Tanzania: Geita Gold Mine Refutes Human Rights Abuse Allegations

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
25 MARCH 2012

THE Management of Geita Gold Mine AngloGold Ashanti (GGM) has strongly refuted allegations of human rights abuse as published in one of the English daily papers late last week.

The Managing Director at Geita Gold Mine, Mr Gary Davies said in a statement on Monday that his company takes all allegations of human rights abuse very seriously and that the unsubstantiated allegations require comprehensive and impartial investigation.

"The management of Geita Gold Mine has contacted police and other government authorities requesting a full investigation," he said.

An article titled "Guards rape woman at Geita Gold Mine" published on March 16, 2012, included allegations of serious human rights abuses and criminal acts at Geita Gold Mine. The newspaper further alleged that the firm's security guards were oppressing and humiliating Nyakabale and other neighbouring residents.

Mr Davies said that contrary to allegations in the article, management at AngloGold Ashanti's Geita Gold Mine was not contacted in relation to the article nor did they decline to comment. He said the firm's Community Manager, who was quoted at length by the paper, was never interviewed in relation to the content of the article.

"AngloGold Ashanti values transparency as the basis of credible and trusting relationships with host communities and all of our social and business partners," he noted. He said the company was committed to exhausting investigation of any such reports and would provide additional information to the public regarding the allegations as soon as possible.

Tagged: Business, East Africa, Human Rights, Mining, Tanzania

We should have known better; Our People are abused and the GVT does not have a power to say anything!!!

GreatThinkers,
No research, No right to Speak.

Stop:gossip: Don preach:blah:

We should have known better; Our People are abused and the GVT does not have a power to say anything!!!
AS a famous Jounalist,
i respect you very much. Ask politicians to look for vaccination of the problems, Cure is somehow meaning less to me.
Do tanzanian politians realy walk their talk????

Back
Top Bottom