Should Poor Countries especilly Tanzania, Build New Capital Cities?

britanicca

JF-Expert Member
May 20, 2015
The following relatively poor countries and often recipients of international and/or U.N. aid have built new capital cities:

1. Pakistan - Islamabad (replaced Rawalpindi)
2. Myanmar - Naypyidaw (replaced Yangon)
3. Tanzania - Dodoma (in process to replace Dar es Salaam)
4. Nigeria - Abuja (replaced Lagos)
5.Malawi-Lilong (Blantyre)
6.South Africa-Pretoria (J'Burg)
7.Brazil -Rio (Brasilia)
8.Ivory Coast -Yamossoukro (Abidjan)
9.Burma -Naypyidaw(Rangoon

It seems that these countries are desperately poor lands that do not have a new capital among the top of their needs lists. If I had to guess, these cities were built first so that the ruling classes would not have to put up with a teeming, crowded city such as Naypyidaw . Also, the cities, I believe, are major ego trips for the ruling classes.

To be fair, I am "equal opportunity" when it comes to building new capital cities. Let us base on USA,I think building Washington, D.C. was improvident. New York City as capital was just fine. However, the U.S. was receiving help from no one in those days, and federal resources were not expected to be used for social needs. Now it's a different story.

I think aid donors such as the U.N. and the U.S. should be very skeptical.

Worse enough apparently In Tanzania,it didn't totally come to fruition as the government ministers are not too comfortable with moving from Dar es Salaam. If that's the case, it's a waste of money and obviously not good. Tanzania doesn't really have the money to spare on building a new capital, so in this type of instance I'd say no Need of building new cities whiler around60,000 people die of hunger and hunger-related diseases every year, more than double the lives taken by AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis in 2010-2017. Every 10 seconds, a child dies from hunger.

No need of building Dodoma

We should build to distribute our resources evenly. It has been so difficult for people to travel from Kigoma, Mpanda, Kagera, Musoma to Dar es salaam. With Dodoma people will have easy access to all ministry as will become near for all Tanzanians. It is also my hope that development will be fast than now everything is in Dar.

We should build to distribute our resources evenly. It has been so difficult for people to travel from Kigoma, Mpanda, Kagera, Musoma to Dar es salaam. With Dodoma people will have easy access to all ministry as will become near for all Tanzanians. It is also my hope that development will be fast than now everything is in Dar.
In this global world, is there any need of attending physically DSM to fulfill what you need?

As today they establish Dodoma as the capital to help those they call the commnoners, tomorrow no wonder there can be construction of a massive paradise so as to reduce the number of those going to the saturn.

resources misuse, always the poorest are the best spender.

Lets talk what we know, Tanzania for example, Why we shift to Dodoma?.
The only big reason its because Nyerere wanted so,Nyerere dreams must be fulfilled.
Safety matters was the only Nyerere reason if you go back the history, would be very difficult for our rivals and enemies to step in Dodoma rather than DSM. With this modern world can that reason work? if its necessary is there the need to rush with too much power and expenses?

resources misuse, always the poorest are the best spender.

Lets talk what we know, Tanzania for example, Why we shift to Dodoma?.
The only big reason its because Nyerere wanted so,Nyerere dreams must be fulfilled.
Safety matters was the only Nyerere reason if you go back the history, would be very difficult for our rivals and enemies to step in Dodoma rather than DSM. With this modern world can that reason work? if its necessary is there the need to rush with too much power and expenses?
No need of rush to Dodoma

I love Dodoma because it is where i was born, having this opportunity is irresistable despite its negative effect on Tanzanian as a whole. Nataka nipate wateja wa viwanja vyangu na pia nipate wapangaji wa nyumba zangu
Put It in English, you want to get customers of your plots, and those to arrange your houses hahaha , am jocking

The following relatively poor countries and often recipients of international and/or U.N. aid have built new capital cities:

1. Pakistan - Islamabad (replaced Rawalpindi)
2. Myanmar - Naypyidaw (replaced Yangon)
3. Tanzania - Dodoma (in process to replace Dar es Salaam)
4. Nigeria - Abuja (replaced Lagos)

It seems that these countries are desperately poor lands that do not have a new capital among the top of their needs lists. If I had to guess, these cities were built first so that the ruling classes would not have to put up with a teeming, crowded city such as Rio. Also, the cities, I believe, are major ego trips for the ruling classes.

To be fair, I am "equal opportunity" when it comes to building new capital cities. Let us base on USA,I think building Washington, D.C. was improvident. New York City as capital was just fine. However, the U.S. was receiving help from no one in those days, and federal resources were not expected to be used for social needs. Now it's a different story.

I think aid donors such as the U.N. and the U.S. should be very skeptical.

Worse enough apparently In Tanzania,it didn't totally come to fruition as the government ministers are not too comfortable with moving from Dar es Salaam. If that's the case, it's a waste of money and obviously not good. Tanzania doesn't really have the money to spare on building a new capital, so in this type of instance I'd say no Need of building new cities whiler around60,000 people die of hunger and hunger-related diseases every year, more than double the lives taken by AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis in 2010-2017. Every 10 seconds, a child dies from hunger.

No need of building Dodoma
Ongeza Malawi-Lilongwe (Lilongwe)
South Africa-Pretoria (J'Burg)
Brazil -Rio (Brasilia)
Ivory Coast -Yamossoukro (Abidjan)
Burma -Naypyidaw(Rangoon).

P

If distance is the main factor, then Singida is more central than Dodoma!

My dear friend britanicca, Capital Cities are not choices of the ruled but the rulers. CC may be shifted from one place to another in a total discretion of a person in power regardless its costs and circumstances prevailing at the material time. Kindly read between lines!
Am with you,but are there necessities to shift from Dar es salaam to Dodoma?

I love the idea of moving to dodoma.. As the thread starter say..

Moving the capital... Should be done after all necessary matter being attended

I think more emphasis should be on

*improving schools
*improving health centers
*bulild more modern roads not only in Dar es salaam ,other region to
*The should improve the electricity system so we can hav a stable electricity supply

Back
Top Bottom