Oh come on Mr Ole Naiko!

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Oh come on Mr Ole Naiko
Adam Lusekelo
Daily News; Tuesday,February 26, 2008 @20:02

THE Tanzanian Investment Centre (TIC) supremo, Emmanuel Ole Naiko, has been having nightmares. He has suggested that there may be a deliberate and systematic campaign to remove people of Maasai ethnicity from top government positions.

Eti, following the exit of former premier Ted Lowassa over the Richmond corruption scandal. Ethnic cleansing! Strong words, Mr Ole Naiko. But I am sure that Bwana Ole Naiko has only been having hallucinations.

Well, anyone is allowed to hallucinate. It's not against the law. I once hallucinated that I was holding this curvaceous binti who was kissing me like nobody's business and pouring chilled champagne into my glass.

And then-damn! I woke up to reality. Some people dream of being presidents, some to be star footballers, some of being Miss Tanzania. We all hallucinate. But after that, keep it in the head and enjoy it.

Methinks there are vestiges of tribalism in the claims of "ethnic cleansing". How come we haven't heard the Bahaya make noises about the cleansing the ethnic group from top positions in government or companies after Nazir Karamagi resigned from the ministry of energy and minerals!

And how come we haven't heard noises from the Wazaramo. After all, one of their jewel scholars, Dr Ibrahim Msabaha, had to go. So he resigned. Any Mzaramo who has been ethnically cleansed should come to our offices, post-haste and we will forward it to the necessary authorities.

I mean Tanzanians might be poor and we are robbed dizzy by some guys who rule us. But we are not uncouth. We are not that unrefined. We are treated like children by thugs in suits. But we are not a bunch of savages.

I think Mr Ole Naiko is trying do some 'ndogo ndogo' for Ted Lowassa. Read it as a campaign to rehabilitate Ted. Mr Ole Naiko implies that Ted Lowassa is equal to all Maasai! Touch Ted and the entire Maasai ethnic group is vilified? Frankly, that is a load of rubbish! Rubbish and dangerous thinking.

I have lived and travelled in Arusha Region for more than 10 years. I have fond memories and fast friends among the Maasai, both men and 'nditos'. They are a very proud people and when you become their friend, you don't have to look over your shoulders. They cherish the word 'trust'.

But I don't think that any right thinking Tanzanian should stereotype anyone. It is just not right! Is any Muslim wearing a beard and in a kanzu a suicide bomber? Are all Kuryas soldiers? I know one who is a priest!

Ted Lowassa could be a Mmasai. But he definitely is not Wamaasai. Most of them don't even know about the Richmond scandal. There is a lot of Wamaasai out there who are not called Lowassa. Why should any bum want to harm the Maasais?

THE Tanzanian Investment Centre (TIC) supremo, Emmanuel Ole Naiko, has been having nightmares. He has suggested that there may be a deliberate and systematic campaign to remove people of Maasai ethnicity from top government positions.

Kwani waliojiuzulu on Richimonduli, yaani kina Msabaha, na Karamagi, nao ni wammasai? au wanatoka Monduli? Hosea na Mwanyika tunaotaka wajiuzulu nao wanatoka Monduli? Halafu kwani Lowassa naye ni Mmasai? Hivi tunakuwaje na viongozi wenye shallow thinking kama hii kwenye taifa letu?

Back
Top Bottom