Plato on Leadership

A leader is named so because there is leadership in him, You would rather argue whether there is leadership in African rulers.
well!! thanks for your understanding though that question needs someone who is read for meditation and not taking as normally taken (philosophical understanding)

But thanks for knowledge

Did you do philosophy for your own interest or you are an Ex. Seminarian (Catholic Church)?
No! am a graduate of a bachelor degree of philosophy though was not a purely per ce because I even took education as minor study ,so it was a bachelor degree of philosophy with education (specialized in philosophy and linguistics)

well!! thanks for your understanding though that question needs someone who is read for meditation and not taking as normally taken (philosophical understanding)

But thanks for knowledge

You would have said it before that the question was meant for meditators only, otherwise you need to rephrase it for all of us.

Philosophy is very interesting, but if you look at it deeply, you can even loose your faith. Did you study about Karl Marx and Spinoza? For Karl Marx religion is an opium of the people , Spinoza said God is nature. For your own view , does God exits ? If not, what's is the first cause?

Philosophy is very interesting, but if you look at it deeply, you can even loose your faith. Did you study about Karl Marx and Spinoza? For Karl Marx religion is an opium of the people , Spinoza said God is nature. For your own view , does God exits ? If not, what's is the first cause?
Haha yes! I did and I tried in my best to have some of their ideas; from Ancient epoch up to contemporary philosophers plus african philosophy ....haha the case of does God exist or else! let's leave it as it is 🙏🙏 but sorry for that

Big up! Does God exist? Leave as it is! For me the first cause is there, but I stop there!!let me struggle for what I see physically.

I think out of what you did, you have developed your intellectual fuculties such as inteligence, understanding, thoughts etc. Suppose if you join politics ?

I think out of what you did, you have developed your intellectual fuculties such as inteligence, understanding, thoughts etc. Suppose if you join politics ?
Of course yes! no where I can't feed the knowledge I got (Education, democracy,government system,bioethics,laws,religion,ethics etc)

Hahah the question of if I join in politics!! before all, thing to know is that human being by nature is a political animal and social being ;so having say that, so!no one would say he can't join in politics either by be a leader or follower

Personally speaking! African politics are on such as glory and survival ,so a leader can justify the use of immoral means to achieve his or her ends without looking what kind(s) of means used .most of African politicians are found in a book of NICCOLO MACHIAVELLI known as 'The Prince'.........Just find it, you will get something bruh

🙏🙏

Sure, human being by nature is a political animal and social being, but for a real leader one has to be " a visionary person" the one who knows how to direct and to lead. Even every human being was born a philosopher, but when Plato said a leader must be a philosopher he meant " a visionary person" If at all Africa could choose a visionary person as the leader, the Continent could be very far economically.

Sure, human being by nature is a political animal and social being, but for a real leader one has to be " a visionary person" the one who knows how to direct and to lead. Even every human being was born a philosopher, but when Plato said a leader must be a philosopher he meant " a visionary person" If at all Africa could choose a visionary person as the leader, the Continent could be very far economically
Thanks for knowledge !! Enjoy the moment of being rational by nature

I love philosophy: but I am repeating myself here! ;)

I love getting to understand the Cosmos, Deity, The Physical and The Metaphysical, Natural History , The Human Nature, and The Organization of Human Societies.

With it, Philosophy, particularly at the levels of epistemology and ontology, is fundamental in improving inter-personal relations, decoding human behavior and words, and generally surviving or better, thriving.

Various influences of contemporary philosophers, but overall theme is realism, with some bits and pieces of futurology.

Human beings are rational by nature, but your fellow human being can lead you into irrational being. Those mad people you see always around, do you think they were created to be like that.? From what I have said, do you think that God created evil? One philosopher spoke about the problem of evil in the universe, I have forgotten the name of that person.

I love philosophy: but I am repeating myself here! ;)

I love getting to understand the Cosmos, Deity, The Physical and The Metaphysical, Natural History , The Human Nature, and The Organization of Human Societies.

With it, Philosophy, particularly at the levels of epistemology and ontology, is fundamental in improving inter-personal relations, decoding human behavior and words, and generally surviving or better, thriving.

Various influences of contemporary philosophers, but overall theme is realism, with some bits and pieces of futurology.
In that modus operandi ! flabbergasting will cust on vein! but I like your venum unum ; philosophy is for wise men but never get quit mr futurist

I like your comment!

Human beings are rational by nature, but your fellow human being can lead you into irrational being. Those mad people you see always around, do you think they were created to be like that.? From what I have said, do you think that God created evil? One philosopher spoke about the problem of evil in the universe, I have forgotten the name of that person.
Around of many talked about the problem of evil (Leibniz, St.Augustine,St Thomas Aquinas etc) mostly found in a medieval epoch

About does GOD created evil? for me I can't answer this question because this is issue of faith or believe ! So let's leave as it is

While he was treating about leadership, firstly Plato proposes that; states should be governed by philosophers and be a lover of wisdom (searching for knowledge).

What Plato says about leadership ? Leadership is a duty of philosopher kings who acquire the techniques and skills for the art of ruling. An ideal state, Plato says, “can never grow into a reality” until “philosophers become rulers in this world, or until those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands
Why he said so ?

He believed that, 'Only philosophers are morally and intellectually suited to govern and lead. Morally because they are interested in and have a passion for truth and learning, while showing no interest in the temptations of gaining power for the sake of power. Intellectually because they are able to attain knowledge on the ideal forms of virtue, beauty, and the good'

Philosophers as leaders​

Virtue and the good are key to Plato’s view on leadership as an art of ruling. Leaders can attain four cardinal virtues:

• Prudence (as wisdom)
  • Justice (as fairness)
  • Temperance (as moderation/restraint)
  • Courage (as fortitude/resilience)
The “good” refers to the ultimate goal of attaining knowledge, because actions that are “just” add utility and value for others.

My question comes! direct speaking in African context , do we have leadership from our leader(s) or do we have leader(s) out of leadership ?​

Asanteni! karibu
I have seen this contribution rather late and unfortunately presently I am not in a position to do justice to it. But for now I can tell you that you are quoting a small portion of Plato's presentation. If you had quoted the whole point he was making it would have made a better sense.
In short Plato was proposing that the ideal situation would be to have rulers who are pholosophers. But Plato believed a real philosopher would not want to be a ruler because it is fulfilling endeavor and therefore it is not appealing to a true philosopher.
Then he sends a warning to philosophers that if they allow this situation then they will be governed by less reputable people and therefore we should encourage some philosophers to vie for leadership and we should support and compensate them for the sacrifice and that they should take such duties for short duration and let other philosophers sacrifice and take up this thankless task. He did not believe a philosopher would take up leadership in order to make money for himself and his party like it is mostly done today!
It is for this Plato's reasoning that even today, very few real capable people (true philosophers) vie for leadership. But those who are least capable vie for leadership believing to be intelligent and capable to lead every body, including the true philosophers! And when a true philosopher volunteers to want to become a leader, the masses do not understand him/ her because he/she is not capable of appealing to their "base values' of " it is our turn to it".Therefore Plato was raising a dilemma.

I have seen this contribution rather late and unfortunately presently I am not in a position to do justice to it. But for now I can tell you that you are quoting a small portion of Plato's presentation. If you had quoted the whole point he was making it would have made a better sense.
In short Plato was proposing that the ideal situation would be to have rulers who are pholosophers. But Plato believed a real philosopher would not want to be a ruler because it is fulfilling endeavor and therefore it is not appealing to a true philosopher.
Then he sends a warning to philosophers that if they allow this situation then they will be governed by less reputable people and therefore we should encourage some philosophers to vie for leadership and we should support and compensate them for the sacrifice and that they should take such duties for short duration and let other philosophers sacrifice and take up this thankless task. He did not believe a philosopher would take up leadership in order to make money for himself and his party like it is mostly done today!
It is for this Plato's reasoning that even today, very few real capable people (true philosophers) vie for leadership. But those who are least capable vie for leadership believing to be intelligent and capable to lead every body, including the true philosophers! And when a true philosopher volunteers to want to become a leader, the masses do not understand him/ her because he/she is not capable of appealing to their "base values' of " it is our turn to it".Therefore Plato was raising a dilemma.
I meant a philosopher to be a political leader is not a fulfilling endeavor.

Yes ,I did!!

Haha! interesting ,.yes I can say in a little bit , I think the main theme of Plato's Allegory of the Cave; (its all about knowledge ;how do person come to know about a true knowledge?) the main idea from the Republican boom ; is that human perception cannot derive true knowledge, and instead, real knowledge can only come via philosophical reasoning(the only trait that differentiate human beings from other animals(rationality)). Plato gave this example; prisoners live their entire lives in a cave, only able to see shadows. To them, these shadows were the reality .....

You can add more brother...and thanks for rewinding me in a three to four years back
Very true

Big up! Does God exist? Leave as it is! For me the first cause is there, but I stop there!!let me struggle for what I see physically.
Believing in the existence of God is easy for those who question it in the first place. It's quite easy philosophically to derive some evidence on the existence of God. Of coz you may also use same philosophy to argue against it. As for me, philosophy has strengthened so much my belief on God and His only Begotten Son.

Back
Top Bottom