One-word translation of the word RITUAL into Kiswahili

mpendwa789

JF-Expert Member
Dec 31, 2013
Can anyone please help me with the translation of the word "ritual" into Swahili?

I am thinking in the meaning of religious ritual.

For example, priests in the Old Testament had to wash before offering sacrifices. This necessary act of washing would be called a' ritual'. Washing is also a 'ritua'l performed by Muslims before prayer.

The following Swahili words do not accurately reflect the meaning of the English word 'ritual': ibada; sherehe; adhimisho; hafla.

Is there a one-word equivalent in Swahili or do you have to use an expression like, 'kanuni ya ibada', or 'taritibu ya dini'?

Asante sana!

Mila inaweza kuwa ya kidini au kikabila.

Cᵃʳᵉᵉᵐ ₜₕₑ ᴸᵉᵍᵉⁿD

Ritual ni ibada. Aina za ibada ni nyingi, hata tambiko ni ibada, hata kufunga ndoa ni ibada, kusali n.k kwa sehemu kubwa ritual inasimamia neno tambiko japo kwa tafsiri hasa ni Ibada

Sent using Jamii Forums mobile app

Mila inaweza kuwa ya kidini au kikabila.

Cᵃʳᵉᵉᵐ ₜₕₑ ᴸᵉᵍᵉⁿD
Thank you, but mila (like desturi) translates as 'custom' in English and would not be specific enough for 'ritual'. It seems 'ada' or 'kaida' given by the Chief Editor above comes closest.

You are absolutely RIGHT. Ritual = Ibada

Sent using Jamii Forums mobile app
Thank you, but Ibada would basically translate as 'worship' in English, so it is too general - unless you add more words to give the context. For example, if I say 'It's just a ritual', and you translate this as, 'Ni ibada tu', then you have totally lost the meaning and point of the English sentence in the Swahili translation. It seems 'ada' or 'kaida' (ada au kaida ya dini) given by the Chief Editor above comes closest.

Back
Top Bottom