"Sista P" wins presidential election in Jamaica

EMT

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2010
On Jamaica's rutted streets, the complaints have been chronic - home ownership is out of reach for most wage earners, the cost of electricity has skyrocketed, water service regularly fizzles out and decent jobs are scarce.

Fed up with chronic hard times, voters in this debt-wracked Caribbean nation on Thursday threw out the ruling party and delivered a landslide triumph to the opposition People's National Party, or PNP, whose campaign energetically tapped voter disillusionment especially among the numerous struggling poor.

The win marks a remarkable political comeback for former Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller, who was Jamaica's first female leader during her year-and-a-half-long first stint in office that ended in 2007. The 66-year-old known affectionately as "Sista P" reached out to Jamaicans as a champion of the poor with a popular touch.

"She cares about the ghetto people," said Trishette Bond, a twenty-something resident of gritty Trench Town who wore an orange shirt and a bright orange wig, the colour of Simpson Miller's slightly center-left party, which led the island for 18 years before narrowly losing 2007 elections.

1802abd73a0fb41d020f6a706700d209.jpg

More: Jamaica's opposition wins elections in a landslide - Yahoo! News

JLP an PNP meik we all unite. Ghetto Red Hot.

I think the previous government lost the election due to the scandal over the handling of the U.S. request for the extradition of a notorious Jamaican gang leader and long-time fugitive Christopher "Dudus" Coke. The scandal ended with his extradition to New York but only after a brutal police and military raid on a Kingston slum that left 76 people dead. So, the ghetto boys decided to spoke by throwing out the government.

Proud of her and wishing her success,i hope Jamaica becomes a better country in every sphere... go sista P!! :poa:poa:poa

Proud of her and wishing her success,i hope Jamaica becomes a better country in every sphere... go sista P!! :poa:poa:poa

She was in power just three years ago and lost. Do you think "amejirekebisha"?

She was in power just three years ago and lost. Do you think "amejirekebisha"?

I hope so, there are reasons she lost three years ago, she managed to come out strong and better, i hope she learnt her lessons and she is ready to move Jamaica forward.

Wooow Good on her. that is what we need something different , something New..
I hope will happen in Tanzania..

2 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom