Rwanda President's widow held in France over genocide

Shadow

JF-Expert Member
May 19, 2008
Rwanda president's widow held in France over genocide

_47401687_008874544-1.jpg
Mrs Habyarimana was detained in the Paris region (1977 file photo)

The widow of former Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana, whose assassination triggered the Rwandan genocide, has been arrested in France. Agathe Habyarimana is accused by the current Rwandan government of helping to plan the 1994 genocide, and has long been sought by prosecutors there.
Mrs Habyarimana, who has been living in France for several years, denies the accusations.
More than 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus died in the massacres of 1994.
French officials said Mrs Habyarimana was detained in the Paris region by police executing a Rwandan-issued international arrest warrant.
o.gif
FRANCE-RWANDA RELATIONS
Diplomatic relations broken off 2006, restored late 2009
French judge said current President Paul Kagame had been behind President Habyarimana's assassination
Rwanda accused France of arming Hutu militias

Mrs Habyarimana, who was flown out of Rwanda by the French military in the early days of the violence, has been seeking political asylum in France, without success.
Her arrest follows a visit to the Rwandan capital Kigali last week by French President Nicolas Sarkozy, when he admitted that France - and the wider international community - had make "mistakes" over the genocide.
His comments followed years of strained relations between the two countries.
Extradition?
Diplomatic relations were restored late last year having broken down after a French judge said President Paul Kagame had been behind President Habyarimana's assassination, and Rwanda accused France of arming the Hutu militias involved in the 1994 genocide.
Mrs Habyarimana's lawyer said her arrest was directly linked to Mr Sarkozy's visit.
"You can't not draw a link," said Philippe Meilhac. "The extradition request from Kigali dates back to November and was obviously re-activated."
The BBC's Catherine Zemmouri in Paris says it is not clear if France will extradite her to Rwanda.
She says that French magistrates have recently refused to send three suspects to Rwanda fearing they would not receive a fair trial.
France has, however, extradited suspects to the UN-backed Rwanda war crimes tribunal in Arusha, Tanzania.
President Habyarimana died in April 1994 when his jet was hit by a missile over the Kigali airport.
Hardline ethnic Hutu supporters of the president then launched the apparently pre-planned massacres.

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8545120.stm

propaganda za france baada ya kuona wanawapoteza warwanda kama koloni

Nothing new, but I think she might be a "sacrificial lamb" for restoring France /Rwanda relations.

This woman is perhaps innocent. But what I dont like her about is that she kept quite when Hutus were murdering Tutsis in the name of avenging her husband's death. As a mother why didnt she says: "Stop killing in the name of my husband!" as as Mrs Garang did when her death triggered chaos in khartoum? Mama Garang is a real mother, she told the nation: "Dont kill in the name of my husband! He is Moses, accomplished mission now he has passed on.." But this Aghata must have a stone heart. She did not utter a word as women, children and men were neing slaughetered in the name of her husband. She was in France watching it all on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was moubning her husbands death, in the Rwanda's situation then you would be expecting too much to have her say anything. We did not hear anything from the widow of the first RPF both after her husband was killed. Sometimes death brings negative emotions. Imagine today, asking Tanzanians to abolish capital sentence in the wake of Albino killings!! I do not condone genocide, revenge creates more hatred generation after generation.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom