Tanzanian emcee in BET Hip Hop Awards

Belo

JF-Expert Member
Jun 11, 2007
America's BET Hip Hop Awards pays tribute to Tanzanian hip hop as rapper Gsan of the group X Plastaz from Arusha, Tanzania participates in this year's BET cypher among legends such as KRS One, Wale, Mos Def, Eminem and dj Premier. The awards show is broadcast on October 27 on BET (Black Entertainment Television) in the USA.

The annual BET Hip Hop Awards are watched by millions of hip hop fans across the United States. Especially the part of the show in which Gsan participates, titled the BET Hip Hop Awards cypher, is highly anticipated as it's a true gathering of giants in rap music. The cypher, in which the artists go back to the raw essence of hip hop, sees legendary dj/producer Premier team up with emcees such as Mos Def, Black Thought, Eminem and Joe Budden. The section in which BET pays tribute to the growing popularity of hip hop from East Africa by including Gsan has the Arusha-born rapper performing alongside veteran rapper KRS One along with newcomers Wale and Nipsey Hussle.

The inclusion of X Plastaz in this year's BET Hip Hop Awards came about when BET contacted X Plastaz, after seeing their music video ‘Nini dhambi kwa mwenye dhiki' on the Youtube website. ‘Nini dhambi' which has drawn over 400.000 views is one of the most popular East [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIa2i29PZ4"]African music[/ame] videos on the web. Gsan flew out to Brooklyn, New York where the cypher was pre-recorded in an empty factory building. His contribution was a rap in Swahili over an old school loop, cut up by dj Premier. While Swahili language hip hop was something new for the other artists, KRS One and Premier were full of love for the African input into this year's cypher.

After recording the cypher, Gsan attended the Awards ceremony which took place in Atlanta on October 10, and which will finally be broadcast next tuesday, October 27.

Says Gsan in an interview with Emcee Africa presenter Lee Kasumba: "Well, the Cypher segment was recorded in New York before the actual award ceremony. For me, it was just amazing to be there with people like Eminem, KRS One, DJ Premier playing the beats, and being able to showcase what I had. Many people were blown away with what I did and asked me why I rhymed in Swahili ‘cause they wanted to understand. I was just like ‘English is not my first language, I speak it, I love it but you will be able to mess me up if I rhyme in English'. There were emcees from all over the world in one setting, and I was happy to represent for Africa. I wasn't starstruck, just glad to showcase what I did and could do with my American counterparts. I mean, think of it, we really have the same names, just one word changes, African American and African, do you understand what that means?"

Watch Gsan from X Plastaz in the BET Hip Hop Awards cypher on tuesday, October 27 at 8 pm (EDT) on BET. Outside of USA the cypher can be watched on Youtube from the day after the Awards show.

Official BET Hip Hop Awards website: http://www.bet.com/specials/hiphopawards09

X Plastaz website
: http://www.xplastaz.com

Also see this clip in which dj Premier announced the participants of this year's BET Hip Hop Awards cypher (mispronouncing Gsan as ‘Anson')

Hawa ndio wasanii sio kina Chidi Benz kazi yao kupigana kila siku

Hawa ndio wasanii sio kina Chidi Benz kazi yao kupigana kila siku

Mkuu ni kweli jamaa ni mkali ila kuna factor nyingine iliyochangia kupata chance hiyo ikiwemo umaarufu wa Xplastaz huko majuu na si vinginevyo. Akina Chid wanastrugle lakini hakuna wa kubabeba kama hawa jamaa wa A town walivyobebwa, jamaa wameanza kupiga tour ulaya kabla Chid haja record hata demo tape bongo.

Hawa jamaa (Xplastaz) tangu amefariki Nely wako kimya sana

HipHop in Africa lives, nasikia raha sana kuona mtu wetu wa eastizuu akiwa kwenye cypher na wazito wa hiphop.. you gosta love it. Big up X plasters, I have to check them out.

I was just like ‘English is not my first language, I speak it, I love it but you will be able to mess me up if I rhyme in English'.

Kanumba sijui Manumba unasikia maneno hayo?

Also see this clip in which dj Premier announced the participants of this year's BET Hip Hop Awards cypher (mispronouncing Gsan as 'Anson'):

XPlastaz - Wadudu wa kuuma

In the growing international African hip hop scene, the Tanzanian group X Plastaz is one of the most familiar names. Through concert tours in Africa, Europe and Latin America, a worldwide album release and tracks on compilations such as the Rough Guide to African Rap, they have become the ambassadors of East African urban music.
X Plastaz call their music ‘Maasai hip hop’, a unique mixture of traditional Maasai chanting and elements from hip hop, dancehall and even Hindi music. Their conscious Swahili lyrics strike a chord with the Tanzanian youth on the streets, who can relate to topics like Aids, unemployment, divorce or life in prison. The group has worked hard to raise the standards of Tanzanian hip hop which is evident from their releases, music videos and stage shows. They have a faithful fanbase worldwide and are embraced by the press.
Early days
Brothers Ruff, Gsann and Ziggy used to work in a haircutting saloon in Arusha, a city in the heart of Maasai land, and started rapping in 1995, initially joined by rapper OCG who later continued as a solo artist. X Plastaz’ first single ‘Bamiza’ became a big hit in East Africa in 1998 and it was distributed across East Africa on a pirated compilation cassette. In 2001, X Plastaz added their 13 and 11 year old brother and sister to the group, as well as Yamat Ole Meipuko, a Maasai singer who lives a traditional lifestyle in a remote village. Yamat had won various Maasai singing competitions, and immediately added a unique vocal element to the stew of Swahili rhymes and tough hip hop beats.
Arusha to the world
Between 1997 and 2001, the group had become the most popular rap group in their region Arusha and beyond. Their vocal styles inspired artists and fans all the way to Dar es Salaam, for example in the song ‘Haleluya’ with its chorus which would be the blueprint for a whole generation of Bongo Flava artists.
In 2001 X Plastaz got a first chance to perform and record abroad in the Netherlands. This led to the release of their critically acclaimed first album ‘Maasai Hip Hop’ on the German label OutHere records. A string of performances, tv and radio gigs and shows in different countries followed.
In November 2002, X Plastaz performed in Holland again as the main act in a show on World Aids Day in the Tropical Institute. In July 2003, their European tour led them to Couleur Cafe Festival (Brussels), Rita Ray’s the Shrine night (London) and the Respect Festival at the Millennium Dome (London). Both the audience as well as the press considered their performances to be highlights of the evening. Promo copies of X plastaz songs started to create a buzz among world music radio dj’s in Europe such as Russ Jones (Future World Funk) and Francis Gay (WDR) and their track ‘Msimu kwa Msimu’ was considered one of the highlights of Worldmusic Network’s compilation ‘Rough Guide to African Rap’. The music videos ‘Aha’ (filmed in a traditional Maasai village) and ‘Ushanta’ ended in the Tanzanian national video top 5, and were played frequently on Channel O (South Africa). In 2005, X Plastaz played at PercPan festival in Rio de Janeiro and Salvador (Brazil).
Faza Nelly
In March 2006, the saddest moment in the group’s history occurred when member Faza Nelly (born 1976 as Nelson Chrizostom Rutta) died after a stabbing incident as he was negotiating in an argument between neighbours. Click here to read more about the events surrounding his death. Faza Nelly was one of the founders of X Plastaz. His sympathy for the poor and needy in society translated into all X Plastaz songs. His positive, unlimited energy and good wit made people fall in love with the group wherever they went. Nelly’s last work was the song ‘Nini dhambi kwa mwenye dhiki’, dedicated to the poor and needy in Tanzania, whose video was shot on the active volcano Ol Doinyo Lengai, which had a major eruption on the day Nelly died. The video is one of the most popular African music videos on Youtube with currently 400.000 views.
X Plastaz are back
X Plastaz have decided to keep the flame alive and continue on Nelly’s path of entertaining international crowds while sending out messages of peace and wisdom. X Plastaz now remains five rappers/singers. The group performs in variable live settings, from two vocalists and their dj Threesixty (known from his work with Outsidaz, Freestyle Felowship, Redman) to the ‘full set’ of five artists on stage. Yamat, Diney and Kamaa live in Tanzania, while Ziggy and Gsan currently reside in Sweden and USA.
In 2009 they started recording new songs for the follow-up to their first album ‘Maasai hip hop’. A music video was recorded for the first single ‘Furaha’, and more work is in the making, continuing on the refreshing musical path that the group have walked over the past decade. With a performance of group member Gsan at the BET Hip Hop Awards (USA) and a production of dj Threesixty for Def Jam artist Redman, the music of the group has entered a new domain.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kwa kweli inatiya moyo kuona machali wa RUSH between two A's[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wanakubalika kimataifa kiasi hichi[/FONT]​

The 2009 BET awards will be live on BET at 8PM ET on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 equivalent to 6:00:00 AM Wdnesday, October 29, 2009 Tanzania time. So kwa wenye DSTV mnaweza kuicheki hii show kupitia BET channel asubuhi ya saa 12.

Kwa wale walionana BET hip hop awards, huyu kaka mwenye rasta mtanzania kweli namkubali.

Ana mashairi ya uhakika tena kaimba kwa lugha yetu ya taifa hongera kijana.

"Sisi na safari na muziki ni asili".Hichi kipande kimetulia mwanawane.

Kweli inatia moyo ili na wengine wakaze boot;ni vizuri kusikia/kuona watu wengine bila kujali lugha unayotumia wakiikubali kazi yako.
Hii inaweza kupelekea watu wasiojua Kiswahili wakaanza kuchukua hatua za kutaka kujifunza na kuifahamu lugha yetu Kiswahili.