Shame on us

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
_44687985_shame_226.jpg

SA's Mbeki says riots a disgrace
BBC News on Online

Xenophobic violence has spread across South Africa
South African President Thabo Mbeki has condemned a wave of attacks on foreigners as an "absolute disgrace" that has blemished the country's name.

In a national radio and television address, he said the attacks were the worst acts of inhumanity South Africa had seen since the end of Apartheid.

At least 50 people died and 25,000 fled their homes during the violence.

Jacob Zuma, leader of the governing party, urged an end to attacks, on a visit to a Johannesburg township.

The African National Council (ANC) leader told a crowd of thousands in Springs township that violence would not solve problems of crime, poverty and unemployment, but make them worse.

President Mbeki has been criticised for his handling of the crisis.

'Failed policies'

Mr Mbeki said the country risked being taken back to a past of violent conflict which no-one could afford.

How can S Africa end the violence?
Tensions erupt in city of promise

"This criminal violence has besmirched the image of South Africa," he said.

Earlier, Mr Mbeki promised to create an investigating committee to look into the problem.

One government critic, Moeletsi Mbeki - the president's own brother - has said the government is unwilling to admit that the violence is the result of the failure of its own foreign and immigration policies.

The troubles flared with a wave of attacks on foreigners in the township of Alexandra, within sight of some of Johannesburg's most expensive suburbs.

They have since spread to seven of South Africa's nine provinces.

On Sunday police said 50 people were now believed to have been killed since the troubles began.

Meanwhile, a Cape Town spokesman said at least 10,000 immigrants had fled to makeshift camps outside the south-western city alone.

In Johannesburg, the ANC said delegations from the party's national executive committee were fanning out to community halls and stadia across the city in what it called a "programme of engagement" to stem the tide of violence.

Should we start sending back South Africans to their homeland, as they have done for our brothers and sisters who sought a better life in the Rainbow Land? Just say the word... I am an activist, I have done this sort of thing before, I can do it again!

I think Tanzania needs to send South African to their homeland. Mwalimu kept our independence and economy into jeopardy for the sake of South African. Today these people acts like foolish for no damn reasons.

"In a national radio and television address, he said the attacks were the worst acts of inhumanity South Africa had seen since the end of Apartheid".
Mbona Mbeki amechelewa kutoa tamko la kulaani haya machafuko?Hata hao akina ZUMA walikuwa wapi kusema wakati watu wanauliwa?poor Mbeki and Zuma

Back
Top Bottom