Tanzania: New entrants in list of top exam schools

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
Thu, Feb 9th, 2012

Thu, Feb 9th, 2012Tanzania |
Thu, Feb 9th, 2012..

Feza-Boys-Secondary-School-student-Moses-Swai.jpg

Feza Boys Secondary School student Moses Swai, who was the best candidate nationally in last year's Form Four examinations, celebrates with the school's headmaster, Mr Isa Otcu, after the exam results were released in Dar es Salaam yesterday. PHOTO | JULIANA MALONDO

Dar es Salaam
– Private schools continue to dominate the list of top performers in the national Form Four examinations, but the competition is set to rise as students from new schools edge out old favourites from the list. The schools that produced the best 10 students in the 2011 exams include Feza Boys, Marian Girls, St Francis Girls, St Marys Mazinde Juu, St Joseph Millennium and Thomas More Machrina.

Last year's performance registered slight improvement over the 2010 results, but the list of best performing candidates is still dominated by privately-owned schools. Schools with a marked improvement in recent years include Feza Boys, St Joseph Millenium and Canossa, all of Dar es Salaam, and Kasita Seminary of Morogoro.

But the level of cheating has also risen along with improved performance, according to the results released yesterday by the National Examinations Council of Tanzania. The council is now threatening to bar exam cheats from re-sitting their papers for up to three years. (see separate story on cheating)

Announcing the results at the council's headquarters, NECTA's Executive Secretary, Dr Joyce Ndalichako, said 225,126 of the 426,314 candidates sailed through. "This equals 53.37 per cent, which is an increase of 2.63 per cent compared to the 2010 results," she said. A total of 223,085 or 50.74 per cent of students who sat for the 2010 examinations passed.

A total of 349,390 school candidates sat last year's examinations. Of that number, 199,019 were boys and 150,371 were girls. In 2010, 363,589 students sat the same examinations. "This means that there was a drop of 14,209 for school candidates," Dr Ndalichako added. Among private candidates, there was an increase of 6,409 candidates to 100,934 candidates with boys numbering 49,506 and girls 51,428.

A total of 459,324 candidates registered but only 426, 314 candidates ended up sitting the examinations, according to Dr Ndalichako. The number of examination centres rose from 4,653 in 2010 to 4,795 in 2011.

Source The Citizen

Is this School Mama Kikwete has a share? I hear is a very good school, i mean students learns a lot ...

Well, i cannot blame Mama Kikwete on that... our kids are getting better Education ...

Mbona shule yenyewe hujaitaja?
Is this School Mama Kikwete has a share? I hear is a very good school, i mean students learns a lot ...

Well, i cannot blame Mama Kikwete on that... our kids are getting better Education ...

Back
Top Bottom