PETITION – President Jakaya Kikwete: Stop the Serengeti Sell-Off

This was from my friend who is in Spain from what he heard he says"Dear ALL

This is important .
Big-game hunting corporations using Middle Eastern Oil money are attempting to sign a deal which would force up to 48,000 members of Africa's famous Maasai tribe from their land. Wealthy Middle Eastern kings and princes will hunt lions and leopards within the Serengeti.

The Tanzanian President's approval is needed but he may be influenced by the large one-off money payment. I've just signed this important petition at Avaaz.org to help prevent an ancient African tribe from losing their land to corporate big game hunters.

Join me in this campaign here: Avaaz - Stop the Serengeti Sell-off

I know the Maasai at first hand and can appreciate their values and way of life. The world will be poorer without the diversity that such traditional tribes give to the human family.
This is important !"

then he says

"Please Mr January Makamba, I haver many friends in Tanzania and urge you to support the Maasai asperations to retain their land rights in Loliondo. I hear that President Kikwete may be tempted to sell the hunting rights for a one off payment making Tz momentarily richer but future generations so much the poorer. Moving 48,000 Maasai to amke way for commerce would have been typical of a colonial power in the past and surely not appropriate to modern democratic Tanzania.

Very sincerely

Jon Choppin"

What do you think?

there is no hunting in Serengeti. that is a national park. who ever wrote this must repeat homework

nani aliwapa shangazi zake? Mutu mwizi! Muhuni anayeza fanya kila kitu. Wa arabu niwatu wabaya sana

mbuga hizi zinapakana!

Mkuu najua zinapakana ila moja ni Conseevation Area na nyingine ni National Park. Ninachofahamu ni kwamba kwenye Ngorongoro Consevation Area chini ya authority watu wanaruhusiwa kuishi humo ma kufuga. Ima maana wanaruhusiwa kuishi na wanyama na mifugo yao kama ng'ombe, mbuzi na kondoo huku wakipishana na swala, kori bustard, kenge, mijusi, simba, majani ya dawa, nk. Kwa upamde wa National Park ambapo mbuga ya Serengeti inaangukia, ufahamu wangu ni kwamba watu wala wanyama wa kufugwa hawaruhusiwi kuishi kwenye hiyo hifadhi. Ndio maana watu walifuzwa Ihefu ili kuiongezea eneo hifadhi ya Ruaha. Ndio maana nikawa nadhani kwamba Serngeti hakuna Wamasai wanaoishi humo aakiwa wanafuga.

Niko tayari kusahihishwa na kuwekwa kwenye msitari.

there is no hunting in Serengeti. that is a national park. who ever wrote this must repeat homework

Naona kuna kutokuelewana hapa! Kwamba mtu unaweza kwenda kuwinda kwenye NAtional Park! Mimi najua uwimdaji unafanywa kwenye mapori ya akiba na wala siyohifadhi za Taifa. Japo jambo moja linaweza kuchanganya kwamba mapori ya akiba huwa mengi yanapakana na Hifadhi za Taifa.

Naomba wahifadhi wenye ueledi watusaidie kutanzua hili tatizo.

To President Jakaya Kikwete:

As citizens from around the world, we call on you to oppose any attempt to evict Maasai from their traditional land or require them to relocate to make way for foreign hunters. We are counting on you to be a champion for your people and stop any attempt to change their land rights against their will.

At any moment, a big-game hunting corporation could sign a deal which would force up to 48,000 members of Africa’s famous Maasai tribe from their land to make way for wealthy Middle Eastern kings and princes to hunt lions and leopards. Experts say the Tanzanian President’s approval of the deal may be imminent, but if we act now, we can stop this sell-off of the Serengeti.

The last time this same corporation pushed the Maasai off their land to make way for rich hunters, people were beaten by the police, their homes were burnt to a cinder and their livestock died of starvation. But when a press controversy followed, Tanzanian President Kikwete reversed course and returned the Maasai to their land. This time, there hasn’t been a big press controversy yet, but we can change that and force Kikwete to stop the deal if we join our voices now.

If 150,000 of us sign, media outlets in Tanzania and around the world will be blitzed so President Kikwete gets the message to rethink this deadly deal.

Sign the petition now and send to everyone: www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_maasai_a/?bXOjtbb&v=17057

---
With hope and determination,

Sam, Meredith, Luis, Aldine, Diego, Ricken and the rest of the Avaaz team​

Source: wavuti - wavuti

Jf member Kiganyi, I salute!
Just one thing to caution about this thread. When presenting sensitive motions such as this, avoid as much as possible to commit plainly seen simple fallacies. How dare you surrender the Serengeti to the Maasai as their sole heritage? Then you call upon all the Maasai to sign and support the petition. What about me who would wish to support the move but none of my ancestors comes from that line?

However, I am quite sympathetic to my dear land Tanzania for lacking decent citizen (spare me an apology if you are hurt!). Mr. President, the number one citizen, is likely to be behind this dubious deal. Anybody thinking logically is likely to through a querry to ownself that, has the guy acquired foreign citizenship and has therefore planned to quit soon after the sorn-in ceremony of the forthicoming Boss? But why dont we, I am talking of common citizens like me Omonto, raise up our massive voices to inform State House tenants that no sooner they attempt to effect any fake deal than we take into our heels to assemble outside their bedrooms? Why I am asking?

Rumours circulate around the Serengeti that Mr. JK and the former number one citizen of the US (they call him Bush Jr) have errect a luxurious hotel around the Kilimafedha area admist the Serengeti National Park. Suppose the truth reveals in a near future, what will be the Dr.'s excuse if summoned to be a petty-bussiness patner while serving in State House?

Let us not stop at this proposed step (the petition). Let us move a step ahead. Telling all the culprits to vacate from our decent offices first before we offer them a serious penalty during daytime and in public! Basi!!!!

kwani wewe ni mu arabu???? Ha ha pole sana. Arabs rapped our sisters. Where they failed to rape, they just indoctranated them into islamic faith and sexually abused them under the cover of god. Very criminal indeed. This will stop now!!!!

Jana nimekutana na hii issue kwenye twitter. Nikaenda kwenye website hii:

Avaaz - Stop the Serengeti Sell-off

Nime-copy paste sehemu ndogo tu..

"Update: 13 August 2012
Wow! More than 400,000 of us have signed in 24 hours! And President Kikwete's inner circle is starting to react -- a few hours ago, the President's close confidante, Mr. January Makamba MP, tweeted saying he would send our voices to the President himself. Keep up the pressure by signing now and forwarding to others.

Posted: 9 August 2012
At any moment, a big-game hunting corporation could sign a deal which would force up to 48,000 members of Africa’s famous Maasai tribe from their land to make way for wealthy Middle Eastern kings and princes to hunt lions and leopards. Experts say the Tanzanian President’s approval of the deal may be imminent, but if we act now, we can stop this sell-off of the Serengeti.

The last time this same corporation pushed the Maasai off their land to make way for rich hunters, people were beaten by the police, their homes were burnt to a cinder and their livestock died of starvation. But when a press controversy followed, Tanzanian President Kikwete reversed course and returned the Maasai to their land. This time, there hasn’t been a big press controversy yet, but we can change that and force Kikwete to stop the deal if we join our voices now.

If 150,000 of us sign, media outlets in Tanzania and around the world will be blitzed so President Kikwete gets the message to rethink this deadly deal. Sign the petition now and send to everyone."

For more information please click the following link:

Avaaz - Stop the Serengeti Sell-off

Nasikia mwenye madaraka ya kutoa zawadi ya Twiga ni Mhe. Rais pekee. Sasa nani huyo kajipa madaraka hayo ?

Hata ulaya wqpo. Hapa suala ni je wanaruhusiwa kuwemo kwenye hifadhi?

Hata kabla Kikwete hajazaliwa wamasai walikuwa wanaishi huko Serengeti na Ngorongoro, iweje leo hii kwa kuwa mwarab anataka kuwinda ndipo wafukuzwe? Je, ni halali hii kweli?

Hata kabla Kikwete hajazaliwa wamasai walikuwa wanaishi huko Serengeti na Ngorongoro, iweje leo hii kwa kuwa mwarab anataka kuwinda ndipo wafukuzwe? Je, ni halali hii kweli?

Mkuu mimi siungi mkono wananchi kufukuzwa kwenye ardhi yao ya asili kwa ajili ya waaarabu ama wazungu kuja kuwinda. Huo si uwekezaji tunaoutaka. Lazima tubalance mambo; wananchi waendelee kuishi na wawekezaji kama ni lazima basi wasiwaathiri wananchi bali wawawezeshe.

Lakini suala hapa ni Serengeti; je serengeti mbugani kuna wamasai? Je serengeti watu wanaruhusiwa kufanya uwindaji?

Mkuu mimi siungi mkono wananchi kufukuzwa kwenye ardhi yao ya asili kwa ajili ya waaarabu ama wazungu kuja kuwinda. Huo si uwekezaji tunaoutaka. Lazima tubalance mambo; wananchi waendelee kuishi na wawekezaji kama ni lazima basi wasiwaathiri wananchi bali wawawezeshe.

Lakini suala hapa ni Serengeti; je serengeti mbugani kuna wamasai? Je serengeti watu wanaruhusiwa kufanya uwindaji?

Serengeti mbugani wamasai wapo tena wengi tu. Kuna vujiji pale mwanzoni tu wa mbuga, labda wafukuzwe muda huu naandika haya maneno.

Many at times I have mentioned on this issue. Serengeti is a national park and even Ruaha has a major junction road going through it! If we are to assume that the President has some 'personal' interest in the hotel than let us ask ourselves:
how does indeed a 'road' have any direct concern to the prospect of constructing a hotel?

How does the issue of having to sit in a bus for 18-20 hours from Mwanza to Arusha or Kilimanjaro fit into this segment? Are we humans bowing to animals or the maasai? The maasai themselves are now in major businesses all over the country so are we, the humans of the world supposed to ask them to return back to serengeti since we are not building the road and they otherwise are supposed to be primitive as a 'tribe' and should be go back?

Does anyone consider about any benefits of the road apart from saving valuable time and fuel for travelling to Mwanza etc? or how will the visitors gain quick and smooth access to the serengeti contrary to the current dusty and pothole sand roads?

Where is the logic to all this? a road to benefit the president to build a hotel or to increase hunting-which already exists all over the country anyways or are we making preferences for animals whom anyways are prone to make adjustments according to changes in the otherwise global warming conditions and environs?

A road is a road which even small ants/animals gets trampled on either way so why make considerations or rather give priorities for big animals and sacrifice the small ants/animals more? or more importantly why sacrifice the humans who suffer travelling each time for 18-20 hours??

Back
Top Bottom