Pieces of Advice for college/ University students before their grad.

baest

JF-Expert Member
Jul 12, 2015
When I got to college, I never worried about Job after graduation. I wanted a finance internship and knew that it would take time due to my degree not related direct with finance job requirements ( as I did bachelor of arts in economics and statistics).

I will share with you some mistakes I committed that you should not do for your Carrier development before you have graduated!

1. Build (and make) your resume. If you are just entering college, you still have experience! Your monitor/ Monitress role in high school counts at this stage. While you're in college, you have 3/4 years to learn anything and everything you desire. Start to join clubs or organizations that you are interested in as well shows your interest in companies that you desire to work. If you really want an internship you need to figure out the type of company you want to work for. Huge companies may not be the best fit. I suggest coming up with a list of big and small companies for the type of financial internship you are looking for and doing a little bit of research on their core values, business lines, internship opportunities, and culture. For me I listed PWC, delloite, E & Y, standard chartered bank and stanbic which are all big and competitive. I was not realistic at this.

2.Find mentors. For me I never bothered, (sijui utoto na ulimbukeni wa boom) but for you I suggest find someone that is where you want to be and figure out how they got there! All it takes for someone to be your mentor is to ask them, and the least they can do is say no. There should be a student or alumni somewhere where you want to end up or has had the experience you are. Reach out to them and learn from them to start building connections and a network.

3. Practice interviewing. This is something that is essential. Most companies will ask behavioral questions, aptitude tests, so start to form your answers based on personal experiences. Questions like "Tell me a time where you tried to accomplish and failed" do not require professional experiences, but the experiences that have made you the person you are today. I lost good change at for this reason though my aptitude test results were outstanding!

4.Be yourself. Be authentic and interesting. At the college, sometimes your roommates will be thinking you are wasting money for interview and applications. Trust me, though you will be failing at some point, trust me you will have something worth than staying in hostel and watching Korean movies.

5. Try to network with potential people such as recruiters.
I attended PWC, delloite and other 2 other firm's interview that I don't want to mention here. I regret to say that, I never bothered to network and exchange contacts with some. I think if I could do so often, probably, I could not be here looking for placement.

Note: they say, if you want catch up with a princes/ prince, try to visit often time to a restaurant than kings and queen used to go.

6. Do not rely on your grades as security. Tanzania sio ya miaka huyo tena. People need what have left in your head after UE.
Remember, a moving ant is worth more than an ox that is only dozing.

Good luck! Karibu wahenga mtujuze

Sent using Jamii Forums mobile app