Stephen Hawking on Religion: Science will Win!!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Stephen Hawking, known for his groundbreaking work in physics, told Diane Sawyer that when it comes to reconciling science and religion, there is only one outcome: "science will win because it works." He also elaborated on his views about God.

"What could define God [is thinking of God] as the embodiment of the laws of nature. However, this is not what most people would think of that God," Hawking told Sawyer. "They made a human-like being with whom one can have a personal relationship. When you look at the vast size of the universe and how insignificant an accidental human life is in it, that seems most impossible."

When Sawyer asked if there was a way to reconcile religion and science, Hawking said, "There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."

Read more from ABC here. Watch Sawyer interview Hawking below.

Stephen Hawking On Religion: 'Science Will Win' (VIDEO)

Kama T.I alivyosema, "I coulda told you that, I coulda told you that". In fact I was telling peepz the same thing earlier today.

Earth around a solar system... in a galaxy with up to 400 billion stars, and there are over 100 billion galaxies.. ( a billion is 1000 million). In other words in the Universe there are as many stars as there are grains of sand on the whole earth, and we are on ONE star.. Every month extrasolar planets are discovered.. So the conclusion is that we are not special and Hawkin's argument is very very logical.

Earth around a solar system... in a galaxy with up to 400 billion stars, and there are over 100 billion galaxies.. ( a billion is 1000 million). In other words in the Universe there are as many stars as there are grains of sand on the whole earth, and we are on ONE star.. Every month extrasolar planets are discovered.. So the conclusion is that we are not special and Hawkin's argument is very very logical.

He is not confused and angry.. He's argument is most logical.
Sasa hapo ndio science inashinda vipi 'religion'?. Kwanza hakuna kitu kinachoitwa 'religion'. We have RELIGIONS.

@ Abdulhalim:
'Religion' just like 'Science' is a general term, there are many branches to both terms. And I'm sure you know that.

Stephen Hawking is using logic to explain his opinion on the matter, and I'm sure anyone would agree that his logic is much more convincing then blind belief in a deity that can't be quantitatively measured.

Science beats religion any day, History can help prove that point, God and Allah didn't even exist three thousand years ago, heck they never even existed in Africa as far as a thousand years ago (more or less), all the noise religious Africans make is rather amusing at times because they seem to think they know more about God then the people who forced him\her on them all those years ago, If you think I am being harsh then look up the Kenyans who believed in the resurrection of some priests some months ago, really now the flawed logic of some walokoles is saddening and shameful, in the near future though I'm sure Africa and all those other religious countries will finally wake up and smell the roses, SCIENCE CONQUERS RELIGION, believe it or not people.

@ Abdulhalim:
'Religion' just like 'Science' is a general term, there are many branches to both terms. And I'm sure you know that.

Stephen Hawking is using logic to explain his opinion on the matter, and I'm sure anyone would agree that his logic is much more convincing then blind belief in a deity that can't be quantitatively measured.

Science beats religion any day, History can help prove that point, God and Allah didn't even exist three thousand years ago, heck they never even existed in Africa as far as a thousand years ago (more or less), all the noise religious Africans make is rather amusing at times because they seem to think they know more about God then the people who forced him\her on them all those years ago, If you think I am being harsh then look up the Kenyans who believed in the resurrection of some priests some months ago, really now the flawed logic of some walokoles is saddening and shameful, in the near future though I'm sure Africa and all those other religious countries will finally wake up and smell the roses, SCIENCE CONQUERS RELIGION, believe it or not people.

Naomba nijibiwe..Science inaishinda religion ktk nini? Twende kwenye details sio maelezo ya 'jumla ya kibiashara'.

Nimezungumzia kwamba kuna religions na sio religion kwa maana kwamba zipo nyingi na zina mitazamo tofauti sana na si sahihi kuzungumzia kana kwamba ni kitu kimoja.

Naomba nijibiwe..Science inaishinda religion ktk nini? Twende kwenye details sio maelezo ya 'jumla ya kibiashara'.

Nimezungumzia kwamba kuna religions na sio religion kwa maana kwamba zipo nyingi na zina mitazamo tofauti sana na si sahihi kuzungumzia kana kwamba ni kitu kimoja.

Science inaishinda religion katika kufanya uchunguzi, religion haina uchunguzi na in fact ukifanya uchunguzi katika conventional religion utaambiwa unafanya blasphemy. Religion, for the most part represent a closed conservative system with some fantastic and dogmatic ideas that are suppose to be taken by fiat.No proofs, no skepticism and no room for questioning authority.

Dini haitaki maswali, lakini inajidai kuwa na majibu karibu yote.

Science on the other hand, encourages the pursuit of knowledge, skepticim, questioning of authority.

Sayansi siyo tu inakubali maswali, inasisitiza uchunguzi na kuuliza maswali na ina maarifa ya kukubali kwamba haina majibu yote.

Science inaishinda religion katika kufanya uchunguzi, religion haina uchunguzi na in fact ukifanya uchunguzi katika conventional religion utaambiwa unafanya blasphemy. Religion, for the most part represent a closed conservative system with some fantastic and dogmatic ideas that are suppose to be taken by fiat.No proofs, no skepticism and no room for questioning authority.

Dini haitaki maswali, lakini inajidai kuwa na majibu karibu yote.

Science on the other hand, encourages the pursuit of knowledge, skepticim, questioning of authority, skepticism.

Sayansi siyo tu inakubali maswali, inasisitiza uchunguzi na kuuliza maswali na ina maarifa ya kukubali kwamba haina majibu yote.

Hivi ni wapi imesemwa kwamba kazi ya dini ni kufanya uchunguzi?

Hivi ni wapi imesemwa kwamba kazi ya dini ni kufanya uchunguzi?

Hujaelewa,

Sikusema kuna sehemu wamesema kazi ya dini ni kufanya uchunguzi.

Nimesema dini haifanyi uchunguzi. Big difference.

They say the unexamined life is not worth living. I say unexamining doctrines are not worth a subscription.

Institution isiyoruhusu uchunguzi ni institution inayokufa.

There are different natures. The nature of a tree is different from that of a cockroach. And a cockroach is, by its very nature, different from me. By means of its Science, a tree or a cockroach might fail to comprehend me, but that does not alter any truths about me.

There is no reason to believe that nothing exists beyond the limits of our own nature. Ours need not be the highest nature.

Hawking knows that eternity exists. He knows that there was no time before the beginning (before his big bang, if you like). Before time was, there was eternity. And at the end, time will give way to eternity again.

Is there any existence apart from matter? Absolutely! Hawking's ideas exist, and they are certainly immaterial.

When we wonder about whether God exists we become like fish wondering whether water exists. For we live and move and take our being in Him.

Hujaelewa,

Sikusema kuna sehemu wamesema kazi ya dini ni kufanya uchunguzi.

Actually hakuna jambo la kuelewa hapo. Unapofanya comparison lazima utumie kipimo kilekile. Ndio linapokuja suala la msingi science inaizidi dini ktk lipi? Uchunguzi? Hilo nadhani umeshajijibu!

Nimesema dini haifanyi uchunguzi. Big difference.

They say the unexamined life is not worth living. I say unexamining doctrines are not worth a subscription.

Institution isiyoruhusu uchunguzi ni institution inayokufa.

Hawking ameelezea tofauti ya dini na science ni authority vs experiments and observations, na akamalizia philosophically kusema kwamba science wins..wins kwenye mambo ambayo ipo good at. Ktk way forward science inaendelea 'kuchunguza' na kukua lakini 'revelations' za kidini zinabaki zilezile,kwenye fundamentals na basics zake za awali kwa kiwango kikubwa, at least kwenye dini kuu zenye wafuasi wengi.

There are different natures. The nature of a tree is different from that of a cockroach. And a cockroach is, by its very nature different from me. By means of its Science, a tree or a cockroach might fail to comprehend me, but that does not alter any truths about me.

There is no reason to believe that nothing exists beyond the limits of our own nature. Ours need not be the highest nature.

Hawkins knows that eternity exists. He knows that there was no time before the beginning (before his big bang, if you like). Before time was, there was eternity. And at the end, time will give way to eternity again.

Is there any existence apart from matter? Absolutely! Hawkins ideas exist, and they are certainly immaterial.

When we wonder about whether God exists we become like fish wondering whether water exists. For we live and move and take our being in Him.

St. Augustine,

It is incorrect to associate the concept of eternity with the realm outside of time (before the big bang where time began, if you like). We can debate my perspective, but I have every reason to think that eternity is merely time stretched to infinity, time with no end, and not the realm outside of time. You need time to have an eternity, jut like you need the idea of numbers to comprehend the idea of infinity.Take away time and you can't have eternity, take away the idea of numbers and you cannot have an infinity.How can you have a fabric less actual eternity? How can you have a fabric less actual infinity? How can you have an unending stretch of cloth without having even a small piece of clothing?

As to your question about existence without matter, of course there is, antimatter exist- this is a mere poverty of imagination- to me a more interesting question would be is there any existence without the fabric of spacetime? How can you be sure?

And just as you posit that there is no reason to believe nothing exists beyond the limits of our own nature, a prson can counter that very easily by saying that there is no reason to believe that anything exists beyond the limits of our own nature. This question can hardly be settled judiciously by human beings from the simple reason that we are operating within the realm of our own nature.

Kwa hiyo mtu yeyote anayekwaambia kwamba ana uhakika kabisa kwamba mungu yupo, au anayekuambia kwamba ana uhakika kabisa kwamba mungu hayupo, anakudanganya na kujidanganya mwenyewe tu, kwa sababu haya ni mambo yaliyo nje ya upeo wa binadamu, at least kama unaongelea conventional Judeo-Christian deity.

Lakini in this world, nothing is sure, at least kwa watu wanaotaka kutafuta ukweli (soma quote ya Einstein kwenye signature yangu), kwa hiyo inabidi tuangalie plausibility.

Na idea nzima ya mungu haiko plausible, at least ukitaka kumuangalia kwa akili za kibinadamu.

Na ukiniambia mungu haeleweki kwa akili za kibinadamu unanipa sababu zaidi za ku doubt uwepo wake, kwa nini mungu anipe akili zisizoweza kumuelewa halafu ategemee nimuelewe?

Kwa nini mungu awe illogical hivi na kuua vitoto viso hatia huko Haiti?

Kwa nini aruhusu dunia yenye uovu? Yeye kama mweza yote na mwanzishaji yote hana responsibility kwa uovu huu?

Actually hakuna jambo la kuelewa hapo. Unapofanya comparison lazima utumie kipimo kilekile. Ndio linapokuja suala la msingi science inaizidi dini ktk lipi? Uchunguzi? Hilo nadhani umeshajijibu!

Hawking ameelezea tofauti ya dini na science ni authority vs experiments and observations, na akamalizia philosophically kusema kwamba science wins..wins kwenye mambo ambayo ipo good at. Ktk way forward science inaendelea 'kuchunguza' na kukua lakini 'revelations' za kidini zinabaki zilezile,kwenye fundamentals na basics zake za awali kwa kiwango kikubwa, at least kwenye dini kuu zenye wafuasi wengi.

Umeuliza Science inaishinda dini nini, ukajibiwa kirefu, in a nutshell umeambiwa uchunguzi. Kama huna uchunguzi unafanya mambo kwa tradition tu institution yako inakufa.

Hapa ndipo Science inapoipida bao religion.

Uliza jingine.

Back
Top Bottom