Tanzania: The Legacy of President Jakaya Kikwete (2005-2015)

Ntamkumbuka alivyofunga safari kwenda kubembea Jamaica, kwa hili Jk ntamkumbuka daima!
Najua ni swali zito lakini kwa wanaofuatilia siasa za nchi yetu hawatapata shida kutaja 'legacy' ya kikwete in case urais wake unaishia leo. Kwa kutumia michango yenu wadau wa JF tunaweza ku-generate legacy ya kikwete. Karibuni sana kwa michango!

Wakuu tusichanganye mambo.Legacy ni kama hivi,Rais Mstaafu Mwinyi tunamwita mzee wa RUKSA.Mkapa Tunamwita Mzee wa UWAZI NA UKWELI.Hayati Nyerere Mzee wa UJAMAA NA KUJITEGEMEA.Spika Sitani Mzee wa SPEED AND STANDARD.Je Kikwete atakumbukwa kwa legacy ipi?

Mie nitamkumbuka kama rais aliyezikataa kura za wafanyakazi kwa sababu tu wafanyakazi walikuwa wanataka waongezewe mishahara

Mojawapo ya Marais legelege kabisa waliopata kuepo kwene sayari hii. No balls at all.

I should start by declaring that two of my family members were directly appointees of Jakaya in his first term of presidency. To that end, I have indirectly become a benefactor of his presidency, and this fact might persuade some readers to delegitimize the contents of this document.

Also, I have spent not more than 90 days in Tanzania throughout his presidency; education and work assignments have kept me outside of my homeland for a long time. I might not be the best judge of his performance.

But as every other African will tell you, Tanzanians love their country-and I have been keeping tabs of the state of our politics throughout my adulthood.

We have had 4 presidents so far in our infant country, and these gentlemen brought different style of leadership. But Jakaya is probably the most criticized for rather deserving or undeserving reasons.

You see, we Tanzanians are luckly. Nyerere presided a nation with a clear vision to empower and create independent thinkers out of Tanzanians. He pushed education in its empowering version-not to accumulate knowledge, but to become the means of livelihoods.

This foundation had enabled our transition towards democracy much easier and more meaningful. Democracy is useless, and can be an authoritative tool if the mass is misinformed. However, during Benjamin's (who I regard as an intellectual) presidency he did treat Tanzanians as children.

There was a free press that was fearful of the state and you can say that Benjamin was not comfortable enough to be ripped (or his government) in the press daily. This had resulted into fewer leaks and fewer scandals being presented to the press. It doesn't mean that there were no scandals.

Jakaya is massively criticized because Tanzanians are being aware of how the government is functioning, and we do have an awful ineffective bureaucracy (this is not new). Contrary to Benjamin, Jakaya truly believe that Tanzanians deserve to know everything.

He is comfortable enough to be ridiculed in the press because he understands that is how a democratic system should work.

Nowadays, we complain about the press being too free that they write upuuzi. From Tanzania Daima, MwanaHalisi, Raia Mwema, to name few dailies and weeklies that make a living ripping this government.

To me this is one of his biggest achievements, trusting the people to know everything, and make their decisions on the ballot accordingly. He has had his disappointments (umeme & corruption), and his triumphs (hardcore part of education and infrastructure) but I do commend him for allowing us to talk sh!t about him freely.

Moving forward, Tanzania is on the cusp of taking off. We have this great foundation in place, we just need a reformer and visionary at helm to steer us the right way.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), this is our generation challenge. Anybody who was alive during independence shall not attempt to run for presidency in 2015. You have the wrong mentality.

We are free already. We just need a leader who is blind of 1961 euphoria, who understand the global dynamics and can negotiate with global leaders without feeling inferior to them.

In mean time, let us scrutinize these politicians regardless of their party affiliations-and question the authenticity of the dubious journalism, because the well-being of our republic depends on an informed citizen.

At our inner core, Tanzanians are independent and moderate, it is the way we have been engineered. We cannot afford to lose this trait now, as the future has never been so bright.

Posted by Thuwein at Politics, Society & Things

Have the Tanzanians been 'allowed' to talk freely now than ever before, or is it that the times have changed in terms of technological advancements in media and social networking, where people have come to know more about their rights? Were the Egyptians, Algerians, Syrians and the rest who are speaking out now 'allowed' to do so?

Our corrupt govnment wamekula pesa(Mafisadi) and donors are demanding back their money, just wondering what would happen if they can't afford to pay them back! Maybe Tanzania would be auctioned...or what would happen? (just a thought). Intergrity is never related to our leaders simply because they've created thoughts of fear!

One overcomes such a fear by among other things, being kind to oneself and to others which gives empowerment and strength to stand up for what is right! Until our leaders and we Tanzanians in general see that deep inner peace and joy comes from being in allignment with the inner spiritual values, we'll never behave with intergrity!

God have mercy and may you deliver us from this evil by creating a new generation who'll put you in the first place!

Point of correction!the author is the young son of retired Makamba not Kikwete (remain to be corrected) and he had declared interest from the beginning as being a part of nobility that enjoyed and continue to enjoy stake of ours.

Two presidential appointee from the same family indeed "like father like son" not an easy task.This shows how people benefit from ruler despite the fact that there is no ''blood relation" among the family to say.

I was wondering on the statement before i read the name of the author.After being disturbed by the "beneficial statements" i found the need of knowing the owner who later i came to realise was Thuwein Makamba.

Yes politic goes where it feels well, i mean the family (Makamba).Our colleague is talking from abroad expressing the "legacy" of his Excellency Kikwete.I hope the guy has fed up with the fruits of the ruling "with no question".

Good example is this; while we are struggling with our poor education in our country,they are the one's who are taking better education and jobs in and abroad. That means a lot ...if you see Mwanvita Makamba,January Makamba and the rest of the family and other family stakeholders.While we are thinking a little to eat (food) our colleagues concentrating on where to buy good things/service they want.

Generally the statement of Thuwein Makamba shows where the real "heaven" they are!If you read the statement directly you can figure out the difference between thought of "stomach" and that of "brain".

Thuwein Makamba is just an example of those noble classes if not royal of our ruler's sons,daughters,brothers,sisters and others who know where the sweet part of the state belongs.

I could have admired him for the statement expressing the hard time of which Tanzania Citizens are facing from the rulers specifically Kikwete.I repeat ''the Thuwein's statement is a ''stomach'' statement and we don't surprise to hear from him and his colleagues of the same calibre.

Thuwein; and your point is ? I can stomach the fact that 2 of your family members are direct appointees, what am trying to get from ths article is what is the message you want to convey ?!

I clearly remember mwanahalisi editor getting face to face smear with 'tindikali' that was the price he paid for being too critical to the beloved, under contract period farce we got rid of Tido Mhando, after policemen being exposed, Jerry also is a has been

So thts media, and whether he is too humble to be humiliated UTAMU blog would have still be reigning far and beyond....why was that shoddy thng closed? Its after hitting home !!

And when did ministers start whining about media freedom ? This is after candid camera got them out of their stupor um sorry usingizi!...

Mwananchi is yet to publish Filikunjombe on his knees, kids as his audience begging for mercy !

Anyways enough of that, we would have had forums,discussions board above everything else, now let's get back to this business of him being our president, can we get some notable milestones ?!....

Uuuh n Thuwein did ur dad with his mearge CCM pay funded ur eloquent(sp) education ?,

Duh... Aisee Campaign zimeanza mapema.... lakini bahati mbaya kaka won't be of age in 2015 unless katiba is changed.....

Back
Top Bottom