Susan Rice Withdraws Name From Secretary Of State Consideration

Yegomasika

JF-Expert Member
Mar 21, 2009
U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice has withdrawn her name from consideration for secretary of state, Brian Williams of NBC News reports.
"If nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly -- to you and to our most pressing national and international priorities," Rice wrote in a letter to President Barack Obama, obtained by NBC News. "That trade-off is simply not worth it to our country ... Therefore, I respectfully request that you no longer consider my candidacy at this time."
With Rice out of the running, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) is widely believed to be the frontrunner to replace current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
The Huffington Post's Sam Stein and Joshua Hersh reported earlier this month that Democrats were nervous about the prospect of nominating Kerry:
The concerns have nothing to do with Kerry's ability to handle the Foggy Bottom post. Nearly everyone agrees that he has the intellectual acumen and experience for the job.Instead, Democrats said they worry that Republicans may be using the secretary of state fight as a roundabout way to regain a Senate seat the GOP lost this fall, when Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) was defeated by Elizabeth Warren. The anti-Rice gambit, some Democrats said, has the feel of a Republican long con.

Obama released the following statement on Rice's withdrawal:

Today, I spoke to Ambassador Susan Rice, and accepted her decision to remove her name from consideration for Secretary of State. For two decades, Susan has proven to be an extraordinarily capable, patriotic, and passionate public servant. As my Ambassador to the United Nations, she plays an indispensable role in advancing America's interests. Already, she has secured international support for sanctions against Iran and North Korea, worked to protect the people of Libya, helped achieve an independent South Sudan, stood up for Israel's security and legitimacy, and served as an advocate for UN reform and the human rights of all people. I am grateful that Susan will continue to serve as our Ambassador at the United Nations and a key member of my cabinet and national security team, carrying her work forward on all of these and other issues. I have every confidence that Susan has limitless capability to serve our country now and in the years to come, and know that I will continue to rely on her as an advisor and friend. While I deeply regret the unfair and misleading attacks on Susan Rice in recent weeks, her decision demonstrates the strength of her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics of the moment to put our national interests first. The American people can be proud to have a public servant of her caliber and character representing our country.​
Rice's potential nomination was marred by persistent Republican criticism of her response to the Sept. 11 anniversary attack on a U.S. compound Benghazi, Libya. She spoke on a number of morning shows in the wake of the attacks to defend the administration's handling of the incident, which led to the deaths of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens. During her appearances, she described the attack as the result of a spontaneous protest stemming from an anti-Islam video, an account that was later found to be incorrect.
GOP Sens. John McCain (Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) later emerged as her most vocal opponents, claiming that her mischaracterization of the attack was a sign that she was unfit to serve as secretary of state.

Bora. Wakati mwingine ana jazba sana huyo mwanamama. Ningekuwa mshauri wa Obama ningemwambie amteue Sen (Rt) George Mitchel. Na uwezo mkubwa kwenye mambo ya Diplomasia kuliko Sen John Kerry.

As I always do, I suspect there are things going on behind the scenes that it's impossible for us to appreciate. If her life was to be made miserable and she would in fact be a source of endless GOP bullshit, then her withdrawal, whether her actual idea or not, is a manipulable item. The GOP will try to push it one way, the Dems another, and we'll see what happens.

John MacCain is the winner on this, remember in 2008 election she trashed him when MacCain came with the slogan of Boom Boom Iran!.

I hate that bish

Chuck Hagel republican ndio anafaa.John Kerry too liberal,Rice alikuwa mjinga na kukubali kutangaza uongo Kama Collin Powell .Rice is more qualified than Hillary .Democratic hawana watu wakuwaweka wataishia kuteua republican subiri

John MacCain is the winner on this, remember in 2008 election she trashed him when MacCain came with the slogan of Boom Boom Iran!.

What goes around comes around .ukijihusisha na thugs (Chicago politicians)Lazima reputation yako iharibike.

Chuck Hagel republican ndio anafaa.John Kerry too liberal,Rice alikuwa mjinga na kukubali kutangaza uongo Kama Collin Powell .Rice is more qualified than Hillary .Democratic hawana watu wakuwaweka wataishia kuteua republican subiri
I can hear ya on this Natalia!.

Bora. Wakati mwingine ana jazba sana huyo mwanamama. Ningekuwa mshauri wa Obama ningemwambie amteue Sen (Rt) George Mitchel. Na uwezo mkubwa kwenye mambo ya Diplomasia kuliko Sen John Kerry.
Kumbuka John Kerry ndio alikuwa mstari Mbele kumsupport Obama .obama alikuwa key note speaker Kwenye Kerry /Edward campaigh .

First of all Susan hadn't been chosen..she withdrew her name from the list.. and Bullies always have of way of getting Blowback when they least expect it.

Susan Rice has more intelligence and class and grace than all of the jackasses in the Republican Party and in the Senate together.

Today, I spoke to Ambassador Susan Rice, and accepted her decision to remove her name from consideration for Secretary of State. For two decades, Susan has proven to be an extraordinarily capable, patriotic, and passionate public servant. As my Ambassador to the United Nations, she plays an indispensable role in advancing America's interests. Already, she has secured international support for sanctions against Iran and North Korea, worked to protect the people of Libya, helped achieve an independent South Sudan, stood up for Israel's security and legitimacy, and served as an advocate for UN reform and the human rights of all people. I am grateful that Susan will continue to serve as our Ambassador at the United Nations and a key member of my cabinet and national security team, carrying her work forward on all of these and other issues. I have every confidence that Susan has limitless capability to serve our country now and in the years to come, and know that I will continue to rely on her as an advisor and friend. While I deeply regret the unfair and misleading attacks on Susan Rice in recent weeks, her decision demonstrates the strength of her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics of the moment to put our national interests first. The American people can be proud to have a public servant of her caliber and character representing our country.

Scenario ya kwa na black president & black secretary of state ilikuwa inawasumbua sana those guys on the far right. Fitna tu, uzoefu anao tele.

Kumbuka John Kerry ndio alikuwa mstari Mbele kumsupport Obama .obama alikuwa key note speaker Kwenye Kerry /Edward campaigh .

Kwa urafikri & wallet, definately John Kerry anampita George Mitchel. And most likely ataipat hii post because hata 2008 alikuwa front runner until Hillary alipoamua kufanya deal na Obama.

First of all Susan hadn't been chosen..she withdrew her name from the list.. and Bullies always have of way of getting Blowback when they least expect it.

Susan Rice has more intelligence and class and grace than all of the jackasses in the Republican Party and in the Senate together.
Sir,wewe ni very liberal unatakiwa kuwa mayor wa sabuni ya mbuni

Hatumtaki Chuck Hagel kama secretary of State. The Democrats won the White House, remember?

Kwa urafikri & wallet, definately John Kerry anampita George Mitchel. And most likely ataipat hii post because hata 2008 alikuwa front runner until Hillary alipoamua kufanya deal na Obama.

John Kerry mke wake mtu mtu wa msumbiji (Heinz)she is very rich and drama queen I can't wait to see her on TV everyday .wake wa democratic leaders wanapenda kuwa mstari wa Mbele .

Obama is very liberal hapo John Kerry ndio choice yake

You have been trying to portray liberalism as some kind of ukoma. Lincoln was liberal. FDR was liberal. JFK was liberal,
They all were very good leaders. Obama will be the best.

John Kerry mke wake mtu mtu wa msumbiji (Heinz)she is very rich and drama queen I can't wait to see her on TV everyday .wake wa democratic leaders wanapenda kuwa mstari wa Mbele .

Why are you spewing all these lies? Mrs Kerry is a dignified lady. You cannot compare her to Mrs. McCain or Mrs. Romney. Or Sarah Palin for that matter. Even when Kerry was running for president she was very very low key. And you call that drama queen? Come on!

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom