"No negro dialect"

Nyani Ngabu

Platinum Member
May 15, 2006
Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

By PHILIP ELLIOT, Associated Press Writer Philip Elliot, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON –

The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid and are quoted in a yet-to-be-released book about the campaign.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." Obama is the nation's first African-American president.

"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African-Americans for my improper comments," Reid said in a statement released after the excerpts were first reported on the Web site of The Atlantic.

"I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda."

Reid remained neutral during the bitter Democratic primary that became a marathon contest between Obama and then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom Obama tapped as the United States' top diplomat after the election.

Reid's comments are included in the book, obtained Saturday by The Associated Press and set to be published on Monday. "Game Change" was written by Time Magazine's Mark Halperin and New York magazine's John Heilemann.

The book also says Reid urged Obama to run, perceiving the first-term senator's impatience.

"You're not going to go anyplace here," Reid told Obama of the Senate. "I know that you don't like it, doing what you're doing."

In another section, aides to Republican nominee John McCain described the difficulties they faced with their vice presidential pick, then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Steve Schmidt, a senior member of Sen. John McCain's presidential team, is quoted telling Palin's foreign policy tutors: "You guys have a lot of work to do. She doesn't know anything."

The authors also quote Obama's initial reaction to McCain's selection of a little-known governor: "Wow. Well, I guess she's change."
Vice presidential nominee Joe Biden was direct. "Who's Sarah Palin?" the book quotes the then-senator as asking as they left the nominating convention in Denver.

Reid, facing a tough 2010 re-election bid, needs the White House's help if he wants to keep his seat. Obama's administration has dispatched officials on dozens of trips to buoy his bid and Obama has raised money for his campaign.

Recognizing the threat, Reid's apologies also played to his home state: "Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues."

Even before his ill-considered remarks were reported, a new survey released Saturday by the Las Vegas Review Journal showed him continuing to earn poor polling numbers. In the poll, by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, Reid trailed former state Republican party chairwoman Sue Lowden by a 10 percentage points, 50 percent to 40 percent, and also lagging behind two other opponents.

More than half of Nevadans had an unfavorable opinion of Reid. Just 33 percent of respondents held a favorable opinion.

My Take:
Wow...hawa ma Republicans noma sana aisee. Ni ma racist sana haya majamaa.

Wow...hawa ma Republican noma sana aisee. Ni ma racist sana haya majamaa. Ona jinsi Harry Reid anavyomzungumzia Obama....

By PHILIP ELLIOT, Associated Press Writer Philip Elliot, Associated Press Writer Sat Jan 9, 2:59 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid and are quoted in a yet-to-be-released book about the campaign.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." Obama is the nation's first African-American president.

"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African-Americans for my improper comments," Reid said in a statement released after the excerpts were first reported on the Web site of The Atlantic.

"I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda."

Reid remained neutral during the bitter Democratic primary that became a marathon contest between Obama and then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom Obama tapped as the United States' top diplomat after the election.

Reid's comments are included in the book, obtained Saturday by The Associated Press and set to be published on Monday. "Game Change" was written by Time Magazine's Mark Halperin and New York magazine's John Heilemann.

The book also says Reid urged Obama to run, perceiving the first-term senator's impatience.

"You're not going to go anyplace here," Reid told Obama of the Senate. "I know that you don't like it, doing what you're doing."

In another section, aides to Republican nominee John McCain described the difficulties they faced with their vice presidential pick, then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Steve Schmidt, a senior member of Sen. John McCain's presidential team, is quoted telling Palin's foreign policy tutors: "You guys have a lot of work to do. She doesn't know anything."

The authors also quote Obama's initial reaction to McCain's selection of a little-known governor: "Wow. Well, I guess she's change."
Vice presidential nominee Joe Biden was direct. "Who's Sarah Palin?" the book quotes the then-senator as asking as they left the nominating convention in Denver.

Reid, facing a tough 2010 re-election bid, needs the White House's help if he wants to keep his seat. Obama's administration has dispatched officials on dozens of trips to buoy his bid and Obama has raised money for his campaign.

Recognizing the threat, Reid's apologies also played to his home state: "Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues."

Even before his ill-considered remarks were reported, a new survey released Saturday by the Las Vegas Review Journal showed him continuing to earn poor polling numbers. In the poll, by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, Reid trailed former state Republican party chairwoman Sue Lowden by a 10 percentage points, 50 percent to 40 percent, and also lagging behind two other opponents.

More than half of Nevadans had an unfavorable opinion of Reid. Just 33 percent of respondents held a favorable opinion.

Mbona Reid ni DEMOCRAT mkuu, ukweli unabaki palepale kuwa watu weupe wote regardless party affiliation wanamtazamo fulani kwa watu weusi. Sema Republican wengi wameshindwa kujizuia na kutoa hisia zao hadharani kupitia TEA PARTY na TALK SHOWS. It is unfortunate for REID kuwa aliyoyasema private yametolewa hadharani hasa katika kipindi hiki cha kuelekea kupitia bima ya afya na kuelekea uchaguzi wa Nov.

Mbona Reid ni DEMOCRAT mkuu, ukweli unabaki palepale kuwa watu weupe wote regardless party affiliation wanamtazamo fulani kwa watu weusi. Sema Republican wengi wameshindwa kujizuia na kutoa hisia zao hadharani kupitia TEA PARTY na TALK SHOWS. It is unfortunate for REID kuwa aliyoyasema private yametolewa hadharani hasa katika kipindi hiki cha kuelekea kupitia bima ya afya na kuelekea uchaguzi wa Nov.

Mmmmhhh...mimi siku zote najua Democrats sio wabaguzi na ndio maana wanugu wengi wanawapigia kura kila siku.

Sasa bora yupi, yule anayeweka hisia zake hadharani au yule anayezificha?

By PHILIP ELLIOT, Associated Press Writer Philip Elliot, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON –

The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid and are quoted in a yet-to-be-released book about the campaign.

Omega,

acha utani mkuu. Angalia hapo nipo-highlight in blue.

Mmmmhhh...mimi siku zote najua Democrats sio wabaguzi na ndio maana wanugu wengi wanawapigia kura kila siku.

Sasa bora yupi, yule anayeweka hisia zake hadharani au yule anayezificha?

Mtu mweupe ndivyo alivyo bro and such comments happen especially in
the heat of political campaigns....na ndio maana anaomba samahani sasa.
Such is life.

Mtu mweupe ndivyo alivyo bro and such comments happen especially in
the heat of political campaigns....na ndio maana anaomba samahani sasa.
Such is life.

Mtu mweupe ndivyo alivyo? Kwa hiyo na marehemu mama yake Obama naye ndivyo alivyokuwa?

Na unadhani angekuwa aliyesema hivyo ni Republican angesalimika? Say McCain ndio angekuwa amesema hivyo....don't you think Al Sharpton would be outside of his office picketing?

Is there a double standard? Trent Lott said some things back in '02 or '03 and he was forced out. What Reid said is even worse....what the hell is a "negro dialect"....I find this to be more offensive than what Sen. Lott said but I can almost guarantee you nothing will come out of it. The mainstream media will shush...you won't hear much of it.

Hahaha Mkuu umeniacha hoi, Inabidi tuinamishe vichwa tu. Maana jinsi heading ilivyofanyiwa kazi haraka naamini kweli wewe ni "OMERA'S FAN"

Heading imefanyiwa kazi gani? Maana mimi sioni tofauti yoyote...

Wote wako hivyo wakuu, tatizo ni ngozi hapo wala sio chama....Kwani si hata huyo Democratic Golden Boy Bill Clinton, si pia nae katoa dongo lake...."Miaka michache tu iliyopita huyu jamaa (Obama) angekuwa anatuletea kahawa hapa"......:D:D

Wote wako hivyo wakuu, tatizo ni ngozi hapo wala sio chama....Kwani si hata huyo Democratic Golden Boy Bill Clinton, si pia nae katoa dongo lake...."Miaka michache tu iliyopita huyu jamaa (Obama) angekuwa anatuletea kahawa hapa"......:D:D

Kwa hiyo hata wale wazungu wa Iowa, Oregon, Wisconsin, Minnesota n.k. waliompigia kura Obama nao wako hivyo hivyo? I guess na wao walikuwa wanawaza kama Reid...

But come to think of it, irregardless of how ignorant or insensitive Reid's comments were, is he really wrong or was he just keeping it one hundrend? I mean, let's face it, had Obama been as dark as Flava Flav, do y'all really think he'd been elected? I don't think so...

Oh really? mimi siku zote nadhani ma racist wote ni Republican. Hapana bana..huyu hawezi kuwa Democrat....Democrats hawako hivyo.....

Ah times and the changing times we live in please do remember when Obama was sworn in he used the bible of Pres Lincolin (a republican) America has fought many a war but only one civil war, what was the main issue then between the north and south.......need not say much cos we know whose plight was being fought over...back then twas them democrats who wanted the status quo be the same....fast forward to the present times .........funny the times we live in CHANGE in deed for truly change did come to USA.

Nilijua tu...wanywa kool-aid wakishikwa pabaya wananywea na rangi zao za kweli za kinafiki zinachomoza. Hii iko manifested na mwitikio wa mada hii. Kama angekuwa ni Republican ndiye aliyesema hayo aliyosema Reid angegombaniwa kama mpira wa kona humu. Wanywa kool-aid wanafiki watupu nyie.

Kuna mtu ameshakisoma hiki kitabu? Nakilia mingle wikendi nikisome...
"This s**t would be really interesting if we weren't in the middle of it" - Barack Obama Sept 2008.
9780061733635.jpg

Back
Top Bottom