Solid Waste Disposal

Mhache

JF-Expert Member
Jun 20, 2008
Disposal in Manzese area is one of the issues which disturb my brain. Every area is full of waste. People are not following the proper way of disposing waste. My concern is how can this problem be handled? I request for suggestions.

Disposal in Manzese area is one of the issues which disturb my brain. Every area is full of waste. People are not following the proper way of disposing waste. My concern is how can this problem be handled? I request for suggestions.

Its is a structural,systemic and attitudinal problem.There is no waste disposal system in terms of proper drainage,waste collection and disposal.Morever people have no culture of hating dirt/waste.They happily live with it..it doesnt bother them much.If you happen to have a dirty neighbour and you try to influence them to be clean the most you should expect is insults and more frustrations.The solution to this is to move and relocate to places where you can have your own space to practice cleanliness! Hahahaa..I dont know, others may have better ideas.

a hungry person,who does not know where the next meal is gonna come from,will hardly have time for trivialities like waste disposal albeit cleanness.this is the fundamental truth

sasa wafanye nini wakati maisha ndo yanaruhusu waishi vile, wanaweza wakakaa hata chooni alimradi tu wanaishi. wenye uwezo wamefisadi kama wapendavyo, ajira hamna, elimu kiduchu, matatizo mtupu. sasa watu wanaishi alimradi wanaishi, alimradi kunakucha. kuwe kuchafu, twende, wanye mavi nje, twende lolote lie.

Nliwahi kulieleza hili hapa katika thread hii https://www.jamiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=13672 maana hata mimi niliona si Manzese tu bali almost miji yote nchini, in exception ya miji michache sana kama Arusha, ambayo kwa kweli ni michafu sana na hakuna anayejali. Hata Serikali kupitia kale kawizara ka serikali za mitaa haijali kabisaaaaaaaa. Fikiri mwenyewe kipindupindu kitakwisha kweli?

Usafi jamani ni jadi...ni aina ya maisha na inachangiwa na mazingira mtu anayoishi na fikra za waliopo karibu naye. Manzese na miji mingine iliyo michafu inatokana na watu wa pale kuona uchafu sio tatizo..ndio maana mtu anaweza kununua kitu akatupa mfuko wake barabarani asione tatizo...au akasubiri usiku akatupa taka mtaroni bila dhamiri kumuuma...kwani wakazi wa mitaa yenye usafi kama masaki na osterbay wao hawana taka? au ni fikra zao zimekua 'safi' na mazingira yakawa 'safi' pia? Tafakuri: Ukihamisha watu wa mitaa ya uzunguni (penye usafi) na kuwapeleka manzese na wa manzese kuwapeleka uzunguni itasaidia? Au napo patakua pachafu pia?

Usafi jamani ni jadi...ni aina ya maisha na inachangiwa na mazingira mtu anayoishi na fikra za waliopo karibu naye. Manzese na miji mingine iliyo michafu inatokana na watu wa pale kuona uchafu sio tatizo..ndio maana mtu anaweza kununua kitu akatupa mfuko wake barabarani asione tatizo...au akasubiri usiku akatupa taka mtaroni bila dhamiri kumuuma...kwani wakazi wa mitaa yenye usafi kama masaki na osterbay wao hawana taka? au ni fikra zao zimekua 'safi' na mazingira yakawa 'safi' pia? Tafakuri: Ukihamisha watu wa mitaa ya uzunguni (penye usafi) na kuwapeleka manzese na wa manzese kuwapeleka uzunguni itasaidia? Au napo patakua pachafu pia?

Tabia haina dawa ndugu yangu!
Pamoja na umaskini kuchangia watu kukata tamaa na kushindwa kuwaza na kuweka vipaumbele vyao right, hili la usafi na uchafu ni asili ya mtu.Ningekupa mifano ya jamii zenye hulka ya usafi na zile zenye hulka ya uchafu ila nitazua tafrani hapa na malumbano yasiyo na msingi.
Lets leave it at that!!!!!!

Guidelines for waste disposal at Manzese:
  • Strengthen, environmental and health education, involve people in planning for sustainable solid waste management
  • Environmental health issue particularly waste collection and disposal should be put on the agenda by local governments.
  • Authorities should draw master plans as propriate including plans for waste management
  • In minor settlements (Manzese) carts or tractors with self- tipping trailers should be used to transport waste

The common methods of solid waste disposal used in Tanzania are:
  • controlled dumping
  • crude dumping
  • Recovery
  • Burying
  • Burning

Its is a structural,systemic and attitudinal problem.There is no waste disposal system in terms of proper drainage,waste collection and disposal.Morever people have no culture of hating dirt/waste.They happily live with it..it doesnt bother them much.If you happen to have a dirty neighbour and you try to influence them to be clean the most you should expect is insults and more frustrations.The solution to this is to move and relocate to places where you can have your own space to practice cleanliness! Hahahaa..I dont know, others may have better ideas.

I agree womanofsubstanc,

Manzese area so as other areas of the country do not have proper system for handling wastes.Drainage system in Manzese forexample, was not put in place in consideration to the population of the place.The government in place (local gvt)is the one to blame because it is their task to ensure that the area is clean and everyone is responsible in his/her area.

However, i consider attitude to hold more water.Its the attitude of most Tanzanians to throw wastes anywhere.Things are different in places like Moshi where handling of refuse is taken seriously.I have there and i like the place.The place is so clean but it used to be not that clean few years ago.

We need to change our life style and start taking important things seriously.

• Strengthen, environmental and health education, involve people in planning for sustainable solid waste management
    [*]Environmental health issue particularly waste collection and disposal should be put on the agenda by local governments.
    [*]Authorities should draw master plans as propriate including plans for waste management
    [*]In minor settlements (Manzese) carts or tractors with self- tipping trailers should be used to transport waste
  • controlled dumping
  • crude dumping
  • Recovery
  • Burying
  • Burning

Kibunango i like your contribution alot.

I had the same idea in mind.We need to do away with outdated ways of waste management and our local gvts need to be serious and make waste mngt one of their agenda...

• Environmental health issue particularly waste collection and disposal should be put on the agenda by local governments.
  • Authorities should draw master plans as propriate including plans for waste management
  • In minor settlements (Manzese) carts or tractors with self- tipping trailers should be used to transport waste

• controlled dumping
  • crude dumping
  • Recovery
  • Burying
  • Burning

Thanks for your contribution. I like the way you organize it.

Solutions zipo nyingi tena nyingine hapa hapa nchini, nyingine ziko nje ya nchi nyingine zinaitaji cut, modify naku-paste tuu... Thats not the hard part, tatizo nikupata watu wenye nia zakutatua haya matatizo, kusimamia utekelezaji wake na baada yakutekelezwa ku monitor na maintain system ambayo imetekelezwa ili kuhakikisha haturudi tulipo toka...

KIBUNANGO,experience has shown us, in most instances,text book solutions dont work in tanzania.tackling the problem situationally is our only hope.now how we coordinate the various players in this scenario albeit the authorities and the dwellers of manzese is the headache-- how does the government convince the dwellers ,the virtues of cleanness,while in their minds its allready entombed that cleanness of the environment is a govt job

Back
Top Bottom