JF-Expert Member
Aug 30, 2007
Never heard of this Tanzania Education Trust

Tanzania+Education+Trust+Gala+Reception+uFEjGf2ojUNl.jpg

Tanzania+Education+Trust+Gala+Reception+Ajk-rXJWg1fl.jpg

Tanzania+Education+Trust+Gala+Reception+eTPrm88rsJ1l.jpg

Tanzania+Education+Trust+Gala+Reception+whnTcQKmhaZl.jpg

Tanzania+Education+Trust+Gala+Reception+KZGRWuKaz8ql.jpg

Designer Kenneth Cole (L) and President Jakaya Kikwete attend the Tanzania Education Trust New York Gala hosted by President Jakaya Kikwete of the United Republic of Tanzania at Plaza Athenee on April 19, 2010 in New York City.

lauryn-hill-tanzania-1.jpg

x350.jpg

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/WkRXDdiSRqA/Tanzania+Education+Trust+Gala+Reception/NjRmYLvfmNb

Ndio mwendelezo ama 'muigo' wa 'Tanganyika Education Trust ....' ya JKN?

Just being curious baada ya kuona hizo picha. Je ni fedha kiasi gani zimetumika katika ku-host hiyo Tanganyika Education Trust New York Gala? Je Rais amesafiri all the way kwa ajili hiyo tu? Fedha ngapi 'endelevu' zitaweza kupatikana kutokana na 'investment' ya safari hiyo?

Wahenga walisema "Kupanga ni kuchagua"!

Kwanza watueleze ni nini hasa, na pesa gani inatumika katika ku-host hii kitu! Huu ni wizi wa pesa ya mlipa kodi wa Tz!!!

Correct me if I am wrong here. What education is JK banking on here? To my knowledge, he has never even spoke to Mlimani or any other Varsity stakeholder here in Bongo to improve our education standards let alone going all the way to US.

Am I missing something here? Was minister for Higher Tech not capable of attending this Gala? What about Tanzania ambassador to US?

This is a total loss.

Correct me if I am wrong here. What education is JK banking on here? To my knowledge, he has never even spoke to Mlimani or any other Varsity stakeholder here in Bongo to improve our education standards let alone going all the way to US.

Am I missing something here? Was minister for Higher Tech not capable of attending this Gala? What about Tanzania ambassador to US?

This is a total loss.
Tatu,
Balozi wa Tanzania Marekani Ombeni Sefue alikuwepo. Ukipekura picha za hiyo events utamwona. Alikuwepo pia waziri Maghembe na waziri wa utalii.
Huyu Goodwill ambassador nasikia kishapewa mbuga ya wanyama na Kikwete kule Arusha. Ila labda ningependa mtu atupe tuisheni juu ya hii Education Trust na kazi zake.

Anyone have any info on this "Tanzania Education Trust"? tried googling it but i can't find any info

Tatu,
Balozi wa Tanzania Marekani Ombeni Sefue alikuwepo. Ukipekura picha za hiyo events utamwona. Alikuwepo pia waziri Maghembe na waziri wa utalii.
Huyu Goodwill ambassador nasikia kishapewa mbuga ya wanyama na Kikwete kule Arusha. Ila labda ningependa mtu atupe tuisheni juu ya hii Education Trust na kazi zake.

That's ridiculous then. The whole Tanzanian government attended this "No Good Show Off" Gala? For what? How come, We citizens know nothing about it?

That's why I say this guy is a total loss. Why did he has to come if the Minister and the Ambassador were there? It doesn't add up at all.

I hope some media people will ask him these questions.

Finally, a little information about this Education Trust

1.6tr/- sought to boost education in 5 years
From JOHN KULEKANA in New York, 20th April 2010 @ 16:30, Total Comments: 0, Hits: 64

TANZANIA is struggling to overcome challenges brought about by success in transformation of the education sector including shortage of teachers, textbooks, libraries and laboratories that need enormous financial resources.

President Jakaya Kikwete said this here late Monday that over the last six years Tanzania has made big strides in primary, secondary and tertiary education. However, he said, the country was now facing challenges that needed enormous financial resources estimated to cost 1.2 billion US dollars (about 1.6trillion/-) over the next five years and strongly appealed for support.

He said six years ago, 35 per cent of children of school going age were not in classrooms, now 96 per cent are in classes and there were efforts to get the rest in schools. Mr Kikwete also said there were 105,525 students in universities as compared to 38,370 five years ago.

“We have expanded tertiary education by increasing the carrying capacities of existing universities and building a brand new 40,000 capacity student university at the new capital (in Dodoma),” he told the over 100 audience at a New York Hotel.

He described the growth in secondary education as “the most phenomenal,” saying in 2000 the country had 927 secondary schools but the number rose to 4,102 last year representing 400 per cent increase.

“The enrolment grew from 261,896 to 1.46 million students during the same period. A point worth noting is that most of this expansion happened in the last four years.

“Between 2006 and 2009 some 2,377 secondary schools were built and the student population grew from 524,325 in 2005 to the 1.46 million. “These successes have created a number of challenges. We have a big shortage of teachers as teacher to student ratio is 1:50. Here in the USA the ratio is 1:16.

“The current requirement for secondary school teachers is 103,321. But we only have 44,738, leaving a shortage of 58,583 teachers. We need 13.5 million more text books. At the moment, 15 students have to share one book, while here in US every student has his/her own book.

“There also shortage of 9,486 science laboratories and 35,840 housing units required for teachers,” he explained.

He said for a poor country like Tanzania with a GDP of US 25 billion US dollars raising US 1.2 billion US dollars over the next five years was a daunting challenge.

“We have undertaken to tackle these challenges using in the first place our own resources and efforts, including giving the education budget the number one priority,” he said.

Mr Kikwete acknowledged the support of development partners around the world, including the United States in the education sector.

“We know that a progressive and effective education system is the foundation of a vibrant, stable and self-sustaining democracy and the best assurance of long-term social and economic development.

“We have a vision to move from a low income country where annual per capita income is about 500 US dollars to a middle income country by 2025.

“We know that if 70 per cent of our population benefits from quality secondary education, we can attain that target even earlier,” he said.

Meanwhile, President Kikwete on Monday night also launched the Tanzania beyond Tomorrow, which is the inaugural project of Tanzania Education Trust. He said the project was intended to empower all students in the country with access to innovative technologies in their classrooms.

“We intend to pilot the first technology-enabled classrooms in August, this year and roll out the project in all 3,162 government secondary schools in the country in the next five years.

“The price tag for this initiative only is over 100 million US dollars,” the president noted.

President Kikwete has also picked an American businessman and photographer, Mr Douglas Pitts, as Tanzania’s Goodwill Tourism Ambassador in the United States. Speaking at a special ceremony during the announcement of Mr Pitt’s appointment, Mr Kikwete acknowledged his efforts in promoting Tanzania to the US market.

“I understand that you have been visiting Tanzania quietly, taking photographs, doing business and supporting various humanitarian projects,” Mr Kikwete said after presenting him with a certificate of his appointment.

He hailed Mr Pitts for accepting the offer and asked him to continue with the good work he has done so far and maintain his love for the country. Natural Resources and Tourism Minister, Ms Shamsa Mwangunga, who accompanied the president at the ceremony, underscored the importance of the fast growing US tourism market.

She said that last year 66,000 tourists from the US visited Tanzania, up from about 5,000 arrivals ten years ago. The minister said that the US was now the leading source of tourists to Tanzania ahead of Britain and Germany.

She said last year 700,000 tourists visited the country and expressed optimism that the number would increase due to enhanced marketing and promotion drive.

Meanwhile, President Kikwete left for home yesterday, after a week-long official tour of the United States. During the visit he attended a high-level consultation meeting on implementation of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on the reduction of maternal and childhood deaths.

http://www.dailynews.co.tz/home/?n=9254&cat=home

Back
Top Bottom