Noise Pollution?

Deshbhakt

JF-Expert Member
Jan 22, 2008
To all me fellow Members,

Sometime on 25th October 2014, the following article appeared in The Citizen newspapers:

By Bernard James,The Citizen Reporter Dar es Salaam.

Environment minister Dr Binilith Mahenge has signed into law regulations that seek to control noise and vibration levels whose excess has become a major public nuisance in Dar es Salaam and other urban centres in the country.

Minister Mahenge confirmed yesterday to have endorsed the regulations prepared by the National Environment Council (NEMC) and the Tanzania Bureau of Standards (TBS) but has remained unworkable nearly a decade after they were crafted. The minister will unveil the regulations today at the launch of the new NEMC Board.

This latest move comes two months after The Citizen on Sunday reported extensively on how noise pollution has exposed residents of Dar es Salaam and other major cities to untold distress, physical and mental health risks.

The minister later promised late in October to put an end to noise pollution which he conceded has risen to unprecedented levels.

"I signed the regulations on Thursday. The document has been taken to the Attorney General's office for gazetting. This is a major development in taming noise pollution," he told The Citizenon phone.

The regulations, among other things, set maximum volume in nightclubs and bars, public rallies, churches, mosques, industrial zones and even promotional road shows.

The Citizen on Sunday investigation indicated that mushrooming churches in residential areas, which use powerful public address systems during day and night prayers, have become a major source of distress for urbanites.

NEMC has recently told The Citizen that complaints to do with noise pollution coming from prayers, especially at night, top the list of complaints filed with the agency.

City residents have told this paper that noise brought about by loud and pounding music in bars, shops, cars, dance halls, and live promotional road shows was giving them difficult times.

Lack of the regulations had made the situation even worse as it is virtually impossible to implement the Environment Act 2004 without the regulations.

Many city residents irritated by the state of affairs are accusing the authorities of either ignoring the problem or doing little to end the menace.

The problem of noise pollution is not limited to Dar es Salaam. Reports from Mwanza, Iringa, Musoma, Tabora and Morogoro and many other urban centres suggest that residents have a difficult time coming to terms with the problem.

They accuse owners of bars, dance halls and nightclubs in residential areas of breaking the law--and getting away with it.

The new regulations will be enforced by NEMC, local government authorities and the police. It will specify the role of each in enforcing the law.

My questions are:

1. Has this indeed been effected?
2. Has anyone among us achieved any success through their personal experiences since this Act was signed?

Deshbhakt

I don't know if this law has been effected or is being applied BUT I doubt it very much if it can be implemented effectively in Tanzania. There are many reasons (moving parts) why this law will be difficult to implement:

1. Technical.
The threshold levels of decibels at the source and at the complaining party can be debatable and easy to fudge, let alone having enough officers/equipment to patrol. Most of the time it will depend on complaints from citizens.

2. Social.
Most of these offending parties (night clubs, places of worship, etc.,) are legitimate business with legal permits to carry out their activities. Short of zoning them out (banishing them to the extreme city limits) and create a social uproar, it will be hard to tell a night club to whisper their stage music.

3. Law enforcement.
With rampant corruption and corrupt officials, this exercise can be an uphill struggle. It will be akin to expecting our traffic police to bring down the carnage in our roads.

Anyway, the short answer to both of your questions is I DON'T KNOW. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it is hard to fathom why we enact laws and cannot administer them despite a dire need to implement them?Even if you look at the NEMC's website there is no mention of the same (apart from the website being outdated).In the meantime we continue to suffer due various noises related aspects through out the country..

Sometimes it is hard to fathom why we enact laws and cannot administer them despite a dire need to implement them?Even if you look at the NEMC's website there is no mention of the same (apart from the website being outdated).In the meantime we continue to suffer due various noises related aspects through out the country..

I agree.

My neighbor here broils fish every day. The smell of the fish wafts into my house, and it is an unpleasant smell.

I could call it "odor pollution" as I have heard such things called before. But that is a bit petty, no? We all live in a community and each has his own lifestyle, goals, personality. Live and let live is a good principle to live by. :)

Deshbhakt

I don't know if this law has been effected or is being applied BUT I doubt it very much if it can be implemented effectively in Tanzania. There are many reasons (moving parts) why this law will be difficult to implement:

1. Technical.
The threshold levels of decibels at the source and at the complaining party can be debatable and easy to fudge, let alone having enough officers/equipment to patrol. Most of the time it will depend on complaints from citizens.

2. Social.
Most of these offending parties (night clubs, places of worship, etc.,) are legitimate business with legal permits to carry out their activities. Short of zoning them out (banishing them to the extreme city limits) and create a social uproar, it will be hard to tell a night club to whisper their stage music.

3. Law enforcement.
With rampant corruption and corrupt officials, this exercise can be an uphill struggle. It will be akin to expecting our traffic police to bring down the carnage in our roads.

Anyway, the short answer to both of your questions is I DON'T KNOW. Sorry.

Is there a swahili version for this law? Can anyone help?

Kariakoo...maeneo ya msimbazi karibu na Bank ya NMB kuna Noise pollution ya hatari sana.

Back
Top Bottom