Religious leaders treated as criminals in their own country

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Religious leaders alleged mistreatment at mine

THE CITIZEN

By Felix Mwera, Tarime

Several religious leaders yesterday accused the management of the North Mara Gold Mine of humiliating them during a visit to the mine.

However, Barrick Gold Tanzania spokesperson Teweli Teweli apologised for any inconvenience the clerics may have been subjected to, saying it was the result of a lack of communication between the management and the delegation.

The religious leaders said they were ordered to put their hands up and undergo "highly humiliating" security procedures as well as surrender their belongings such as mobile phones and cameras at the main gate.

"We have indeed been humiliated we were treated as if we were criminals," the bishop of the Anglican Church's Mara Diocese, Hilkiah Omindo Deya, said shortly after visiting the mine.

The delegation also included head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania (ELCT) Bishop Alex Malasusa, Christian Council of Tanzania (CCT) secretary-general Leonard Mtaita and National Muslim Council of Tanzania (Bakwata) secretary-general Ali Mzee.

The religious leaders were reportedly trailed by security men with sniffer dogs during their tour of the mine.

Dr Mtaita said the clerics had previously visited a number of mines with a view to coming up with an alternative report to the one that will be submitted by the Presidential mining sector review committee.

"We are doing all this in order to put together something tangible that we will submit to the Government as far as activities in the mining industry is concerned. We are performing our duty as religious leaders," the CCT secretary-general said.

Journalists from various media houses were barred from entering the mine at the gate, and this seemed to annoy the clerics who had asked the reporters to accompany them.

Sheikh Ali Mzee described their experience as very irritating".

Sister Jean Pruitt of Marynoll Sisters and Dar es Salaam-based advocate Tundu Lissu were among members of the delegation who refused to enter the mine.

He condemned the management of the mine for locking journalists out, saying the gesture was representative of how mining firms were treating Tanzanians.

But Mr Teweli said Barrick Gold, which owns the mine, had apologised for any convenience the delegation faced during their visit.

"There was a lack of communication. We received a request from the committee on Wednesday informing us of its intention to visit the mine.

"Permission was granted but on condition that the names of the visitors be sent in advance to enable us organise their visit.

"But the list arrived very late, and this led to problems in coordinating the visit. We, however, unreservedly apologise for any problem the delegation may have encountered at the mine," Mr Teweli told The Citizen by telephone.

"Religious leaders teach us to forgive. They should therefore show an example by forgiving us for what happened yesterday" he added.

The company further stated that there was no discrimination against those wishing to visit its various mines, adding that both visitors and staff were subjected to security screening.
By Felix Mwera, Tarime

Several religious leaders yesterday accused the management of the North Mara Gold Mine of humiliating them during a visit to the mine.

However, Barrick Gold Tanzania spokesperson Teweli Teweli apologised for any inconvenience the clerics may have been subjected to, saying it was the result of a lack of communication between the management and the delegation.

The religious leaders said they were ordered to put their hands up and undergo "highly humiliating" security procedures as well as surrender their belongings such as mobile phones and cameras at the main gate.

"We have indeed been humiliated, we were treated as if we were criminals," the bishop of the Anglican Church's Mara Diocese, Hilkiah Omindo Deya, said shortly after visiting the mine.

The delegation also included head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania (ELCT) Bishop Alex Malasusa, Christian Council of Tanzania (CCT) secretary-general Leonard Mtaita and National Muslim Council of Tanzania (Bakwata) secretary-general Ali Mzee.

The religious leaders were reportedly trailed by security men with sniffer dogs during their tour of the mine.

Dr Mtaita said the clerics had previously visited a number of mines with a view to coming up with an alternative report to the one that will be submitted by the Presidential mining sector review committee.

"We are doing all this in order to put together something tangible that we will submit to the Government as far as activities in the mining industry is concerned. We are performing our duty as religious leaders," the CCT secretary-general said.

Journalists from various media houses were barred from entering the mine at the gate, and this seemed to annoy the clerics who had asked the reporters to accompany them.

Sheikh Ali Mzee described their experience as "very irritating".

Sister Jean Pruitt of Marynoll Sisters and Dar es Salaam-based advocate Tundu Lissu were among members of the delegation who refused to enter the mine.

He condemned the management of the mine for locking journalists out, saying the gesture was representative of how mining firms were treating Tanzanians.

But Mr Teweli said Barrick Gold, which owns the mine, had apologised for any convenience the delegation faced during their visit.

"There was a lack of communication. We received a request from the committee on Wednesday informing us of its intention to visit the mine.

"Permission was granted but on condition that the names of the visitors be sent in advance to enable us organise their visit.

"But the list arrived very late, and this led to problems in coordinating the visit. We, however, unreservedly apologise for any problem the delegation may have encountered at the mine," Mr Teweli told The Citizen by telephone.

"Religious leaders teach us to forgive. They should therefore show an example by forgiving us for what happened yesterday" he added.

The company further stated that there was no discrimination against those wishing to visit its various mines, adding that both visitors and staff were subjected to security screening.

Sasa hawa viongozi wa dini nao wamezidi! Yaani waruhusiwe tu bila hata kukaguliwa???

Kwa nini wakati wanakaribia hawakupiga simu kuwa wapo njiani ili wapokelewe?

Security ni muhimu kwani uwezekano wa matapeli kuingia mgodini ni mkubwa sana!

Nadhani pia ni fundisho kwa viongozi wa dini kufanya communication na maandalizi mapema wakati mwingine

Sasa kama migodi ina taratibu inabidi zifuatwe na wote, hakuna ubaguzi. Na vilevile ni vizuri siku ingine wakajipanga vizuri kwa kutoa taarifa mapema ili utratibu uwe clear; hii ni kama walitaka kuvizia, sasa kwa nini wavizie?

hawa viongozi wetu wanajiona mungu mitu kweli,sasa wanataka wasipigwe search au vipi? wajifunze kufuata taratibu,labda kama kuna mengine lakini kama ni kupigwa search tuu hiyo huku ndio order of the day hasa Airport na hakuna cha Senator wala crackhead wote mstalini.

Well, I remember very well, when I worked in Bulongwa Lutheran Hospital (ELCT), spent a lot of money and time there in order to treat people living with HIV and it worked quite well as we know that nobody needs to die from the virus. I did this with a team of hihgly skilled people from Tanzania.

At that time it turned out that ELCT and its employees stole hundreds of Millions from the coffers of the diocese, money which was given to serve the poor and citizens of Tanzania.

Do you think that ELCT reacted in a human way and tried to clear the situation? Far from that! Elders and Patients, community members decided to protest, the press took it up and the church is complaining up to date.

The reaction of the bishops was to close the clinic to impair it services (which they admit) which certainly led to the death of many.

I was the only doctor there and I worked there solely for reason of I found it unfair that people in Africa unnecessarily die while others live. By ELCT I was made to someone who wants to damage the church. ELCT is a church highly committed to frauds and looting, not only in Makete and in contradiction to the statements of leaders nobody has been held responsible and as very often in such cases: The money is still in the hand of the thieves, nobody had followed up.

When I was expelled from the clinic with force a panga in front of my eyes, not even beeing allowed to treat my patients, I was humiliated and body searched, treated like a criminal.

Up to date I did not hear any apology from the ELCT leaders, but they agreed that htings got worse for their own fellow African brothers and sisters.

I am sorry, but as with many religious leaders throughout the world, they only complain and talk about others when they can gain something and when they can display their "moral" or "ethic" leadership. In case the evil (killing, theft, looting) happens in their own ranks, they will humiliate, lie, give out wrong statements and so on... abusing the peoples feeling that those are good and close to god, while they - like ELCT leaders - spit in the face of god.

Kilaza wa Barrick Gold huyu anaomba msamaha halafu analazimisha watu wamsamehe, eti kwa vile ni wana dini. Yani public relations and mass communication Bongo zero zero zero! Hajui nini cha kusema.

Anasema anatoa "unreserved apology," ambayo maana yake hakuna maelezo ya kujaribu kuhalalisha kilichotokea. Lakini hapo hapo anasema orodha ya wageni ilicheleweshwa, yaani kuna sababu, kosa la wana dini hao ndio limesababisha yote hayo. Sasa ana apologize nini, hajasema.

Angeweza kusema maneno ya sentensi mbili tatu rahisi tu:
Tunasikitika sana kwa walioyakuta viongozi wetu wa dini walipotembelea mgodini kwetu.

Tulishindwa kupokea taarifa kamili za ugeni mapema kama tulivyoomba katika mawasiliano yetu ya mwanzo, na hivyo idara yetu ya ulinzi ikafuata taratibu za kawaida za kushughulikia ugeni wowote ambao haukufanyiwa mipango maalum ya upokeaji awali.

Tunatumaini mchanganyiko huu hautatokea tena mbeleni, na tunawakaribisha tena wageni wetu mgodini Barick Gold.

Yani public relations and mass communication Bongo zero zero zero! Hajui nini cha kusema.

Kwa hiyo 'kilaza mmoja' akikosea kufanya kazi yake kiufasaha, basi bongo nzima inastahili kutwishwa mzigo si ndio hivo Mr. Great Thinker?

Kwa hiyo 'kilaza mmoja' akikosea kufanya kazi yake kiufasaha, basi bongo nzima inastahili kutwishwa mzigo si ndio hivo Mr. Great Thinker?

Kilaza mmoja? You kidding me? Nikupe mifano ya michemsho within the last 48 hours or so?

Waziri mdogo, Kazi na Ajira, Makongoro Mahanga: kasema juzi kwamba, mafisadi wanaokichafua chama hawazidi wanne, akauliza kwa nini wasitajwe tu? Mwandishi akamwambia, haya wewe wataje leo, waziri akasema, hakuna haja ya kuwataja maana wanajulikana! Mzima huyo? hapa

Waziri mdogo, Viwanda na Biashara, Cyril Chami:
kasema juzi kwamba vitu vikubwa alivyojifunza alipoingia serikalini kutoka kwenye academia ni kwamba 1 ) rais ana kazi ya mateso sana , anamwonea huruma sana, ana kazi nyingi 2 ) ukitaka kuongea na serikali tumia lugha nzuri. Ndio aliyojifunza! hapa.

Waziri mdogo, Elimu na Mafunzo, Mwantumu Hiza
: leo kadai tumuombee dua mbaya mwalimu aliyenajisi mtoto ageuke hanith! hapa

Mama Maria Nyerere: kadai juzi watu wakipata hela wasiende kustarehe Zanzibar kwenye ukimwi! hapa.

Hayo ni ya jana na leo na juzi tu. Sasa ni "kilaza mmoja" tu huyo?

Tabia za aina ni sehemu ya maisha ya watanzania na hasa kwa watu kama wale ma Diwani , RPC m OCD , wanaitwa ma Dr, Mar Prof nk .Tabia za kujiona wakidhani wanatambulika kwa kwamba wao ni muhimu kuliko wananchi wa kawaida .Shida kubwa hii na ndiyo Nchi hii haipigi hatua .NI kwa sababu mtu mwenye PhD anakuwa ni big deal kwenye community aliyoko ama Mbunge na maslahi binafsi

Kilaza mmoja? You kidding me? Nikupe mifano ya michemsho within the last 48 hours or so?

Waziri mdogo, Kazi na Ajira, Makongoro Mahanga: kasema juzi kwamba, mafisadi wanaokichafua chama hawazidi wanne, akauliza kwa nini wasitajwe tu? Mwandishi akamwambia, haya wewe wataje leo, waziri akasema, hakuna haja ya kuwataja maana wanajulikana! Mzima huyo? hapa

Waziri mdogo, Viwanda na Biashara, Cyril Chami:
kasema juzi kwamba vitu vikubwa alivyojifunza alipoingia serikalini kutoka kwenye academia ni kwamba 1 ) rais ana kazi ya mateso sana , anamwonea huruma sana, ana kazi nyingi 2 ) ukitaka kuongea na serikali tumia lugha nzuri. Ndio aliyojifunza! hapa.

Waziri mdogo, Elimu na Mafunzo, Mwantumu Hiza
: leo kadai tumuombee dua mbaya mwalimu aliyenajisi mtoto ageuke hanith! hapa

Mama Maria Nyerere: kadai juzi watu wakipata hela wasiende kustarehe Zanzibar kwenye ukimwi! hapa.

Hayo ni ya jana na leo na juzi tu. Sasa ni "kilaza mmoja" tu huyo?

Hivi kuna tofauti yeyote baina ya 'individuals' na 'bongo'? Naoan sielewielewi hapa.

Well, I remember very well, when I worked in Bulongwa Lutheran Hospital (ELCT), spent a lot of money and time there in order to treat people living with HIV and it worked quite well as we know that nobody needs to die from the virus. I did this with a team of hihgly skilled people from Tanzania.

At that time it turned out that ELCT and its employees stole hundreds of Millions from the coffers of the diocese, money which was given to serve the poor and citizens of Tanzania.

Do you think that ELCT reacted in a human way and tried to clear the situation? Far from that! Elders and Patients, community members decided to protest, the press took it up and the church is complaining up to date.

The reaction of the bishops was to close the clinic to impair it services (which they admit) which certainly led to the death of many.

I was the only doctor there and I worked there solely for reason of I found it unfair that people in Africa unnecessarily die while others live. By ELCT I was made to someone who wants to damage the church. ELCT is a church highly committed to frauds and looting, not only in Makete and in contradiction to the statements of leaders nobody has been held responsible and as very often in such cases: The money is still in the hand of the thieves, nobody had followed up.

When I was expelled from the clinic with force a panga in front of my eyes, not even beeing allowed to treat my patients, I was humiliated and body searched, treated like a criminal.

Up to date I did not hear any apology from the ELCT leaders, but they agreed that htings got worse for their own fellow African brothers and sisters.

I am sorry, but as with many religious leaders throughout the world, they only complain and talk about others when they can gain something and when they can display their "moral" or "ethic" leadership. In case the evil (killing, theft, looting) happens in their own ranks, they will humiliate, lie, give out wrong statements and so on... abusing the peoples feeling that those are good and close to god, while they - like ELCT leaders - spit in the face of god.

This is simply a misplaced effort.

Back
Top Bottom