Raila Odinga Anena Kuhusu Ufisadi Kenya.

Mpaka Kieleweke

JF-Expert Member
Feb 27, 2007
Statement by the Prime Minister, the Rt Hon Raila Odinga
July 8, 2008
The Grand Regency Hotel
With permission, Mr Speaker, Sir, I wish to make a statement about the controversy
surrounding the sale of the Grand Regency Hotel.
I have decided to make my first Prime Ministerial statement on this subject to this House as I
am a fervent advocate and admirer of parliamentary democracy.
The media has a vital role to play, but on some subjects I did not wish to inform the people of
Kenya what I knew, when I knew, and what I did through press conferences or paid
advertisements.
This House occupies a central role in Kenyan politics. My loyalty is to the supremacy of this
parliament rather than any individual.
This House has the power and responsibility to question how and when government decisions
are made to ensure greater transparency and that highest standards of financial probity are
maintained. I value this immensely.
With these few opening remarks I wish to share the following sequence of events that will
inform the members of my role as Prime Minister.
On April 23 this year I received a telephone call from the Governor of the Central Bank who
told me that there was something he wished to share with me as Prime Minister, concerning
adverse stories appearing in the media. I met him in my office the same evening.
The Governor presented me with an eight-page, undated, unsigned, typed document which
purported to give a background to the Central Bank’s involvement with Kamlesh Pattni and
the case of the Grand Regency hotel, in which the Bank had a charge over the land and
buildings. Mr Speaker, Sir, I will be placing this document and others in my possession in the
Library of the House.
The document noted that the Bank had held a Board Meeting on April 7, 2008, to chart the
way forward. It stated that the Libyan government was “very eager to have a foothold in the
hotel industry” and that “consultations have been ongoing, at the highest levels of the two
governments, where it has been agreed that Libyan investors be encouraged to purchase the
Grand Regency hotel when the opportunity arises”. The investors had agreed to buy the hotel
as a going concern and at market value.
The Governor told me a deal had in fact been concluded on 23rd April with the Libyan
investors, who had paid 10 per cent of the purchase price of US$45 million but the deposit
was not made until 8th May.
This was the narrative according to the Governor of the Central Bank.
The Finance Minister, on his part, told Parliament that the hotel had not been sold on 29th
April. He informed the public that the hotel would be sold through public auction.
This was the rapid rebuttal from the Minister of Finance.
I then began reading in the media often contradictory statements. Because of this, on 25th
April 25, two days after my meeting with the Governor of the Central Bank, I directed my
Chief of Staff, to write to the Director-General of the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission.
In this letter, I requested information on or sight of:
· the status of the receivership accounts relating to the hotel;
· the status of pending civil suits filed by the Commission against Pattni and his codefendants;
· the surrender and transfer documents;
· the consent orders/extracted orders as might have been made;
· the counsel who advised on and prepared the transactional documents;
· the breakdown of the transaction costs;
· how the transaction had been or was being handled in the context of the Privatisation
Act; and
· all other relevant documents, including correspondence exchanged over the
transaction.
The letter was copied to the Attorney-General, to the Finance Minister and to the Governor of
the Central Bank, and to Head of the Civil Service.
On June 12th I received a reply from the Director General of KACC confirming that the
Grand Regency hotel had been recovered from Pattni’s Uhuru Highway Development Ltd
and handed over to the Central Bank of Kenya.
Attached to the letter was a copy of the Court Order issued under Civil Suit No. 111 of 2003,
instituted under the Kenya Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act, showing that a
settlement had been reached between the Bank and Pattni regarding the handing-over of the
Grand Regency in exchange for the Bank’s abandoning all claims against Pattni and all other
defendants in the case.
The KACC however did not furnish me with all the documents as per my request of 25th
April. I was thus forwarded partial evidence but not the whole so I can make an informed
assessment.
What precipitated my action to call the Cabinet Committee on Finance, Administration and
Planning was that the Minister of Lands discovered that the transfer had been mysteriously
effected on 25th June and made a press briefing to that effect on the same day. On 27th June
the Finance Minister for the first time acknowledged that indeed the hotel had been sold.
At the meeting held on 1st July the Cabinet Committee constituted a technical sub-committee
with the mandate to collect and review all available documents and records relating to sale of
the Grand Regency Hotel.
The Committee reported back on the evening of 1st July and by that time this House had
carried the motion of “No Confidence” in the Minister of Finance.
The Committee’s deliberations, observations and findings compelled them to make
recommendations that the Minister for Finance and others be directed to step aside until an
in-depth investigation on the purported sale are carried out.
I am very pleased that the Minister of Finance has deemed it important to step aside. This is
an honourable action for which I commend him.
Mr Speaker, Sir let me at this juncture say that the Government values Libyan investment and
we have no quarrel with the Libyan government. In fact the Libyan investors are not only
interested in hotel developments but have also expressed interest in refinery, pipeline and
other infrastructural projects. I wish to assure the Libyan investors that the Government is
committed to resolving the sale of Grand Regency hotel in a mutually agreeable manner.
As this crisis was raging on during the last two weeks I also heard that some of our
development partners were considering withdrawing financial support and development
assistance. The news headlines may have also deterred potential investors that Kenya is back
in business as before where financial transparency and accountability are just meaningless
words. Well my message to them is that this is the new Kenya where people regardless of
their status are accountable for their actions. Justice for all but not the chosen few remains
our motto.
The establishment of good governance – i.e. the practice by political leadership of
accountability, transparency, openness, predictability and the rule of the law – is widely
accepted as a critical element in securing stable economic development for market oriented
growth in our country. Governance is not necessarily limited to government in which all
public affairs are conducted for instance in the economic sector.
Good governance depends on the extent to which a government is perceived and accepted by
the general citizenry to be legitimate and responsive to the needs of the citizenry; competent
in ensuring law and order and in delivery of public services; and equitable in its conduct,
favouring no special interest or groups.
Achieving Good Governance and overcoming the practices of profligacy and corruption
inherited from the past is one of the most important challenges facing the country and our
government of Grand Coalition. But in facing this challenge we must not be shackled by the
fear of being perceived to be corrupt in pursuing genuine opportunities to enhance our
economic development.

Huku kwetu badala ya PM wetu kuweka mambo hadharani kama huyu wa Kenya yeye anaishia kusema yupo radhi afe mradi asiweke hadharani ufisadi wa MEREMETA.

Kuna haja ya kumuazima Raila kuja kuwa PM hapa kwetu japo kwa muda?ili aweze kuweka mambo hadharani bila hofu?

Bunge letu linapaswa kuiga mfano huu wa kuhoji na PM kutoa maelezo sio maigizo.

lakini si unafahamu uwiano wa wabunge katika Bunge la Kenya! Kwahiyo inapopigwa kura ya "No confidence" uwiano huo unasaidia, tofauti na hapa kwetu!

Na ndio maana Mh Pinda anajidai kuwa yuko tayari kutolewa "kafara" huku akijua uwiano uliopo hauwezi kufanya hilo!

Wadanganyika bado tunaishi katika nchi ya kusadikika ya kuamini, kwa sababu za kijinga kabisa, kuwa sisi ni watu tofauti na wengine. Mpaka hapo tutakapozinduka kutoka hili lindi la usingizi mzito, tutazidi tu kukodolea macho maendeleo ya wenzetu katika nyanja zote za maisha iwe elimu, uchumi, michezo n.k.

Tunajivunia amani bila kujua gharama yake. Adui mkubwa wa binadamu ni kutokujua kwamba hujui. Kwa hili watanzania tunatia fora na matokeo yake tunapofushwa macho tusijue hata namna ya kuchagua kilicho bora badala yake bora tunachagua. Sifa moja ya ujinga wa aina hii ni kuanza kutetea hata yale ambayo kwa akili ya kawaida hayawezi kutetewa. Kwa mtu mmoja kufanya hivyo kunaweza kusameheka, lakini kwa kundi kubwa katika jamii ni balaa. Na mwisho wake hauwezi kuwa salama maanake mpambano kati ya wengi ni vita.

Ndugu zangu Watanzania, ukiona mwenzako ananyolewa na wewe anza kutia maji. Tumeshuhudia wenzetu wakinyolewa left, right and center lakini hata hatustuki. Naomba kwa ruhusa yenu nitamke wazi leo kuwa Watanzania tu WAJINGA.

July 8, 2008
The Grand Regency Hotel
With permission, Mr Speaker, Sir, I wish to make a statement about the controversy
surrounding the sale of the Grand Regency Hotel.
I have decided to make my first Prime Ministerial statement on this subject to this House as I
am a fervent advocate and admirer of parliamentary democracy.
The media has a vital role to play, but on some subjects I did not wish to inform the people of
Kenya what I knew, when I knew, and what I did through press conferences or paid
advertisements.
This House occupies a central role in Kenyan politics. My loyalty is to the supremacy of this
parliament rather than any individual.
This House has the power and responsibility to question how and when government decisions
are made to ensure greater transparency and that highest standards of financial probity are
maintained. I value this immensely.
With these few opening remarks I wish to share the following sequence of events that will
inform the members of my role as Prime Minister.
On April 23 this year I received a telephone call from the Governor of the Central Bank who
told me that there was something he wished to share with me as Prime Minister, concerning
adverse stories appearing in the media. I met him in my office the same evening.
The Governor presented me with an eight-page, undated, unsigned, typed document which
purported to give a background to the Central Bank’s involvement with Kamlesh Pattni and
the case of the Grand Regency hotel, in which the Bank had a charge over the land and
buildings. Mr Speaker, Sir, I will be placing this document and others in my possession in the
Library of the House.
The document noted that the Bank had held a Board Meeting on April 7, 2008, to chart the
way forward. It stated that the Libyan government was “very eager to have a foothold in the
hotel industry” and that “consultations have been ongoing, at the highest levels of the two
governments, where it has been agreed that Libyan investors be encouraged to purchase the
Grand Regency hotel when the opportunity arises”. The investors had agreed to buy the hotel
as a going concern and at market value.
The Governor told me a deal had in fact been concluded on 23rd April with the Libyan
investors, who had paid 10 per cent of the purchase price of US$45 million but the deposit
was not made until 8th May.
This was the narrative according to the Governor of the Central Bank.
The Finance Minister, on his part, told Parliament that the hotel had not been sold on 29th
April. He informed the public that the hotel would be sold through public auction.
This was the rapid rebuttal from the Minister of Finance.
I then began reading in the media often contradictory statements. Because of this, on 25th
April 25, two days after my meeting with the Governor of the Central Bank, I directed my
Chief of Staff, to write to the Director-General of the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission.
In this letter, I requested information on or sight of:
· the status of the receivership accounts relating to the hotel;
· the status of pending civil suits filed by the Commission against Pattni and his codefendants;
· the surrender and transfer documents;
· the consent orders/extracted orders as might have been made;
· the counsel who advised on and prepared the transactional documents;
· the breakdown of the transaction costs;
· how the transaction had been or was being handled in the context of the Privatisation
Act; and
· all other relevant documents, including correspondence exchanged over the
transaction.
The letter was copied to the Attorney-General, to the Finance Minister and to the Governor of
the Central Bank, and to Head of the Civil Service.
On June 12th I received a reply from the Director General of KACC confirming that the
Grand Regency hotel had been recovered from Pattni’s Uhuru Highway Development Ltd
and handed over to the Central Bank of Kenya.
Attached to the letter was a copy of the Court Order issued under Civil Suit No. 111 of 2003,
instituted under the Kenya Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act, showing that a
settlement had been reached between the Bank and Pattni regarding the handing-over of the
Grand Regency in exchange for the Bank’s abandoning all claims against Pattni and all other
defendants in the case.
The KACC however did not furnish me with all the documents as per my request of 25th
April. I was thus forwarded partial evidence but not the whole so I can make an informed
assessment.
What precipitated my action to call the Cabinet Committee on Finance, Administration and
Planning was that the Minister of Lands discovered that the transfer had been mysteriously
effected on 25th June and made a press briefing to that effect on the same day. On 27th June
the Finance Minister for the first time acknowledged that indeed the hotel had been sold.
At the meeting held on 1st July the Cabinet Committee constituted a technical sub-committee
with the mandate to collect and review all available documents and records relating to sale of
the Grand Regency Hotel.
The Committee reported back on the evening of 1st July and by that time this House had
carried the motion of “No Confidence” in the Minister of Finance.
The Committee’s deliberations, observations and findings compelled them to make
recommendations that the Minister for Finance and others be directed to step aside until an
in-depth investigation on the purported sale are carried out.
I am very pleased that the Minister of Finance has deemed it important to step aside. This is
an honourable action for which I commend him.
Mr Speaker, Sir let me at this juncture say that the Government values Libyan investment and
we have no quarrel with the Libyan government. In fact the Libyan investors are not only
interested in hotel developments but have also expressed interest in refinery, pipeline and
other infrastructural projects. I wish to assure the Libyan investors that the Government is
committed to resolving the sale of Grand Regency hotel in a mutually agreeable manner.
As this crisis was raging on during the last two weeks I also heard that some of our
development partners were considering withdrawing financial support and development
assistance. The news headlines may have also deterred potential investors that Kenya is back
in business as before where financial transparency and accountability are just meaningless
words. Well my message to them is that this is the new Kenya where people regardless of
their status are accountable for their actions. Justice for all but not the chosen few remains
our motto.
The establishment of good governance – i.e. the practice by political leadership of
accountability, transparency, openness, predictability and the rule of the law – is widely
accepted as a critical element in securing stable economic development for market oriented
growth in our country. Governance is not necessarily limited to government in which all
public affairs are conducted for instance in the economic sector.
Good governance depends on the extent to which a government is perceived and accepted by
the general citizenry to be legitimate and responsive to the needs of the citizenry; competent
in ensuring law and order and in delivery of public services; and equitable in its conduct,
favouring no special interest or groups.
Achieving Good Governance and overcoming the practices of profligacy and corruption
inherited from the past is one of the most important challenges facing the country and our
government of Grand Coalition. But in facing this challenge we must not be shackled by the
fear of being perceived to be corrupt in pursuing genuine opportunities to enhance our
economic development.

Huku kwetu badala ya PM wetu kuweka mambo hadharani kama huyu wa Kenya yeye anaishia kusema yupo radhi afe mradi asiweke hadharani ufisadi wa MEREMETA.

Kuna haja ya kumuazima Raila kuja kuwa PM hapa kwetu japo kwa muda?ili aweze kuweka mambo hadharani bila hofu?[/COLOR]

Inawezekana kuwa na wakina Raila hapa tanzania ila mpaka tutakapo kubali wakina Zito na Dr Slaa kuwa sehemu ya serikali. Mbali na hivyo tutaendelea kuliwa tu.

Inawezekana kuwa na wakina Raila hapa tanzania ila mpaka tutakapo kubali wakina Zito na Dr Slaa kuwa sehemu ya serikali. Mbali na hivyo tutaendelea kuliwa tu.

Ukombozi uko karibu, hakuna marefu yasiyokuwa na ncha!

Tutaweza kufikia kiasi hicho na kuwapata watu wa mtindo wa Raila pale tutakapoweza kutokomeza mtandao wa majambazi uliojikita katika chama tawala - Chama cha mapinduzi(CCM).

Bila kuondoa mafisadi wa CCM hatutaweza kupata watu wakawa mawaziri wakuu na kufanya kazi inavyotakiwa. Maana mafisadi wetu watasema na wao wanasema yale yale hila Raila anasema kwa ukali sana.

Wadanganyika bado tunaishi katika nchi ya kusadikika ya kuamini, kwa sababu za kijinga kabisa, kuwa sisi ni watu tofauti na wengine. Mpaka hapo tutakapozinduka kutoka hili lindi la usingizi mzito, tutazidi tu kukodolea macho maendeleo ya wenzetu katika nyanja zote za maisha iwe elimu, uchumi, michezo n.k.

Tunajivunia amani bila kujua gharama yake. Adui mkubwa wa binadamu ni kutokujua kwamba hujui. Kwa hili watanzania tunatia fora na matokeo yake tunapofushwa macho tusijue hata namna ya kuchagua kilicho bora badala yake bora tunachagua. Sifa moja ya ujinga wa aina hii ni kuanza kutetea hata yale ambayo kwa akili ya kawaida hayawezi kutetewa. Kwa mtu mmoja kufanya hivyo kunaweza kusameheka, lakini kwa kundi kubwa katika jamii ni balaa. Na mwisho wake hauwezi kuwa salama maanake mpambano kati ya wengi ni vita.

Ndugu zangu Watanzania, ukiona mwenzako ananyolewa na wewe anza kutia maji. Tumeshuhudia wenzetu wakinyolewa left, right and center lakini hata hatustuki. Naomba kwa ruhusa yenu nitamke wazi leo kuwa Watanzania tu WAJINGA.

mag3,

Unayoyasema hakika na kweli, na TOFAUTI yetu ndio huo UJINGA unaelekea zaidi kuwa upumbavu.

Ila, tufanyeje?

mag3,

Unayoyasema hakika na kweli, na TOFAUTI yetu ndio huo UJINGA unaelekea zaidi kuwa upumbavu.

Ila, tufanyeje?

Miratkad,

Kwa makusudi kabisa niliita ujinga badala ya upumbavu kwa sababu naamini kuna kundi dogo la Watanzania linakubali kuwa tu wajinga. Na kukubali ujinga ni hatua ya mwanzo katika kuerevuka. Tatizo ni kuwa kama ilivyo kwa mwenye chongo kuonekana mfalme kati ya vipofu, tofauti ipo kwa mwerevu kuonekana kichaa kati ya wajinga. Kwa tafsiri kama hii, Tanzania tunahitaji kiongozi kichaa.

Kwa katiba tuliyo nayo sasa hivi akijitokeza kichaa wa aina hii hawezi kufurukuta na uongozi tulio nao unalijua hili fika. Kinachoidumaza Tanzania kwa sasa hivi ni KATIBA - katiba itakayoviwezesha BUNGE na MAHAKAMA kufanya kazi zake kwa uhuru na haki. Katiba ya sasa hivi inaminya haki ya raia kwa kisingizio cha kulinda amani hewa. Na bahati mbaya zaidi ni kuwa katiba hii inailinda mno haki ya mwanachama wa chama tawala kuliko inavyolinda haki ya mwanachi.

Kuna haja ya kumuazima Raila kuja kuwa PM hapa kwetu japo kwa muda?ili aweze kuweka mambo hadharani bila hofu?

..tofautisha mambo kidogo.

..kwanza,hiyo ni kenya.

..pili,waziri mkuu ni chama kingine na waziri wa fedha kingine.

..tatu,hiyo mission ni ya odm [orengo alipoibua masuala ya transfer]

..kwanza,hiyo ni kenya.

Na kama ni Kenya?? Issue ni kwamba Tanzania hatuna viongozi wenye political will to act fairly and correctly ama sio, but why? And for how much longer do people have to suffer in the hands of these few?

We should question like this otherwise tutakuwa tunazidi kuibiwa tuuu.

..kwanza,hiyo ni kenya.

Ila Jua kuwa Kenya ipo Afrika ya Mashariki ,na sisi tupo Afrika ya Mashariki.

Ila wote wanaongoza serikali kwa masilahi ya wakenya ,hapa kwetu PM wetu yupo tayari kufa mradi awalinde mafisadi kama alivyowahi kuapa akiwa bungeni kuhusu MEREMETA.

Hiyo sio mission ya ODM ila ni mission ya wakenya kwa masilahi ya wakenya ,hapa kwetu ndio tunaangalia masilahi ya vyama kuliko ya taifa.

Huu ni mfano wa kuigwa kwani kama ukisoma utaona kuwa PM wa kenya alipopata taarifa aliwaita viongozi na kutaka kupata majibu juu ya sakata zima ,hapa kwetu hata wakisikia hakuna hatua zinazochukuliwa kwa uharaka na kwa masilahi ya watanzania .

Tofauti ni kuwa sisi tuna viongozi waliopo kwa masilahi yao na wao wanan viongozi kwa ajili ya masilahi ya wananchi wao.

Tutaweza kufikia kiasi hicho na kuwapata watu wa mtindo wa Raila pale tutakapoweza kutokomeza mtandao wa majambazi uliojikita katika chama tawala - Chama cha mapinduzi(CCM).

Bila kuondoa mafisadi wa CCM hatutaweza kupata watu wakawa mawaziri wakuu na kufanya kazi inavyotakiwa. Maana mafisadi wetu watasema na wao wanasema yale yale hila Raila anasema kwa ukali sana.

By the way, their days are numbered.

No,kilichopo ni hawa Majambazi kupinduliwa kwa kutumia sanduku la kura 2010. Then 2011 tunaanza na Bunge la kukomana mchana kweupee. I hope hata mie ndani ya nyumba he he he!

Ila Jua kuwa Kenya ipo Afrika ya Mashariki ,na sisi tupo Afrika ya Mashariki.

Ila wote wanaongoza serikali kwa masilahi ya wakenya ,hapa kwetu PM wetu yupo tayari kufa mradi awalinde mafisadi kama alivyowahi kuapa akiwa bungeni kuhusu MEREMETA.

Hiyo sio mission ya ODM ila ni mission ya wakenya kwa masilahi ya wakenya ,hapa kwetu ndio tunaangalia masilahi ya vyama kuliko ya taifa.

Huu ni mfano wa kuigwa kwani kama ukisoma utaona kuwa PM wa kenya alipopata taarifa aliwaita viongozi na kutaka kupata majibu juu ya sakata zima ,hapa kwetu hata wakisikia hakuna hatua zinazochukuliwa kwa uharaka na kwa masilahi ya watanzania .

Tofauti ni kuwa sisi tuna viongozi waliopo kwa masilahi yao na wao wanan viongozi kwa ajili ya masilahi ya wananchi wao.

Now i can agree with you!

Wabunge Dodoma, Please Learn From Nairobi!!!

Juzi katika Bunge la Kenya, wabunge waliamua kupitisha a vote of no confidence katika Waziri wa Fedha Bw Amos Kimunya kwa sababu ya ishu za ufisadi.What really captivated me lilikua lile swala la wabunge kuungana pamoja regardless of party affiliations ili kumpiga huyu bwana chini.

President Kibaki had no otherwise but to comply, ama ile coalition government ingesambaratika hata kabla hakujakucha.The members had decided if Kibaki does not move, then budget was as good as dead.Kisha kumbuka the guy in the cross hairs is the same character who brought the budget to Parliament.Kwa hivyo Kibaki himself was facing a vote of no confidence kama angeenda kinyume na maombi ya wabunge walio wengi.

Video link hapa... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRGMCtL1-8

Now lets reflect this on the situtation in Dodoma. Jamani kwani hawa wabunge
hawawezi kupitisha a vote of no confidence on these 'fisadis' implicated in
the EPA, Meremeta, Tangold, Buzwagi...? Nashangaa jamaa bado wamekaa bungeni as representatives of the people yet ni wezi kupindukia mpaka inakatiza tamaa. The impunity they show will only worsen if nothing is done, more so when the wind of change is sweeping across East Africa.

Nakumbuka Mh. Zitto Kabwe alipopitia hapa Michigan nilimuuliza swali na nalirudia hapa...What is the part of the executive (read President) in these scandals?...Can't he reign in on these guys and tell them to desisit or better yet just fire them?...The more we do not see him take a leading role in checking graft, then the more questions we have about his complacency.

As the Chief Executive, the buck stops at his desk and when things look bleak we shall hold him accountable as a sin of ommission.

To be honest, hadi huwa nawaonea wivu wakenya!, Can you imagine wamebanguana katika uchaguzi lakini sasa hivi wanafanyakazi kwa nguvu zote bila kubebana bebana na wanatupiga bao hivi hivi.. sie tupo tuuuuuu eti amani na utulivu amani na utulivu??

Bila haya, PM wetu anaapa eti bora asulubiwe kuliko kuongelea mafisadi wa meremeta?

Hivi vyama mbadala mbona msituhamasishe kwa kufanya maandamano ya amani kupinga kauli kama hizi na kuendelea kuwaamsha walio lala kwa ajili ya ukombozi wetu 2010?

Hata hao wakiingia serikalini, bado kutakuwa na uozo huo huo tu wa kutetea blunder za serikali inapotokea wanachemka. na ndio maana tunakuwa na upinzani ili kuiamsha serikali

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom