Tanzania multiple birth surprise

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Tanzania multiple birth surprise
By Vicky Ntetema
BBC News Online, Dar es Salaam

Africa's population is expected to double by 2010
Two sets of quads, two lots of triplets and twins were born at a Tanzanian hospital, while experts in the country discussed Africa's growing population.

"Five mothers delivering a total of 16 babies at a go is a big surprise to us," Muhimbili Hospital paediatrician Augustine Massawe told the BBC.

They were all born premature, but should be able to go home with their families in two weeks, he said.

Hundreds of experts are looking at how reduce Africa's population growth.

By 2010, Africa's population may double if growth trends are not reversed.

Some 700 experts from around the world have been meeting in Arusha to discuss how Africa - which UN estimates has a population of 850m - can cope with the knock-on effects of high population growth.

Challenges

Twenty-six-year-old Ashura Athumani, who gave birth to quads, looked healthy but exhausted after the birth.

I remember once when a parent who had four children here - their husband ran away because he was so scared

Dr Augustine Massawe

She has three other children and expressed her concerns for the health of the newborn.

In the same ward, Mariam, 25, nursed her babies and said she was over the moon to have a set of triplets.

It was not until the later stages of her pregnancy that she found out that she was carrying three babies - as in Tanzania not every woman is given an early scan.

She added that there would be financial problems ahead as she and her husband had not been prepared for more than one baby in their first year of marriage.

Dr Massawe says the parents will have to face many challenges head on in their effort to raise their new children.

"It's like a crisis in the family - imagine you've got four babies in one go," he said.

"I remember once when a parent who had four children here - their husband ran away because he was so scared."

Recently Muhimbili Hospital has come in for unwanted media attention after a man died in surgical mix-up because they shared the same first name.

Patients are now tagged with their name when admitted.

What is causing this? I know in the west it is linked to fertility treatment, what about bongo? I doubt that 25-26 year old moms are that much into fertility treatment, or is that so?

May be hizi ni baraka tu! Sasa ukiomba Mungu mtoto mmoja- akikupa watato au wanne kwa mpigo- sii baraka hizo?

Africa's population is expected to double by 2010

To double by 2010? Ina maana tuta double in 2 years? Then when will the next doubling occur?

Haya ndiyo yale yale mambo ya kutoa percent bila kusema ni percent ya nini.But this is even worse, muandishi mzima kusema uozo kama huu.Are we to take this seriously and it's not even April 1st yet? So in 2 years are we going to add some 800 million or so people? How?

To double in 2 years one needs a population growth rate of about 41%, je tunayo hiyo population growth rate? Nchi zenye growth kubwa sana ziko kwenye 2.5 birth rate, ukiweka na immigration minus vifo you hardly reach 3%.

Anataka kusema nini?

She can't be serious!

Bubu I was so shocked I went to the horse's mouth, and the doubling year there is 2050. 42 years for our average 2% per year popultion growth is nothing out of the ordinary, actually a bit delayed if you think in therms of compound growth.

vipi uli i-doctor article ku-sensationalize au ni wao walichemsha?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7138087.stm

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom