Tanzania agrees $800 million loan from S. Africa and China for reserves and budget GAP

Mzalendo JR

JF-Expert Member
Jun 6, 2012
Tanzania agreed $800 million of loans from Rand Merchant Bank and China Development Bank Corp. to bolster its foreign-exchange reserves, as the country shores up a weakening currency, and plugs the budget deficit.
Talks with Johannesburg-based Rand Merchant Bank to raise as much as $600 million and $200 million from China Development Bank are being completed, said Joseph Masawe, the Bank of Tanzania’s head of economic research and policy. RMB will raise the money through a private placement, while CBD will finance the loan from its own balance sheet, he said.
“We are expecting about $800 million and we think before the end of this month we should be able to receive from both banks,” Masawe said in a phone interview Monday from Dodoma, the capital. “We have finalized the details and we are hoping this will improve the supply of foreign currency.”

Tanzania’s shilling weakened 21 percent so far this year and is Africa’s worst-performing currency, after Ghana’s cedi. Last year, foreign donors including the World Bank and the U.K. said they would withhold $558 million of budget aid because of a corruption scandal in the energy industry.
The budget deficit is expected to widen to 4.2 percent of gross domestic product this year from 4 percent last year, according to Paarl, South Africa-based NKC African Economics. The government is reducing its reliance on budget support to 3 percent of total revenue in the fiscal year that begins on July, from 7 percent in the current year, NKC said in an e-mailed research note.
Tanzania’s central bank sold $339 million to lenders from January to April to support the shilling, it said on May 4. A 13 percent slump in gold shipments to $1.4 billion in the year through to March and the government’s “external obligations” contributed to the shilling’s decline, Masawe said.
While the central bank says it has enough resources to defend the currency, it has “scaled down sales” of foreign currency to banks.
“About 65 percent of the currency depreciation is due to strengthening of U.S. dollar and 35 percent is attributed to internal factors and speculation by banks,” Masawe said.

My Take...
We are here because of these corruption regime, if our currency is the worst performing in Africa what about our Economy? Are these figures absolute and have meaning or we are heading to the NO MAN'S LAND?. As of today our TZS is trading at 2,200 against the Dollar.
No any efforts to increase our Exports but we hugely Imports from abroad, I see no any remedy being made any time soon.....

Tanzania Agrees $800 Million of Loans for Reserves, Budget Gap - Bloomberg Business

BAK please come this way we are on the way to increase our debt.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: BAK
Wizi mtindo mmoja mkuu, wanaiba kwa speed ya kutisha. Nadhani mwisho wa mwaka huu deni la Taifa litakuwa limefikia trilioni 50 ongezeko la trillion 40 kwa miaka 10 tu.

even through I welcome the shoring up of the shilling- the excuses given by BoT don't make sense. 65% depreciation is due to the stronger dollar? how integrated is Tanzania's financial system with the global economy? The depreciation of the euro against the dollar was 60% caused by QE(domestic policy)-and Europe is fully integrated with the global financial system.

From my point of view-it should be the other way around 65% domestic-starting from escrow, unnecessary government expenditure(BVR), excessive domestic borrowing for recurrent expenditure.

God Bless Tanzania!!!

I agree there is no strategy. How come the Governor never mentioned about lower oil prices? doesn't that reduce the demand for foreign currency? why only concentrate on the supply side? If Gold exports have plummeted than Oil prices fell by more than 40 percent too! oil consists of 30%of total import while Gold earning less than 3% of total export earnings!

He never mentioned about earnings from Gold but only export value!

• Thanks
Tanzania's shilling weakened 21 percent so far this year and is Africa's worst-performing currency, after Ghana's cedi. Last year, foreign donors including the World Bank and the U.K. said they would withhold $558 million of budget aid because of a corruption scandal in the energy industry.

I agree there is no strategy. How come the Governor never mentioned about lower oil prices? doesn't that reduce the demand for foreign currency? why only concentrate on the supply side? If Gold exports have plummeted than Oil prices fell by more than 40 percent too! oil consists of 30%of total import while Gold earning less than 3% of total export earnings!

He never mentioned about earnings from Gold but only export value!

The US are now using their oil reserves just to show how they can not depend on the EAST, thus the dollar supply is very low in the market. But my concern is we keep demanding the dollar because we are not selling abroad(Exporting). The only way to export is to produce and process our products.
Kuna viongozi wakuu kabisa wa nchi hii wananunua mchele from Brazil and Japan while our farmers suffer the price decrease. Nchi hii inaongozwa na wafanyabiashara wasiwadanganye eti ni watoto wa wakulima. Promoting Kilimo kwanza bila kua na tija ndo huku.

Tanzania my Motherland is dying....

Tanzania's shilling weakened 21 percent so far this year and is Africa's worst-performing currency, after Ghana's cedi. Last year, foreign donors including the World Bank and the U.K. said they would withhold $558 million of budget aid because of a corruption scandal in the energy industry.

The people involved in Escrow account theft some have been cleared and are on the way to a top Presidential post. What is this????... Our parliamentarians with their ill-thinking denied about the restrictions on the $558 millions by our Donner countries on the basis of Escrow Tegeta theft. This is it....

• Thanks
even through I welcome the shoring up of the shilling- the excuses given by BoT don't make sense. 65% depreciation is due to the stronger dollar? how integrated is Tanzania's financial system with the global economy? The depreciation of the euro against the dollar was 60% caused by QE(domestic policy)-and Europe is fully integrated with the global financial system.

From my point of view-it should be the other way around 65% domestic-starting from escrow, unnecessary government expenditure(BVR), excessive domestic borrowing for recurrent expenditure.

God Bless Tanzania!!!

These are the holes for siphoning our country by the so called brave corrupt guys we choose to trust. BVR and the like are just things we can not do as a priority. Baada ya vitambulisho vya taifa kusuasua BVR was the thing we wont avoid for them to benefit.

We should definitely increase value added exports buts this cannot happen ovrrnight or with a rapidly depreciating currency!

We need is a competitive exchange rate not an excessive weak or strong currency-they needs to have a balance between import and exports!

You are talkkng about petro dollars? We have already indirectly benefitted via lower oil prices@

Yaani kila safari ya JK ni kama kawa ndio anaaga hivyo, wananchi sie tubaki kuchagua tena mafisadi.

Mnaongeza maji hata kwenye imported sugar kuzidisha uzito,
Haijawahi kutokea sh kuporomoka kiasi hiki.

Vitu vyote vinapanda bei na matokeo yake wananchi wakishindwa kununua, wataingiza bidhaa feki so people can afford

Back
Top Bottom