Rwanda arrests Gen Nyamwasa’s brother

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
The Rwanda army has arrested Lt. Col. Rugigana Ngabo, a brother to renegade Lt. Gen. Kayumba Nyamwasa, over alleged "individual criminal liability".

Gen. Nyamwasa, a former Chief of Staff in the Rwanda army, fled Rwanda through Uganda and Kenya in February, after falling out with President Paul Kagame and the Rwandan Patriotic Front leadership.

Two months ago, Gen. Nyamwasa survived an assassination attempt in the South African city of Johannesburg, where he sought asylum. Without divulging into what the "individual criminal liability" charge means, the Rwanda Defence Forces (RDF) said on Saturday that Col. Ngabo was being investigated for involving himself in activities related to insecurity.

The spokesperson of the RDF, Lt. Col. Jill Rutaremara, told the local press on Saturday evening that, "the RDF on Friday arrested Lt. Col. Ngabo because of his engagement in activities related to insecurity and is currently being held by the military".

Although he did not give details, the army spokesperson added that Col. Ngabo's arrest had nothing to do with his relationship to Gen. Nyamwasa who continues to live in exile in South Africa.

Framing claims
Gen. Nyamwasa after fleeing accused President Kagame of using an anti-corruption campaign to frame opponents. On June 19, as the world's attention was on the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Gen. Nyamwasa was shot by an assailant in a Johannesburg suburb as he returned with his wife from shopping.

One of the two bullets fired at Gen. Nyamwasa hit him on the stomach and he underwent surgery. The case is still pending in a South African court.

Kigali, however, wants Gen. Nyamwasa back to answer charges of terrorism for his alleged connection to the bomb blasts which rocked the Rwanda capital early this year.

Gen. Nyamwasa denies any involvement in the bombings. Just days after the August 9 presidential poll in which Mr Kagame won overwhelmingly with over 90 per cent, a grenade was thrown into a rush-hour crowd in Kigali, wounding at least seven people. Analysts said the attack appeared to be aimed at igniting a political crisis.

Latest indictment

Lt. Col. Ngabo, who until his arrest has been the Commanding Officer of the Engineering Regiment, is the latest high profile indictment of a senior officer of the Rwandan military, this year.

Early this year, two of Rwanda's senior army officials, Lt. Gen. Charles Muhire and Maj. Gen. Emmanuel Karenzi Karake, were suspended and arrested on charges of corruption and immoral conduct respectively.

aisee.....we Africans are shits...why not learning from the same very mistakes we boast to amend????

Africa, Africa, Africa, Africa, Africa, Africa, Africa, why can't we learn from our mistakes? Why can't we fight our common enemy, poverty? Why are we busy fighting against ourselves? Why don't we use the resources to fight hunger? Why don't we use the resources to improve our infrastructures? Why don't we think each other one positively? Why should we think that we must always have the same mind if we are in the same regime? Why don't we accept to be different in thinking direction, ideology, beliefs and we learn to live with each other? There is a lot we can do to ensure that we move our Africa from where it is to some other levels. There is plenty of time in Africa it seems, there is plenty of time always to take the drive on the reverse gear when we are required to engage forward gears! I wish I get time to be heard, I wish I get time to make a decision and that decision honored, I wish I get time to be heard by Africa Rulers as I doubt if there are Leaders (yes they may exist but surely they are few)! God help change Africa!

Calmdown,tatizo wengi humu mmezoea serikali za kishikaji ambazo ndio chanzo cha vurugu zote na umaskini wa Mwafrica,Kagame hana ushikaji na mtu ndio maana waziri au general kuwa arrested ni kitu cha kawaida sana Rwanda na hii ndio imefanya Rwanda the least corrupt country,hakuna personal beef hapo kama mnavyofikiria,hii ina cost PR ya Kagame kwa wasiomwelewa,nina uhakika watu kama kina Lowassa under Kagame wangekuwa wanaozea jela tuu sasa,mawaziri wengi sana Rwanda wamefungwa kwa ajiri ya rushwa au ubadhirifu wa mali ya umma...hakuna udikteta hapo acha watu wawajibike is good for the country,kama mnataka kujenga class & instability achieni watu kama hao then mlie nyimbo za mafisadi kila siku

koba,
Unachosema kina maana saana na ukweli ndo huo, unasema una amani wakati watu wanaiba mali ya taifa na wanafahamika, ihh people

Back
Top Bottom