Tanzania's 4th Phase Government -Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete

Jan 22, 2017
JK admittedly did not have a grand plan for the country. I think his strategy was to just sail along and that is what he did. He did not disrupt anything he had inherited from Mkapa. Foreign policy was as good as previously and he generally did well. It was only during his phase of government that we began to see some measures of accountability being taken for senior executives who had perpetrated corrupt practices and as you remember some heads rolled among the executive.

Musiba associates JK with EPA and the Escrow frauds and forgets that it was his government that actually investigated these frauds and took action against its perpetrators. Balali was sacked as the Central Bank Governor, Yona and Mramba went to Court and five Ministers were forced to resign. This had never happened previously!

Our relations with neighbors were excellent and he came up with nice slogans even if there were not effectively delivered.Kilimo Kwanza being one excellent example.

His biggest contribution was in his belief in strengthening institutions and it was during this phase that we had the most brilliant transformation of the Police Force under IGP Mwema. Mkapa had his thuggish counterpart in IGP Mahita. Similarly the Judiciary, Attorney General Chambers, PCCB, the National Audit Office of Tanzania, etc. were adequately resourced to start to do their jobs effectively.

He did well in redressing the gender imbalance as more women were appointed to high office and in the executive. He connected very well with the ordinary Joe in the street and that is his biggest legacy. To this day he is very well connected with the grassroots politics and he is still a joy to be with.

He tolerated the opposition and gave space for disagreement. Dialogue was and I think still is his strongest trait; an accomplished diplomat.

His appointments were very well balanced for Tanzania as he considered the different social strata of Tanzanians although I recall a few murmurs of his alleged tendency to appoint swahilis.

JK’s biggest failure was in failing to plan his replacement, he did not have, in good time, his preferred single candidate in mind and consequently left a void that was only filled by chance and this brought up an unknown character in the top office.

Brilliant analysis, though you spared him some really tough criticism on issues like squandering money on foreign trips, resources give-away, not understanding the worth of Tanzania, a scullion mentality and of being a Mzungu b.m kisser!

JK admittedly did not have a grand plan for the country. I think his strategy was to just sail along and that is what he did. He did not disrupt anything he had inherited from Mkapa. Foreign policy was as good as previously and he generally did well. It was only during his phase of government that we began to see some measures of accountability being taken for senior executives who had perpetrated corrupt practices and as you remember some heads rolled among the executive.

Musiba associates JK with EPA and the Escrow frauds and forgets that it was his government that actually investigated these frauds and took action against its perpetrators. Balali was sacked as the Central Bank Governor, Yona and Mramba went to Court and five Ministers were forced to resign. This had never happened previously!

Our relations with neighbors were excellent and he came up with nice slogans even if there were not effectively delivered.Kilimo Kwanza being one excellent example.

His biggest contribution was in his belief in strengthening institutions and it was during this phase that we had the most brilliant transformation of the Police Force under IGP Mwema. Mkapa had his thuggish counterpart in IGP Mahita. Similarly the Judiciary, Attorney General Chambers, PCCB, the National Audit Office of Tanzania, etc. were adequately resourced to start to do their jobs effectively.

He did well in redressing the gender imbalance as more women were appointed to high office and in the executive. He connected very well with the ordinary Joe in the street and that is his biggest legacy. To this day he is very well connected with the grassroots politics and he is still a joy to be with.

He tolerated the opposition and gave space for disagreement. Dialogue was and I think still is his strongest trait; an accomplished diplomat.

His appointments were very well balanced for Tanzania as he considered the different social strata of Tanzanians although I recall a few murmurs of his alleged tendency to appoint swahilis.

JK’s biggest failure was in failing to plan his replacement, he did not have, in good time, his preferred single candidate in mind and consequently left a void that was only filled by chance and this brought up an unknown character in the top office.
I beg to differ on numerous things. What about tax collection and the use of public funds?