ndio imetufikisha mahali tulipo?
I Dis-agree on the notion of privatising what you have already term as "....threat to our National Security"
I agree the need to electrify Tanzania if not the Mass.
I conquer, there is a power crisis in Tanzania and needs be addressed asap.
Someone/Somebody got to take the blame!

Tanzania government need to split Tanesco into three segment. Generation, Transmission and Distribution. Then privatize the whole thing, no government in the world can run any company for profit.

Back
Top Bottom