Kenya 2022 President-elect William Ruto welcomes Media criticism

Kenya 2022 General Election

beth

JF-Expert Member
Aug 19, 2012
Kenya’s president-elect William Ruto has welcomed criticism from the media as he promises an administration that grants freedom of the press under his presidency.

Speaking on Monday night in his first interview after being declared president-elect, Dr Ruto assured that he is a big proponent of press freedom despite previous criticism he levelled against the Fourth Estate during his presidential campaign, in which he alleged bias.

“I believe in the freedom of the media and that the media has a role to play. When I criticise the media, it is because I believe in the media and I want the media to do the right thing,” Ruto told journalists.

While quoting advice he attributed to veteran lawyer Paul Muite during his early days in Parliament, the incoming Head of State pointed out that his criticism of the media is only borne out of wanting a bias-free press.

“Paul Muite once told me that the best way to support the government is to criticise it when it goes wrong… so when we criticise the media, it is not that we have issues with the media. We just do not want the media to be biased,” he added.

He welcomed criticism of his administration from the media, saying: “I encourage you to criticise us when we go wrong and our competitors as well, balance your coverage and let us have a free and fair media.”

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) gazetted Dr Ruto as the duly elected President on Monday, August 15, 2022.
Through a gazette notice dated August 15, IEBC Chairperson Wafula Chebukati also gazetted his running mate, Rigathi Gachagua, as the duly elected Deputy President.

Ruto was announced the winner on Monday night after garnering 7,176,141 votes, representing 50.49 per cent of the total votes cast

Source: Citizen Digital

Back
Top Bottom