Software Giants : Miguel de Icaza

Mtangoo

JF-Expert Member
Oct 25, 2012
Some might say what? Not K&R? Not Linus?

Yeah, today is Miguel. All those you know are great, but let see this man who created so much we use today.

WHO IS HE?
Miguel de Icaza (born c. 1972) is a Mexican free software programmer, best known for starting the GNOME and Mono projects.

Miguel de Icaza was born in Mexico City and studied at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México (UNAM) but never received a degree. He came from a family of scientists in which his father is a physicist and his mother a biologist. He started writing free software in 1992.

WHAT DID HE WRITE/CONTRIBUTE?
- he wrote for Linux was the Midnight Commander file manager, a text-mode file manager.
- one of the early contributors to the Wine project.
- He worked with David Miller on the Linux SPARC port and wrote several of the video and network drivers in the port, as well as the libc ports to the platform
- started the GNOME project with Federico Mena in August 1997
- With others at Ximian created the Mono Project with the goal to implement Microsoft's new .NET development platform on Linux and Unix-like platforms

Awards and recognition
- Free Software Foundation 1999 Award for the Advancement of Free Software
- the MIT Technology Review Innovator of the Year Award 1999
- named one of Time magazine's 100 innovators for the new century in September 2000.
- In early 2010 he received a Microsoft MVP Award.
- In March 2010, he was named as the fifth in the "Most Powerful Voices in Open Source".

ACHILLE'S HEEL
...studied at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México (UNAM) but never received a degree...In summer of 1997, he was interviewed by Microsoft for a job in the Internet Explorer Unix team (to work on a SPARC port), but lacked the university degree required to obtain a work H-1B visa

His Blog: Miguel de Icaza
Source: Miguel de Icaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BH,

linus Tovard ndo god of all modern programmers, hakuna wa kusogea pale

linus Tovard ndo god of all modern programmers, hakuna wa kusogea pale

Good Guy Linus Made Linux, Miguel made Gnome. Imagine Linux without a desktop environment? Scary to non geeks. So Yes foundation and wall are both important to call it a house!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Guy Linus Made Linux, Miguel made Gnome. Imagine Linux without a desktop environment? Scary to non geeks. So Yes foundation and wall are both important to call it a house!

wat makes this guy a god is that, linux was writen and made by more that a Thousand people, well Linus himself wrote 2% of it. Provided 1000+ geeks wrote it and he did 2% of it himself is phenomenal. K Desktop environment ndo mpando mzima. I salute the spaniard, i do. But linus case nyingine hio he even has a freaking asteroid named after him 2 honor him. "asteroid 9793 Torvalds" feel free 2 google everythng i said for authenticity.

Last edited by a moderator:
wat makes this guy a god is that, linux was writen and made by more that a Thousand people, well Linus himself wrote 2% of it. Provided 1000+ geeks wrote it and he did 2% of it himself is phenomenal. K Desktop environment ndo mpando mzima. I salute the spaniard, i do. But linus case nyingine hio he even has a freaking asteroid named after him 2 honor him. "asteroid 9793 Torvalds" feel free 2 google everythng i said for authenticity.

I know many are fans of Linus, he did and still doing a good job. I will copy and paste here a funny thread about him, stay tuned.
Back to the KDE, I know it is polished. But gnome is for people like me who enjoy simplicity. So it depends which side of the coin you are. KDE have many apps which do not have sufficient replacer in Gnome and vice versa. I once used KDE under Mandrix OS and it is fantastic but it cannot beat the love I have for gnome....Again I'm now fan of Unity which is a "daughter" of gnome that was birthed out of disagreement of Cannonical with Gnome team with advent of Gnome shell. I think Gnome shell is complicated and is KDE-ish, but thats me ;)

In all standards Icaza have done a good job that have put Linux out of "For Geeks only" while remaining for geeks too!
Can you write something about Linus?

I know many are fans of Linus, he did and still doing a good job. I will copy and paste here a funny thread about him, stay tuned.
Back to the KDE, I know it is polished. But gnome is for people like me who enjoy simplicity. So it depends which side of the coin you are. KDE have many apps which do not have sufficient replacer in Gnome and vice versa. I once used KDE under Mandrix OS and it is fantastic but it cannot beat the love I have for gnome....Again I'm now fan of Unity which is a "daughter" of gnome that was birthed out of disagreement of Cannonical with Gnome team with advent of Gnome shell. I think Gnome shell is complicated and is KDE-ish, but thats me ;)

In all standards Icaza have done a good job that have put Linux out of "For Geeks only" while remaining for geeks too!
Can you write something about Linus?

I officialy declare a Man crash with this dude!! Kiongozi you're my new JF fav guy. I'd love 2 see that post, what can i say abt him? Well nlikutana na page flan anadiss C language(jamaa hamna language haipendi hii dunia kama C, thats wat i found out, java included). Nlichopenda ni how he dissd t, ka2mia comp language 2 diss em, like a boss yaani;)

I officialy declare a Man crash with this dude!!
With Linus, De Icaza or me? ;)

Kiongozi you're my new JF fav guy.
Its my pleasure to hear kind words!

I'd love 2 see that post, what can i say abt him?
Linus programs are perfect? I would like to hire him to my company. Who wants bugs? lol!
https://www.jamiiforums.com/tech-ga...-myths-and-linus-is-just-a-man-new-post.html

Well nlikutana na page flan anadiss C language(jamaa hamna language haipendi hii dunia kama C, thats wat i found out, java included). Nlichopenda ni how he dissd t, ka2mia comp language 2 diss em, like a boss yaani;)
C is elegant if used well (like gtk programs) but can be horrible (like win32 API). It depends on design and coding habits. All I miss if I code in C is OOP which in GTK+ is done with GObject. So its not that bad. Many who hate C are victim of incompetent university/college teachers (since they met C first there!)

With Linus, De Icaza or me? ;)

Its my pleasure to hear kind words!

Linus programs are perfect? I would like to hire him to my company. Who wants bugs? lol!
https://www.jamiiforums.com/tech-ga...-myths-and-linus-is-just-a-man-new-post.html

C is elegant if used well (like gtk programs) but can be horrible (like win32 API). It depends on design and coding habits. All I miss if I code in C is OOP which in GTK+ is done with GObject. So its not that bad. Many who hate C are victim of incompetent university/college teachers (since they met C first there!)

pa1 kiongoz, by the way d crush was on you(man crush i.e don't take t the other way ;)

Back
Top Bottom