Reckless drivers face manslaughter charges ABDULWAKIL SAIBOKO Daily News; Monday,February 02, 2009 @21:15 Drivers who knock to death pedestrians will face manslaughter charges instead of being fined, the head of Traffic Police, Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police (SACP), James Kombe has said. Speaking with the 'Daily News' over the week-end Mr Kombe said that such provision would be provided under proposed traffic law to be tabled in the National Assembly this year. The Bill to amend the Road Traffic Act number 30 of 1973 aims at toughening punishments and ensure safety following increase of road accidents. Mr Kombe told the 'Daily News' over the weekend that if passed by the parliament, the new law would increase discipline to all road users as the penalty therein will involve both drivers and passengers. "I think this is more tough compared to the current law in which drivers who hit pedestrians to death are just paying fines," he said. Mr Kombe also said that a bill had proposed that the passenger who would not be fastening their belts or would be standing be fined on the spot according to the law. He noted that, under proposed bill, the fine will range between 20,000/- and 50,000/- and failure to do so the passenger would be taken to court to face justice. Mr Kombe said that the bill had also proposed the restriction for drivers not to use mobile phone while driving and those defying the law would be taken to task. Mr Kombe said that due to the fact that some of the passenger vehicles travel for more than eight hours, the owners had been instructed to employ two drives and that in the proposed bill, a driver who would be caught driving alone will be responsible to pay the fine. According to him, the bill will also put to an end a growing tendency for some bus owners to use lorry chassis in their buses.