Obama urged to cancel Tanzania trip due to gross violations of human rights by Top US diplomats!!

Kabaridi

JF-Expert Member
Nov 15, 2011
US President Barack Obama should cancel his planned visit to Tanzania later this month in protest against the government’s failure to settle a “slavery” case, a Washington Post commentator urged on June 10.

At issue is a US court’s ruling in 2008 that Alan Mzengi, then a diplomat in Tanzania’s Washington embassy, should pay USD1,059,349 in damages to a young Tanzanian woman who worked as a servant in his home.

Washington Post opinion writer Dana Milbank quotes a human-rights lawyer as saying, “An official visit from the US president is a gift that is utterly inappropriate after a Tanzanian government official committed horrifying human rights violations just a few kilometres from the White House.”

The attorney, Martina Vandenberg, added that Obama “would undermine all credibility on trafficking” if he makes his scheduled stop in Tanzania.

The judge in the case found Mr Mzengi to have systematically abused the woman, Zipora Mazengo, who came to the US in 2000 on a visa that diplomats can arrange for prospective nannies.

In 2006, two years after fleeing the Mzengi home, Ms Mazengo received a special US visa given to victims of human trafficking.

Mr Mzengi, who reportedly now serves as an advisor to President Jakaya Kikwete, left the US in 2008 without paying any of the damages the court had ordered.

Ms Mazengo testified that her contract stipulated ,she would be paid USD900 a month and would receive two weeks paid leave per year as well as two days off each week.

But the US court found that Ms Mazengo was forced to work more than 100 hours a week without pay.

“When I made any mistakes, Mrs Mzengi would scream at me,” Ms Mazengo told a US Congress committee in 2007.

“Once when I did not prepare her breakfast, she hit me on the face and sent me out in my summer clothes to stand outside in the snow. She told me that if I complained, ‘blood would fall on the floor.’”

“The Tanzania case appears to be an instance of business interests trumping human rights,” Mr Milbank wrote in the Washington Post.

“The Chinese president visited the East African country a few months ago, and US businesses are eager to get in on the region’s petroleum supplies and other natural resources before China becomes dominant there.”

President Obama has made action against human trafficking “a centrepiece of his foreign policy agenda,” Mr Milbank observed.

He quotes the US president as having declared in a speech last year that “when a woman is locked in a sweatshop, or trapped in a home as a domestic servant, alone and abused and incapable of leaving — that’s slavery.”

Naona huyu bwana mwishowe akisusia tanzania

cc utingo, FJM, edward teller, mzee ng'ong'o

Mr Mzengi, who reportedly now serves as an advisor to President Jakaya Kikwete, left the US in 2008 without paying any of the damages the court had ordered.

JK will he ever learn? When as Minister for foreign affairs there was a rape case involving Saudi top diplomat, he hushed it under the carpet claiming diplomatic immunity where in US a TZ top diplomat was hounded to court in a civil suit. The problem for JK has always been a credibility one. His past attitudes tend to ignore such horrific cases of human abuses. This is why such an evil man of this calibre can still find place in his inner circle. How shameful!

Obama's lip service will come to litmus test once again knowing he is not going to miss this trip of international exploitation of poor nation's cheap raw and labour resources. That is a hidden slavery. If hidden slavery is okay why not overt one like underpaying, maiming and abasing a nanny?

Labda kwa hii issue ya Arusha mabomu but iyo kwa Capitalist sio issue

This article is flawed. The first paragraphs provides that "US President Barack Obama should cancel his planned visit to Tanzania later this month in protest against the government's failure to settle a "slavery" case."

According to the article, a US court ruled in 2008 that Alan Mzengi, then a diplomat in Tanzania's Washington embassy, should pay $1,059,349 in damages to a young Tanzanian woman who worked as a servant in his home.

Who was ordered by the Court to pay the damages? The Government of Tanzania or Alan Msengi?

kwani lile dili la gas kule site limebuma mpaka asije? hapo wahusika watampa hata nusu iliyobaki ya tz baada ya nusu ya kwanza kupewa mchinal ili aje

JK will he ever learn? This is why such an evil man of this calibre can still find place in his inner circle. How shameful!

Obama's lip service will come to litmus test once again knowing he is not going to miss this trip of international exploitation of poor nation's cheap raw and labour resources. That is a hidden slavery. If hidden slavery is okay why not overt one like underpaying, maiming and abasing a nanny?

very true, I do not know how the corrupt normally manage to escape scrutiny and are often embraced and received within their limitless circle. This story has in effect ruined the Obama trip,

I was interested especially in this line;

"When I made any mistakes, Mrs Mzengi would scream at me," Ms Mazengo told a US Congress committee in 2007."

Hii Article imekuwa reposted more than 5 times here in JF, naanza kupata hisia za tukio la Arusha na nyie mamluki wa jirani zetu mnaotutakia mabaya, tutawapata popote mlipo na kuwafunza adabu..

....Mnamshangaa JK kumpa kazi mtu mwenye kesi!!...hii mbona ndogo!!..mtashangaa sana mbona.....Huyu JK kama aliweza kuwasamehe wezi wakubwa wa pesa za EPA atashindwa kumpa kazi nani!....hata wale mapolisi kina Kamhanda kawapandisha vyeo majuzi pamoja na tuhuma walizo nazo.....mnashangaa hili!...huyu ndie Jakaya bana....

If this happens then it will be a big scandal to our nation. Tanzania is slowly emerging a dictatorial country. Undermining democracy and killing of civilians are a few signs.

JK will he ever learn? When as Minister for foreign affairs there was a rape case involving Saudi top diplomat, he hushed it under the carpet claiming diplomatic immunity where in US a TZ top diplomat was hounded to court in a civil suit. The problem for JK has always been a credibility one. His past attitudes tend to ignore such horrific cases of human abuses. This is why such an evil man of this calibre can still find place in his inner circle. How shameful!

Ndege wanaofanana huruka pamoja. That is clearly known! Jk has never been a credity person. He lacks intergrity. He has never been so bright enough to appoint smart guys to assist him in his weaknesses!No wonder he clearly understand that Chinese and US are in all cirumstances standing for economic exploitation but he cheerful invites them and term that as a big success in his leadership.

If this happens then it will be a big scandal to our nation. Tanzania is slowly emerging a dictatorial country. Undermining democracy and killing of civilians are a few signs.

And may be one question may be important. If we see now people being killed in public in a business as usual model, how many have disappeared without public notice! God knows. He shall bring all these people to Justice!

US President Barack Obama should cancel his planned visit to Tanzania later this month in protest against the government's failure to settle a "slavery" case, a Washington Post commentator urged on June 10.

At issue is a US court's ruling in 2008 that Alan Mzengi, then a diplomat in Tanzania's Washington embassy, should pay USD1,059,349 in damages to a young Tanzanian woman who worked as a servant in his home.

Washington Post opinion writer Dana Milbank quotes a human-rights lawyer as saying, "An official visit from the US president is a gift that is utterly inappropriate after a Tanzanian government official committed horrifying human rights violations just a few kilometres from the White House."

The attorney, Martina Vandenberg, added that Obama "would undermine all credibility on trafficking" if he makes his scheduled stop in Tanzania.

The judge in the case found Mr Mzengi to have systematically abused the woman, Zipora Mazengo, who came to the US in 2000 on a visa that diplomats can arrange for prospective nannies.

In 2006, two years after fleeing the Mzengi home, Ms Mazengo received a special US visa given to victims of human trafficking.

Ms Mazengo testified that her contract stipulated ,she would be paid USD900 a month and would receive two weeks paid leave per year as well as two days off each week.

But the US court found that Ms Mazengo was forced to work more than 100 hours a week without pay.

"When I made any mistakes, Mrs Mzengi would scream at me," Ms Mazengo told a US Congress committee in 2007.

"Once when I did not prepare her breakfast, she hit me on the face and sent me out in my summer clothes to stand outside in the snow. She told me that if I complained, ‘blood would fall on the floor.'"

"The Tanzania case appears to be an instance of business interests trumping human rights," Mr Milbank wrote in the Washington Post.

"The Chinese president visited the East African country a few months ago, and US businesses are eager to get in on the region's petroleum supplies and other natural resources before China becomes dominant there."

President Obama has made action against human trafficking "a centrepiece of his foreign policy agenda," Mr Milbank observed.

He quotes the US president as having declared in a speech last year that "when a woman is locked in a sweatshop, or trapped in a home as a domestic servant, alone and abused and incapable of leaving - that's slavery."

It looks seems , why not Obama to decide to cancel his trips ? ccm they need to think !!! as i says CCM is ugly party because people are die without to knows who killing those !!! Tanzania without ccm is possible ,lets be together for making changing in 2015.

Kuliko uandike kimombo kibovu hivi si bora tu uandike kwa Kiswahili??

It looks seems , why not Obama to decide to cancel his trips ? ccm they need to think !!! as i says CCM is ugly party because people are die without to knows who killing those !!! Tanzania without ccm is possible ,lets be together for making changing in 2015.

7 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom