Risk of getting cancer from drinking just one bottle of wine is the same as smoking up to 10 CIGARETTES a week

Sky Eclat

JF-Expert Member
Oct 17, 2012
In the first study of its kind, academics managed to compare the known dangers of smoking to that of drinking too much.

They found the 'cigarette equivalent' of one bottle of wine – roughly 10 units – is five cigarettes for men or ten for women each week.

And the risk of cancer from downing three bottles of red or white wine each week, or 10 large glasses, is much higher.

Researchers at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, Bangor University and University of Southampton carried out the study.

Dr Theresa Hydes and team estimated 10 in 1,000 men would develop cancer at some point in their lives from drinking one bottle of wine each week.

However, for women this figure was 14 out of 1,000, according to the study published in the journal BioMedCentral Public Health.

Men were more likely to get gastrointestinal cancers from drinking, while the risk of breast cancer was greatest for women.

The risk was much higher for both men and women who drink three bottles of wine per week – more than double the recommended amount.

The study found 19 out of 1,000 men and 36 out of 1,000 women would eventually develop cancer if they drank this amount.

Dr Hydes said: 'We must be absolutely clear that this study is not saying that drinking alcohol in moderation is in any way equivalent to smoking.

Unaongelea kansa ipi? Tezi dume au shingo ya kizazi?
In the first study of its kind, academics managed to compare the known dangers of smoking to that of drinking too much.

They found the 'cigarette equivalent' of one bottle of wine – roughly 10 units – is five cigarettes for men or ten for women each week.

And the risk of cancer from downing three bottles of red or white wine each week, or 10 large glasses, is much higher.

Researchers at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, Bangor University and University of Southampton carried out the study.

Dr Theresa Hydes and team estimated 10 in 1,000 men would develop cancer at some point in their lives from drinking one bottle of wine each week.

However, for women this figure was 14 out of 1,000, according to the study published in the journal BioMedCentral Public Health.

Unaongelea kansa ipi? Tezi dume au shingo ya kizazi?
Men were more likely to get gastrointestinal cancers from drinking, while the risk of breast cancer was greatest for women.

The risk was much higher for both men and women who drink three bottles of wine per week – more than double the recommended amount.

The study found 19 out of 1,000 men and 36 out of 1,000 women would eventually develop cancer if they drank this amount.
I guess these must be rumours..

I am about to empty the second bottle..

I and i will have the third one..! Weekend hii bhana

I guess these must be rumours..

I am about to empty the second bottle..

I and i will have the third one..! Weekend hii bhana
Dr Hydes said: 'We must be absolutely clear that this study is not saying that drinking alcohol in moderation is in any way equivalent to smoking.

Back
Top Bottom