Tanzania and Uganda sign rail pact with Chinese firm

i thot all communications with u were forthwith terminated till u grow a brain cell or two. I sense deficiency is an issue still. infact am not contibuting on any issue you raise . What was the word again, 'grandiose blah blah'. i dont need your attention, just stay clear. Whoever told u hard vocabulary deployment makes u any relevant did u a great injustice. Newsflash, this aint England. I respond to Geza, Bantugbro only and any jf member but you, you can keep wallowing in ua grandiose...wat was it again? I lost it somewhere along the way. #not relevant.
Acha uwoga!

National
Activists oppose plan to build railway through national park

By FLAVIA LANYERO (email the author)

Posted Wednesday, December 28 2011 at 00:00
In Summary
Transport Minister Abraham Byandala said Parliament did not need to approve the deal because the Chinese are carrying out the feasibility study free of charge.

KAMPALA
Uganda and Tanzania have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with a Chinese construction company to build a railway line passing through the Serengeti National Park to Kampala. However, conservationists have opposed the development, saying it is against international conservation treaties and that it will affect seasonal migration of the wild beasts through the park.
The Serengeti is a continuation of the Greater Mara Ecosystem which is famous for its exceptional population of big cats, game, and the annual migration of zebra, Thomson’s gazelle, and wildebeest from the Serengeti every year from July to October, famously called the Great Migration.
The Minister for Transport, Mr Abraham Byandala, yesterday confirmed to Daily Monitor the signing of the MoUs which begin with the China Civil Engineering Construction Company conducting a feasibility study worth about $450 million for the proposed railway route from Tanga port to Musoma on the shores of Lake Victoria from where a new railway ferry route will then connect across the lake to a proposed new lake port in Uganda.
The new port would then be connected by a rail link to Kampala and beyond.
Mr Byandala said construction of Bukasa port has already began. This is despite the fact that two lake ports already exist at Port Bell and Jinja, which are currently underutilised.

“I signed for the state minister to travel and sign the documents and if he did travel then the memorandum should be signed,” Mr Byandala said. He added that Parliament did not need to approve the deal because the Chinese are carrying out the feasibility study free of charge. The railway would also open up pending mining concessions in the area between Serengeti and Musoma and possibly give the much needed green light for a soda ash factory at Lake Natron in Tanzania.
‘Dirty’ deal?
According to Prof. Wolfgang Thome’s blog, the past president of the Uganda Tourism Association, the timing of the signing of the MoU was well chosen as many, including conservationists, are on vacation and could not pay much attention.
Uganda’s conservation groups, who were not aware of the latest developments, said this move paints a bad picture to the country which has signed conservation treaties and it is important the Ministry of Transport makes public the feasibility studies and mitigation measures put in place for scrutiny.
“The government should follow certain guidelines in major investments in protected areas like the national park. This development should not have a negative impact like disrupting the migration routes for wild animals, we are interested in seeing the Environment Impact Assessment for the route,” the Executive Director Advocates Coalition for Development and Environment, Mr Godber Tumushabe, said.
The Executive Editor of the Ecological Christian Organisation, Mr Isaac Kabong, said if the project will disrupt wildlife and tourism, then it is a setback to the conservation and tourism sector of the region and a bad name to the country for not honouring conservation treaties.
flanyero@ug.nationmedia.com
Activists oppose plan to build railway through national park*- National*|monitor.co.ug

MY TAKE
I would have felt not cheated if the same journalists will be talking on the endangered Marine ecosystem in protected Lamu! This sort of journalism shows there are hidden agenda behind the conservation! The same Nationmedia owns Monitor and what they do is smear campaigns! This so called Prof. Wolfgang should explain to us where was he when a city of Dresden in his native country was scrapped from World Heritage site after building a bridge across a protected site for him to campaign hard on keeping the Serengeti in its pristine nature? Is this the same person that was complaining about TANAPA closing the Bolongoja gate claiming the reason to be protectionism and contrarily to the spirit of East Africa that advocate influx of tourists in the reserves under one visa system!? why everyone become a champion of African affairs and not on his home affairs? Anya person with brain can tell us that the Serengeti with 15,000 sq km is a disadvantage to the livelihoods of the inhabitants living in its surroundings! But these retarded westerners don't see that to be a point enough to allow infrastructure within the ecosystem be it a tunnel or a road (across the shortest stretch) that will cause minimal effects! They are dreams are to see our mothers walking 40 kms fetching water and to have the reserve intact for their touristic adventures while they are not ready to pay (ecotax/Pigovian tax) for the costs incurred to the community for keeping the park in its original form considering they are deprived of the necessary social services that they are supposed to have in the name of conservation!

Very strange, we seem to have left the fact that the Tanga Port renovation and extension plans involve destroying the breeding grounds of the endangered species of a variety of Marine beings, not forgetting the rare 'COELACANTH' type! I do not know where you live = Geza Ulole, but it seems it is NOT in today's Tanzania!

There is no way ANYONE can finance either a flyover or a tunnel to go accross the Serengeti!! The best options, viable and sustainable - as well as benefitting the local rural communities; have been strongly suggested and just as strongly oppossed plainly for POLITICAL reasons!

Those who are voicing their thoughts about preserving Nature and protecting the Environment should not be labelled WESTENERS just because of their views - name calling does not solve our problems, it just proves the weakness of our arguments!

Kwa nini hamtaki kuuangalia ukweli usoni? Or is this our normal 'Uswahili' culture of saying 'HAYA BWANA, YOTE KHERI'??

Lamu works has already been secured...dont dare go to that. comparing Kenyan economy to tz doesnt need a genius. If by spending you imply the middle class populace, i dont buy it. CIA has most of the time gotten it wrong esp when its Africa. We have massive frauds in Kenya but atleast we have massive developments altogether and which are productive. Everyday theres a new project, be it geothermal (do u know the costs implied here), rail systems, roads, mineral contracts, hospital services...talk of a country that knows where it wants to be and invests wisely.

At present state, only 10% of our economy is funded by foreign parties, can the same be willfully said about yours? Be a gentleman, we are only discussing viability of rail projects not economy particulars, snap out of it.

The only country we have been serving by rail is uganda, the rest pick it from there. If ever uganda reverts to utilising the rail system en masses, then the proposed Mombasa Malaba route will be just fine and almost adequate to render your rail system irrelevant.

Remember its all about the Ugandan people (clients) and not the governments, the people will obviously choose the cheapest mode of transport available to them factoring distance# i insist, kenya is corrupt so is tanzania but when national interests are on the line funding can never be an issue.

Just to clarify, this major scandals you are talking about were extensively perpetuated under Mois regime, presently controls are so tight you wont last long. Heard of computerising all govt transanctions? The govt portal was proposed for that specific purpose. (to track flow of finance)
bring evidence here! and that 10% budget support is when someone like you is fooling himself in disregard of how much of development/technical assistance do Kenya receive?

bring evidence here! and that 10% budget support is when someone like you is fooling himself how much of development/technical assistance do Kenya receive?

am actually responding to you via mobile, could you please google 'amount of Kenyas economy funded by foreigners', narrow it to the past year. Youll be surprised via world bank stats its 15%, for other EAC members its 40%. Very reliable source.

am actually responding to you via mobile, could you please google 'amount of Kenyas economy funded by foreigners', narrow it to the past year. Youll be surprised via world bank stats its 15%, for other EAC members its 40%. Very reliable source.
Is this something to be proud of? Poor you!

Is this something to be proud of? Poor you!

i think your only seeking attention, i have said it over n over again, conversing with you equattes to crap talk. I wasnt making show off, am exchanging ideas with geza, when can you just grow up?. please get the difference between the two.

i think your only seeking attention, i have said it over n over again, conversing with you equattes to crap talk. I wasnt making show off, am exchanging ideas with geza, when can you just grow up?. please get the difference between the two.
seeking attention? are you serious?

well i wanted two things from you, one is Kenya has secured funds for Lamu port i.e. over US$ 20 bio. and second tell me with evidence like sources that other EA country's received 40% budget support (I know Tanzania's fell to around 30%) and Kenya received 10% (though you just said 15% now!). And show me of how much of development/technical assistance Kenya receives and tell me why so? in a country that is able to fund its budget to the tune of 90%!

well i wanted two things from you, one is Kenya has secured funds for Lamu port i.e. over US$ 20 bio. and second tell me with evidence like sources that other EA country's received 40% budget support (I know Tanzania's fell to around 30%) and Kenya received 10% (though you just said 15% now!). And show me of how much of development/technical assistance Kenya receives and tell me why so? in a country that is able to fund its budget to the tune of 90%!

lappset project as a whole is undergoin feasibilty studies but the port construction as a consituent of the lapsset is to take off somewhere around next year. You have the google utility, info is free to come by, about funding i actually knew its ten percent like you. i neva wanted propaganda so i gave u what i could scratch, al rescratch the link and keep you posted but u have an informed background of the dynamics of E.A.

Lemmie kill the topic from further advancement on my plattform. Nyc discussion, wish EA a better economic future.

Very strange, we seem to have left the fact that the Tanga Port renovation and extension plans involve destroying the breeding grounds of the endangered species of a variety of Marine beings, not forgetting the rare 'COELACANTH' type! I do not know where you live = Geza Ulole, but it seems it is NOT in today's Tanzania!

There is no way ANYONE can finance either a flyover or a tunnel to go accross the Serengeti!! The best options, viable and sustainable - as well as benefitting the local rural communities; have been strongly suggested and just as strongly oppossed plainly for POLITICAL reasons!

Those who are voicing their thoughts about preserving Nature and protecting the Environment should not be labelled WESTENERS just because of their views - name calling does not solve our problems, it just proves the weakness of our arguments!

Kwa nini hamtaki kuuangalia ukweli usoni? Or is this our normal 'Uswahili' culture of saying 'HAYA BWANA, YOTE KHERI'??

uache ku-copy and paste issues that saltened and biased in STSH na kuleta huku nshakuambia! i do call them Westerners kwa vile hawajua realities on the ground for them to sleep in a manyata is an adventure that they don't want to be eradicated and not their daily realities!

lappset project as a whole is undergoin feasibilty studies but the port construction as a consituent of the lapsset is to take off somewhere around next year. You have the google utility, info is free to come by, about funding i actually knew its ten percent like you. i neva wanted propaganda so i gave u what i could scratch, al rescratch the link and keep you posted but u have an informed background of the dynamics of E.A.

Lemmie kill the topic from further advancement on my plattform. Nyc discussion, wish EA a better economic future.
I will be happy if u substantiate what you talk down here with sources otherwise i find u to be living in the World of illusions just like many other Kenyans do thanks to ur media! Next time, just try to back up your statements if especially you are requested to do so!

Kashindwa kuokoa wananchiwaliokufa Dar ataweza ya reli? Yeye aendelee kwenda kucheza mdundiko tu ndio anauweza haya mengine kasingiziwa.
Wewe kama sio kina Kamau basi utakua na asili ya Kitutsi..sasa hayo mengine yaliyowezakana kafanya nani? kwani rais au waziri ana uwezo wa wa KUOKOA WALIOKUFA? kiswahili chako kina matege ndio nikashtuka kwamba wewe sio katika sisi.Yesu tu ndio aliwafufua wafu...shuwain weee

Back
Top Bottom