South Africa: Jacob Zuma 'plans second home in Dubai'

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
South Africa's embattled president Jacob Zuma has been planning to set up home in Dubai, according to emails published in South African media.
The reports suggest deepening ties between President Zuma and the controversial Gupta business family.
But the president's spokesman has dismissed them as an utter fabrication.
Pressure on Mr Zuma has been mounting in recent months because of corruption scandals, cabinet sackings and his handling of the economy.
Senior members of Mr Zuma's governing ANC tabled a motion of no confidence against him on Sunday at a closed-door meeting of the party's National Executive Committee.
But the chairman of the meeting blocked the move because it was not on the official agenda, state-owned broadcaster SABC said.
It is the second time in six months that party rebels have mounted such a challenge and they are thought likely to try again.
Under pressure
The BBC's Karen Allen in Johannesburg says the ANC now looks like it's in permanent fire fighting mode

Emails between President Zuma's son Duduzane and figures from a company owned by the controversial Gupta family - who reportedly wield considerable influence over Mr Zuma - include a letter to the Abu Dabi royal family, our correspondent says.
"I am happy to inform you that my family has decided to make the UAE a second home," the president is quoted as saying. "It will be a great honour for me and my family to gain your patronage during our proposed residency in the UAE."
This opens up questions as to whether this is part of an exit strategy, with Mr Zuma's party appearing to be turning against him, our correspondent adds.
Meanwhile Zuma loyalists will continue their efforts to block any no confidence motion on technical grounds.
A motion submitted by opposition parties is being pushed through parliament and is now being examined by the constitutional court.
■ Jacob Zuma the survivor
■ South Africa's tough road out of junk status
The president's successor is expected to be selected at a major conference of the ANC's top brass in December.
Until then the party looks set to limp from crisis to crisis, our correspondent says.
Mr Zuma's allies say he will remain in office until his term ends in 2019, but evidence of his unpopularity seems to be growing. He was forced to abandon a May Day rally this year after he was booed by workers demanding his resignation.
His ex-wife Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and Deputy President Cyril Rampahosa are vying to succeed him.

For some reason and reasons which I do not understand, African leaders still engage in primitive accumulation, to feather their nest, many Africans particularly those in public service, will never rest, until they have homes in different capitals of the world, which they will never live in, they have cars which they will never drive, they have beds of gold which they have never slept on because they have no sleep anyway. The children of darkness, who are the perpetrators of corruption have won advantage over the children of light, they are well organized, they are prepared to kill, they are prepared to do anything on earth, to ensure that their ill-gotten wealth, is retained and protected.

You simply need ignorance and confidence to be a leader in Africa. It hurts to read that his allies (who are South African's) expects him to finish his term in 2019 and his ex-wife to succeed him.We have a long way to go.

• Thanks
Reactions: BAK
For some reason and reasons which I do not understand, African leaders still engage in primitive accumulation, to feather their nest, many Africans particularly those in public service, will never rest, until they have homes in different capitals of the world, which they will never live in, they have cars which they will never drive, they have beds of gold which they have never slept on because they have no sleep anyway. The children of darkness, who are the perpetrators of corruption have won advantage over the children of light, they are well organized, they are prepared to kill, they are prepared to do anything on earth, to ensure that their ill-gotten wealth, is retained and protected.
Shame on them.

• Thanks
Yes that is the main problem in our beautiful continent. A very good example is what's going on currently in our beautiful country. His allies will try their level best to convince us mheshimiwa is doing excellent job while the opposite is the truth.

You simply need ignorance and confidence to be a leader in Africa. It hurts to read that his allies (who are South African's) expects him to finish his term in 2019 and his ex-wife to succeed him.We have a long way to go.

Yes that is the main problem in our beautiful continent. A very good example is what's going on currently in our beautiful country. His allies will try their level best to convince us mheshimiwa is doing excellent job while the opposite is the truth.
The mining issue needs a lot of reading and critical thinking and though literacy rates have increased most people are not reading and those who are reading are not reading deeply. So we are singing praises all the way and hoping for the best. Binafsi am confused and waiting to see the way forward. I think our president's intentions are good though they might not be enough without legal strategies and proper alignment of our legal resources and our business and economic agendas.

• Thanks
Agreed with you Michelle, and on the red color that is the main point of Tundu Lissu and Chadema, also IMO all those who were involved in this scandal should be questioned and if found guilty they should face the music accordingly.

The mining issue needs a lot of reading and critical thinking and though literacy rates have increased most people are not reading and those who are reading are not reading deeply. So we are singing praises all the way and hoping for the best. Binafsi am confused and waiting to see the way forward. I think our president's intentions are good though they might not be enough without legal strategies and proper alignment of our legal resources and our business and economic agendas.

Agreed with you Michelle, and on the red color that is the main point of Tundu Lissu and Chadema, also IMO all those who were involved in this scandal should be questioned and if found guilty they should face the music accordingly.

I agree they should be questioned but i don't think that will happen anytime soon. You will need Tundu Lissu to do that and not the highest beneficiaries of the existing system. Anyway,praying for our leaders courage and wisdom

• Thanks
True Michelle that won't happen anytime soon. The reason behind the current mheshimiwa in the big office should also be included in that list for various questionable activities some were included in CAG reports. Hilo hawezi kuliruhusu hata siku moja.

I agree they should be questioned but i don't think that will happen anytime soon. You will need Tundu Lissu to do that and not the highest beneficiaries of the existing system. Anyway,praying for our leaders courage and wisdom

South Africans (ANC) are reaping what they sowed. Could not find the reason why they kicked Mbeki out of the office. Our African populace is full of ignorance and illiteracy to the point that it can easily be corrupted by mere popularity of a person who is empty headed over a serious and committed individual like Mbeki.

What has this got to do with Tanzania?

Pathetic.

Who has to be questioned more than TMAA?

What they were doing "if anything is wrong" ?

Cut the BS and come to terms with reality.

South Africans (ANC) are breeding what they sowed. Could not find the reason why they kicked Mbeki out of the office. Our African populace is full of ignorance and illiteracy to the point that it can easily be corrupted by mere popularity of a person who is empty headed over a serious and committed individual like Mbeki.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men,..." - Lord Acton

• Thanks
Reactions: Auz
Back
Top Bottom