Suspects confess to killing baby Kham

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
Kampala

“I convinced the housemaid after I bought her a mobile phone. I later told her to buy for me air time as I take care of the baby,” was what Mr Godwin Tumusiime, one of the three people suspected of killing one-and-half-year-old, Kham Kakama, told a magistrate yesterday. The confessions were yesterday recorded behind closed doors in extrajudicial statements before a magistrate at Nakawa Court in Kampala.

Same tale
Mr Tumusiime, together with one of his co-suspects, Mr Brian Ssajjabi, appeared before Nakawa Grade I Magistrate, Agnes Nambafu. Although detectives brought both suspects to court at the same time shortly before lunch time, Ms Nabafu recorded each of their statements separately. Kakama, a son of Mr Sven Karekaho of the Uganda Revenue Authority and Ms Naome Karekaho, the spokesperson of the National Environment Management Authority, went missing on June 8.

A week-and-half later, the police recovered its body from the slum of Kisenyi II Zone, Kamwokya in Central Division at a rubbish pit near a water channel. In the extrajudicial statements seen by Daily Monitor, Mr Tumusiime, a car washer, who was donning blue jean trousers and a white T-shirt, confessed to the magistrate that he kidnapped Kakama from Bugolobi Flats with the hope of extorting money from the parents but denied personally killing the baby. He confessed to tricking the housemaid, Molly Nabasa, by buying her a mobile phone and sending her to buy airtime, leaving the baby behind. “When she went to buy the air time, I ran away with the child. Later on, I handed it over to Ssajjabi at Kamwokya.”

Mr Tumusiime conceded that he demanded a Shs30 million ransom from the parents of Kakama which was sent to him through mobile money system in Kampala.

“I received Shs30 million some in Kampala and another fraction in Bushenyi District,” he said, adding that while he was in Bushenyi, it was Mr Ssajjabi who was looking after baby Kakama. “When the baby cried continuously, Ssajjabi covered his head with a polythene bag to prevent it from crying any more. He (Ssajjabi) carried it and dumped it in Kamwokya but never removed the polythene bag,” Tumusiime told the magistrate.

A post mortem report indicated that the baby was suffocated. But Mr Ssajjabi, who turned up wearing a blue pair of jean trousers and a red unbuttoned T-shirt, the same that he wore last week when he was taken to Kamwokya to reconstruct the scene of crime, denied being directly responsible for Kham’s death. He insisted that he was used by Mr Tumusiime.

An extrajudicial statement is an out-of-court utterance that is habitually not retractable in court. Often, the Criminal Investigations Department drags suspects to make an extra judicial statement when they have confessed to having carried out a crime. The trio is likely to appear in court this week on charges of murder and kidnap, police said.

Samahani Bysel,
Kwani huyu baby cam ni nani ktk jamii yetu? kuuliza sio ujinga..

Back
Top Bottom