Nyerere fit to be a saint - Museveni

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
1243882645zulu.jpg

Mkapa, Lwanga, Baharagate and Magige after the prayers. Behind them are President Museveni and First Lady Janet
By Raymond Baguma

PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has supported the ongoing campaign in the Catholic Church to have former Tanzanian President Julius Nyerere recognised as a saint.

The campaign to bestow sainthood on Nyerere began on January 26, 2006 when the Vatican accepted a request from the Bishop of Musoma in northern Tanzania to canonise the late leader. The Vatican then granted him the title of ‘Servant of God.'

Museveni yesterday praised Nyerere for uniting the different religious groups in Tanzania and advancing Swahili as a common language to unite the ethnically diverse country. Today, Tanzania is the most peaceful country in Africa with no civil wars, Museveni observed.

He was speaking during special prayers, held at Catholic Martyrs' shrine in Namugongo, for the beatification of the late Mwalimu.

Mass was celebrated by the Archbishop of Kampala, Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, and Bishop Emeritus Edward Baharagate. Former Tanzanian president Benjamin Mkapa was among the dignitaries present. The Nyerere family was led by the widow, Maria Gabriel Magige.

The family and many Tanzanians donned scarves with Kiswahili messages calling for Nyerere's canonisation. They also wore uniform wrappers. The choir from Marian Faith Healing Centre in Dar-es-Salaam sang Kiswahili hymns.

After mass, Museveni narrated his first meeting with the former leader when he was still a student at Dar-es-Salaam University in 1968. "He was blessed with extraordinary wisdom and compassion for the oppressed. He loved freedom and unity for all people, and he was a fearless freedom fighter."

He said during the 1970s, Nyerere supported freedom movements in Vietnam, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Angola, Namibia as well as Uganda. Museveni also pointed out that Nyerere's role was instrumental in the restoration of peace in Burundi.

"He was like the Ugandan martyrs who stood for truth against sin; even at the expense of their lives. I join those who are praying for the canonisation of Mwalimu as a saint. He was not only a freedom fighter, he was also a man of God."

Mkapa, who was Tanzania's third President, praised the fact that Nyerere always remained humble. "I stayed with him from 1966 until his passing away. He was a leader of the independence struggle. He abhorred being worshiped. He knew he was human and lived like any other being."

Prayers for Nyerere's canonisation, organised by the widow, have been conducted at the Namugongo shrine since 2007.

Hundreds of Tanzanian, Kenyan and Rwandan pilgrims are currently in the country to commemorate Uganda Martyrs' Day, celebrated annually on June 3.

-----------------

Museveni: Nyerere was my Hero - Maneno ya Museven leo kutoka Uganda

I was the Chief Guest, this afternoon, at the Mass organised at the Uganda Matyrs' Shrine Namugongo, in memory of the former President of Tanzania for his outstanding contribution to Tanzania and to Africa.

The late Mwalimu was a Pan-Africanist who loved God and mankind. He united the people of Tanzania and helped liberate most African countries like Zimbabwe, Namibia, Angola, South Africa and Uganda.

I salute his contribution to our freedom struggle. If Nyerere had not helped us get rid of Idi Amin's regime, Uganda would not have contributed to the restoration of peace and security in other African countries like in Burundi, the Congo, Somalia, Rwanda and Kenya among others.

I worked with Mwalimu Nyerere for a long time and he indeed deserves to qualify as a Saint. He did not only make a big contribution to the liberation of African countries but also introduced universal education in Tanzania.

While people in some countries were engaged in sectarian conflicts, along religious and tribal leanings, Mwalimu Nyerere united the people of his country.

I thank Maama Maria Nyerere for choosing the 1st day of the month of June, two days before Matyrs' Day, to pray in Uganda for the cause of the beatification and eventual canonization of her late husband.

I look forward to hosting African leaders who used to work with the late Mwalimu at next year's prayers. The leaders include President Eduardo dos Santos of Angola, former President Sam Nujoma of Namibia and Alberto Chissano of Mozambique.

I have noted that there are many more pilgrims to Namugongo from Uganda and the region and will ensure our capacity is increased by boosting accommodation facilities.

10373788_459992860802810_8108456306179709626_n.jpg

10439482_459992770802819_6552614485965019251_n.jpg

10411812_459992927469470_7093164590520221932_n.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/PresidentYoweriKagutaMuseveni

I would like to hear what Ganesh has to say about this. I think Nyerere's canonization, far from elevating him,would cheapen his legacy as a fraudulently choreographed charade rather than the sometimes stellar public service he is distinguished for.

I would like to hear what Ganesh has to say about this. I think Nyerere's canonization, far from elevating him,would cheapen his legacy as a fraudulently choreographed charade rather than the sometimes stellar public service he is distinguished for.

Dang dude!....hivi kwani usingetumia simple english?..yooh ungeeleweka vizuri tuu....garlie!....hebu na wewe acha ku-spend muda wako wote ku-kremisha oxford dictionary .....maneno mengine hata haya-make sense sasa wooooow!...."as Flava flav would have said"....

Dang dude!....hivi kwani usingetumia simple english?..yooh ungeeleweka vizuri tuu....garlie!....hebu na wewe acha ku-spend muda wako wote ku-kremisha oxford dictionary .....maneno mengine hata haya-make sense sasa wooooow!...."as Flava flav would have said"....

Dada,

Heshima mbele, hapa kuna watu wanapenda artful, metaphor-laden, precise, articulate, simile rich expression.

Tatizo letu ni nini? Tuna tatizo la kiingereza as a nation, kiasi kwamba mtu akiandika kiingereza cha kawaida tu - ambacho kipo standard na people the world over will see nothing remarkable about it- sisi tunamuona mtu kama anataka sifa, katumia kiingereza kigumu etc. Mimi mwenyewe najifunza kiingereza, nitaandikaje kiingereza kigumu?

Trust me, hakuna hata chembe ya kiingereza kigumu hapo, kinachotokea ni kwamba standards zetu ziko chini sana, kiasi kwamba mtu akiandika kiingereza standard kama hapo juu -I did not even get into the Churchillian mode, let alone the Dickensian diction bombasts- tunamuona tofautiiii.

Wanasema, if you think I am speaking too fast, you are probably listening too slow.

Kama unafikiri hiki kiingereza ni kigumu, probably unahitaji ku build up vocab na kujifunza zaidi, which is one point of this bulletin board by the way, and you would do well to take advantage of this instead of shying away with MAimuna like "Anasema kiingereza kigumu, nimesema Maimuna!" :)

Rather than dumb down our standards by asking me to dumb down my pretty ordinary English, I am asking you to elevate our collective standards by aspiring to master this crucial language much better.

After all, aren't we supposed to be the home of great minds, why settle for any standards but the best?

Last edited:
Dada,

Heshima mbele, hapa kuna watu wanapenda artful, precise, rich expression.

Tatizo letu ni nini? Tuna tatizo la kiingereza as a nation, kiasi kwamba mtu akiandika kiingereza cha kawaida tu - ambacho kipo standard na people the world over will see nothing remarkable about it- sisi tunamuona mtu kama anataka sifa, katumia kiingereza kigumu etc. Mimi mwenyewe najifunza kiingereza, nitaandikaje kiingereza kigumu?

Trust me, hakuna hata chembe ya kiingereza kigumu hapo, kinachotokea ni kwamba standards zetu ziko chini sana, kiasi kwamba mtu akiandika kiingereza standard kama hapo juu -I did not even get into the Churchillian mode, let alone the Dickensian diction bombasts- tunamuona tofautiiii.

Wanasema, if you think I am speaking too fast, you are probably listening too slow.

Kama unafikiri hiki kiingereza ni kigumu, probably unahitaji ku build up vocab na kujifunza zaidi, which is one point of this bulletin board by the way, and you would do well to take advantage of this instead of shying away with MAimuna like "Anasema kiingereza kigumu, nimesema Maimuna!" :)

See now umeongea vizuri!...hahahaha....i guess messge imekufikia....kaka yangu Bluray!.....Ila speech yako ilikuwa ndefu

usimind sana hivi ni vitu vidogo sana.......

Anyways carry on na hoja ya nyerere fits to be a saint.....

hii kali kwa lipi...hawakawii kusema alitumwa na roho mtakatifu..mhhhh au yumo nae kwenye utrinity..angalieni msije mkawa kama mabaniani kila kitu mungu...duh

Dada,

Heshima mbele, hapa kuna watu wanapenda artful, precise, rich expression.

Rather than dumb down our standards by asking me to dumb down my pretty ordinary English, I am asking you to elevate our collective standards by aspiring to master this crucial language much better.

After all, aren't we supposed to be the home of great minds, why settle for any standards but the best?

Tuwe na tatizo la Kiingereza kwani ni lugha ya taifa? Wewe wacha kutudanganya, eti ninatumia si kiingereza kigumu. Nenda kacheze na watoto wa spelling bee kama unataka kutumia kiingereza chako cha dictionary....hahahaha
The point of this forum ni ku-communicate. Na kama unajua, communication is a two-way process. Wewe kuandika bila msomaji kuelewa huja-communicate chochote ndugu yangu. Wewe umeshasikia haya maneno yako kama 'charade' linatumika katika ordinary everyday conversation? Katika maisha yangu yote ya ku-interact na lunga ya kiingereza sijawahi kusikia.

Museveni kasahau kusema kuw our saint to be Nyerere alikuwa mstaari wa mbele kuunga mkoni kuvunjika kwa shrikisho la Nigeria, pale aliposhabikia na kuunga mkono kujitenga kwa jimbo la Biafra katika vita vya wenyewe kwa wenye.
"mwenye heri" wakati huo huo alishabikia umoja wa Afrika na wakati huo huo alishabikia kuvunjika umoja wa taifa la Nigeria.

Ni ulimmbukeni kutumia maneno magumu ya Kiingereza hapa JF!

Angalia Blair na Brown na hata Obama wanatumia Kiingereza watu wanaelewa!

Mtu genius ni yule anayeweza kucommunite ktk lugha inayoeleweka kwa urahisi!

Pia angalia JF audience majority ni nani!

Kuna haja gani kutumia misamiati ya ajabu2 hadi mtu utafute kamusi?

As great as Nyerere was I don't think he should be called a "saint". Sidhani kama kuna mtu yoyote anastahili kupewa utakatifu na binadamu wenzie kwanu utakatifu mtu hupewa na Mungu. Mna wapa watu utakatifu kumbe Mungu mwenyewe anajua dhambi zao. Halafu one of the processes for one becoming a saint is if two people pray for you to ask God for help on your behalf then if the prayer is answered then that part of the process is complete. Do they really believe a dead ordinary man can ask God for something on your behalf? And why not Go straight to God instead of using a "middle" man?

ni ulimmbukeni kutumia maneno magumu ya kiingereza hapa jf!

Angalia blair na brown na hata obama wanatumia kiingereza watu wanaelewa!

Mtu genius ni yule anayeweza kucommunite ktk lugha inayoeleweka kwa urahisi!

Pia angalia jf audience majority ni nani!

Kuna haja gani kutumia misamiati ya ajabu2 hadi mtu utafute kamusi?

lalamiko lako halina msingi kama hujui kiingereza kasome ujue ...la huwezi nyamaza watu waendelee na mada.

Haya nipe wasifu wa lugha niliotumia.

Tuwe na tatizo la Kiingereza kwani ni lugha ya taifa? Wewe wacha kutudanganya, eti ninatumia si kiingereza kigumu. Nenda kacheze na watoto wa spelling bee kama unataka kutumia kiingereza chako cha dictionary....hahahaha
The point of this forum ni ku-communicate. Na kama unajua, communication is a two-way process. Wewe kuandika bila msomaji kuelewa huja-communicate chochote ndugu yangu. Wewe umeshasikia haya maneno yako kama 'charade' linatumika katika ordinary everyday conversation? Katika maisha yangu yote ya ku-interact na lunga ya kiingereza sijawahi kusikia.

Angalia huyu naye anatetea uzembe, yupo katika cocoon la kukumbatia ujinga kwa kutumia kisingizio cha "siyo lugha ya taifa".

Hata hajui kama kiingereza ni lugha rasmi Tanzania masikini! Halafu huyu atakuja kuomba kazi downtown Dare-es-salaam kwenye ofisi cosmopolitan, probably zinazodeal na watu wa kimataifa ambao hawajui Kiswahili, akinyimwa kazi akapewa Mkenya anayejua Kiingereza vizuri sijui tutalalamika?

Ally Hassan Mwinyi, Mwinyi wa pwani, gwiji wa Kiswahili, rais mstaafu na walii kwa watu waliomfuatilia alielewa umuhimu wa Kiingereza licha ya kuwa muumini wa Kiswahili. Alisema "Kiingereza ni Kiswahili cha dunia" akimaanisha kwamba kadiri Kiswahili kilivyo muhimu kwa kuwaunganisha watu wengi kama sio wote wa Tanzania, Kiingereza kina umuhimu huo huo kwa kuwaunganisha watu wengi wa dunia.

Kuna watu wanakuja katika forum hii hawajui Kiswahili, na wanafurahi sana wanapoona kuna Watanzania wanaandika kiingereza standard, hicho mnachokisema kwamba ni kigumu kutokana na kuzoea standards zilizo so low they barely exist!

Sasa wewe unasoma Alasiri utasikia wapi neno kama "charade" linatumika kila siku, nenda soma New York Times na Wshington Post, utaona mineno ya kuisema, siyo "charade"

Kama tunataka kuendelea inabidi tujue kuchukua challenges, tusitake kukaa tu kwenye comfort zone.

Kama hupendi ninavyoandika usisome, kuna watu kibao wana uwezo mzuri tu, wengine kunipita mimi, wanaweza kufurahia metaphors, similes, vocabulary na vionjo vingine vya lugha. Kukataza mimi kutumia vionjo hivi ni sawa na uwe umeenda kwenye sherehe watu wanakula vyakula vya kila aina, vingine viko plain, vingine vina spices, sasa kwa sababu wewe hupendi spices unataka hivi vyenye spices vitolewe vibaki vile plain tu, kwa sababu wewe hupendi.Hatuiendi hivyo, mimi nina haki ya kujieleza ninavyopenda na kama huwezi kunifuatilia achana nami, wengine watafurahia, kama hupendi cahakula chenye spices kuna wenyewe watakula.

Kung'ang'ania watu waandike kama unavyotaka wewe kunaonyesha mgando wa mawazo.For all I care one could wriet in ancient latin in here, as long as it's OK with them and some communication is taking place.

Stop the dumbing down of this supposed "Home of Great Thinkers"

Great thinkers wanaogopa vocab?

Nyenyere aliiharibu nchi na kufanya watanzania wajinga na kuua viwanda na propaganda nyingi ambazo zimesababisha inchi kuwa maskini kupita kiasi...kama sikosei tanzania ipo kwenye kumi bora masikini duniani.

lalamiko lako halina msingi kama hujui kiingereza kasome ujue ...la huwezi nyamaza watu waendelee na mada.

Haya nipe wasifu wa lugha niliotumia.

OBL,

Hawa tatizo lao hata ukitumia Kiswahili fasaha watakuambia unatumia kiswahili kigumu vile vile, wanataka kila kitu kiwe dumbed down.

No body is asking you to dumb down anything.

Wrong, there is a deliberate and consistent effort to discourage artful, vocabulary rich, metaphor loaded language

Just admit you are trying to make your points more educated then they actually are.

This says more about your shallow perception than my supposedly attempts at greatness.No cosmetic can cover for depth and content. No amount of spices can cover for a meal

Some sentences your just force big words on them sometimes not making any sense.
What makes sense to you, may not make sense to me and vice versa.If you cannot acknowledge this, you are a tyrant in the making and cannot learn harmonic coexistence.

If you really want to elevate your English learn to express yourself in a simple and clear way.

There are those who prefer simple and clear, and others who prefer rich and still clear.There is no reason why rich language should not be clear to the active mind.Problem is we are dealing with a lot of lazy minds, not in the least troubled with preciseness, mental image oriented language, similes, metaphors, analogies, synonims etc.So when one comes along and artfuly employ these vehicles of language, one is touted as embracing all kinds of elitism and a poor communicator.I refuse to bow to forces of mediocrity.

Hata vituo vya kisomi kama CNN vina tumia lugha ambayo any standard speaker English would understand.

Who said I was trying to be CNN? My posts are like the Catholic Church, the Church is not for everybody, if you are not with it, skip it.If you are not with my style, skip my posts.

Even the likes of the Doha debate forum use English most would easily follow. This need of yours to sound philosophical and poetic all the time is useless in a place like JF. If many don't understand what you are saying then what is the point of sending your message?

They should take it as a challenge to elevate their linguistic abilities.JF can be their exercising utility.

I would really like to see the thread progressing on the main issue, Nyerere's canonization, rather than this side issue of English.

3 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom