Nobel-winning biologist apologizes for remarks about blacks

mkama

Oct 19, 2007
Jamani hebu muoneni huyu bwana Watson anvyojichanganya.

Jim Watson told a newspaper he was "gloomy about the prospect of Africa"

Watson: I can't understand how I could have said what I'm quoted as having said

Watson won the Nobel prize in 1962

Scientist has made controversial remarks in the past

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Nobel laureate biologist Jim Watson apologized "unreservedly" Thursday for stating that black people were not as intelligent as whites, saying he was "mortified" by the comments attributed to him.

Jim Watson won the 1962 Nobel Prize for his part in discovering the structure of DNA.

"I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said," Watson said during an appearance at the Royal Society in London.

"I can certainly understand why people, reading those words, have reacted in the ways that they have."

"To all those who have drawn the inference from my words that Africa, as a continent, is somehow genetically inferior, I can only apologize unreservedly. That is not what I meant. More importantly from my point of view, there is no scientific basis for such a belief," he said.

Watson, 79, an American who won the 1962 Nobel prize for his role in the discovery of the double-helix structure of DNA, told the Sunday Times he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says not really."

Watson also asserted there was no reason to believe different races separated by geography should have evolved identically, and he said that while he hoped everyone was equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this is not true."

His comments were met with an avalanche of criticism, and London's Science Museum canceled Watson's planned Friday appearance, saying his remarks had "gone beyond the point of acceptable debate."

The British government's skills minister, David Lammy, who is black, called the comments "deeply offensive."

"It is a shame that a man with a record of scientific distinction should see his work overshadowed by his own irrational prejudices," Lammy said.

Watson's remarks to the Sunday Times were the latest in a number of controversial comments from the eminent biologist.

In 1997, Britain's Sunday Telegraph quoted Watson as saying that if a gene for homosexuality were isolated, women who find that their unborn child has the gene should be allowed to have an abortion.

During a lecture tour in 2000, he suggested there might be links between a person's weight and their level of ambition and between skin color and sexual prowess.

"That's why you have Latin lovers," he said, according to The Associated Press, which cited people who attended the lecture. "You've never heard of an English lover. Only an English patient."

And in a British TV documentary that aired in 2003, Watson suggested stupidity was a genetic disease that should be treated.

CNN's Alphonso van Marsh contributed to this report

This Man I think has mental returdation, wamwangilie vizuri. On the other side,Is he not compaigning against One of the presidential candidate in the US? lakini panapofuka Moshi...... nadhani kuna kitu fishing underground.... Just speculations

DNA pioneer James Watson is blacker than he thought

liz_252586a.gif

The genome of James Watson

Jonathan Leake said:

JAMES WATSON, the DNA pioneer who claimed Africans are less intelligent than whites, has been found to have 16 times more genes of black origin than the average white European.
An analysis of his genome shows that 16% of his genes are likely to have come from a black ancestor of African descent. By contrast, most people of European descent would have no more than 1%.

The study was made possible when he allowed his genome - the map of all his genes - to be published on the internet in the interests of science. “This level is what you would expect in someone who had a great-grandparent who was African,” said Kari Stefansson of deCODE Genetics, whose company carried out the analysis. “It was very surprising to get this result for Jim.”
Watson won the Nobel prize, with Francis Crick and Maurice Wilkins, after working out the structure of DNA in 1953. However, he provoked an outcry earlier this year when he suggested black people were genetically less intelligent than whites.

This weekend his critics savoured the wry twist of fate. Sir John Sulston, the Nobel laureate who helped lead the consortium that decoded the human genome, said the discovery was ironic in view of Watson’s opinions on race. “I never did agree with Watson’s remarks,” he said. “We do not understand enough about intelligence to generalise about race.”

The backlash against Watson forced him to step down as chancellor of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York state, after 39 years at the helm. He had said he was “inherently gloomy about the prospects for Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really”.
The analysis by deCODE Genetics, an Icelandic company, also shows a further 9% of Watson’s genes are likely to have come from an ancestor of Asian descent. Watson was not available for comment.

James Watson: genetic risk to diseases compared with other people of European ancestry
- Age-related macular degeneration (blindness) - 20% less than average
- Asthma - 31% less than average
- Breast cancer - 1.45 times greater than average
- Coeliac disease - 66% less than average
- Colon (bowel) cancer - 16% greater than average
- Glaucoma - 1.42 rimes greater than average
- Inflammatory bowel disease - 31% less than average
- Multiple sclerosis - 29% greater than average
- Heart attack - 33% less than average
- Obesity - 5% greater than average
- Prostate cancer - 1.02 times greater than average
- Psoriasis - 31% less than average
- Restless leg - 29% less than average
- Rheumatoid arthritis - 20% greater than average
- Type 1 diabetes - 65% less than average
- Type 2 diabetes - 33% greater than average

Results are calculated by comparing one person's genetic sequence to the sequences of other participants in studies published in world literature on genetic risk for disease

Unajuta atatoa excuse gani?

Element za kiafrika uli overpower uzungu at that time ndio maana akafanya utumbo huo but now uzungu umerudi ndio maana kaapologise as wazungu does.

Europeans are more intelligent than Africans as he thinks they are. There are so many factors which have made Africa and Europe to differ in development. Development has wider meaning. But our final downfall is that time when Europe was seaking resources for its development after several attempts of its industrial development when they came to find out that Africa had its own poor but developing indurstries. What they did was to make sure they discourage our local industries and promot theirs by taking our resources. We as Africa nations are now turning back t that stage this is not due to our low intelligence but economic powers. If this guy wanted to get facts let us have an IQ test with him he will get surprised when seing his score will be below avarage.

Back
Top Bottom