Nine dead in NY Hudson crash

MaxShimba

JF-Expert Member
Apr 11, 2008
Aug 8, 2009 6:45 pm US/Eastern
Nine Dead In Tragic Mid-Air Crash Over Hudson

Tour Helicopter, Small Plane Collide, Fall Into River Near 14th Street On Manhattan's West Side; Mayor Says Crash 'Not Survivable'

Bloomberg: 9 Souls Aboard Aircraft, Including 5 Italian tourists; 2 Bodies Found

Mayor: 'It Is A Great Tragedy'

NEW YORK (CBS) ―
HudsonMidairCrash_1052685.jpg
Click to enlarge 1 of 4javascript:displayDiv("img_1")
Emergency workers look for debris in the Hudson River after a helicopter and small plane collided in midair, in New York City on August 8, 2009. AP/CBS

Bloomberg_89711697.jpg
Click to enlarge javascript:displayDiv("img_0")2 of 4javascript:displayDiv("img_2")
New York mayor Mike Bloomberg (3rd left) gives a press conference near the Hudson river in lower Manhattan surrounded by emergency personnel August 8, 2009, in New York City. Chris Hondros/Getty Images

HudsonCrash_89711545.jpg
Click to enlarge javascript:displayDiv("img_1")3 of 4javascript:displayDiv("img_3")
People watch as rescue boats search the area where a small airplane and helicopter collided over the Hudson River August 8, 2009, in Hoboken, New Jersey. Mario Tama/Getty Images

HudsonCrash_89711547.jpg
Click to enlarge javascript:displayDiv("img_2")4 of 4
Rescue boats search the area where a small airplane and helicopter collided over the Hudson River August 8, 2009, near Hoboken, New Jersey. Mario Tama/Getty Images

Tragedy on the Hudson.

A small plane collided with a helicopter packed with tourists, and no one is believed to have survived.

"This is not going to have a happy ending," NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

There was a violent collision, and then debris began falling from the sky. Momentary terror was pushed aside for a desperate search in the water.

Police boats, divers, and emergency teams are still searching the murky Hudson River for the wreckage.

Nine people were on board the plane and helicopter, including one child.

"It is a great tragedy," Bloomberg said. "All the people of New York, in the New York region, have their prayers for the families of the deceased."

It happened just after noon on a crystal clear summer day. A tour helicopter, taking off from the 30th Street heliport, collided with a small plane over the Hudson that had just taken off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey.

Witnesses described chaos in the air as the helicopter dropped like a rock.

"I looked up, and I saw a piece of the plane hit the helicopter," a witness said. "I thought the helicopter looked like it was going into the water."

"Something hit the blades," another witness said. "I saw the blades come off, and the helicopter goes nose down."

As rescue crews rushed to the scene, police divers were dispatched.

"These divers were in this area very quickly, and in the water very quickly," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Further north, at the heliport, an Italian tourist arrived to find family members of the fellow tourists from Italy who had boarded the helicopter.

"They said to me, 'there are some relatives, our relatives, inside the helicopter,'" the tourist said.

Divers very quickly found wreckage of one of the aircraft with bodies inside, but the recovery effort was hampered by low visibility and swift currents.

By the time the mayor briefed the press, the scope of the tragedy had become evident – a rescue mission had become a recovery mission.

"If anybody had survived, we would've been there," Bloomberg said. "Sadly, it appears to us at this point that this was not survivable, from virtually the instant of the accident."

So far two bodies have been recovered from the river. Commissioner Kelly says divers will continue to search until their mission is finished.

Federal Aviation Administration officials say the small plane was lost on radar shortly after leaving Teterboro Airport in New Jersey. It was headed south.

The plane, a Piper PA-32, was registered to LCA Partnership in Fort Washington, Pa., and had just taken off from Teterboro, heading for Ocean City, N.J., authorities said. The helicopter was a Eurocopter AS 350 owned by Liberty Tours, a sightseeing and charter company. It was struck by the plane shortly after lifting off from a heliport on Manhattan's West side.

At least some people saw the crash developing. Another Liberty Tours helicopter pilot on the ground at the heliport saw the plane approaching the helicopter and tried to radio an alert to the pilots, Commissioner Kelly said. The warning either wasn't heard, or didn't happen in time.

Kelly Owen, who was visiting from Florida, saw the crash from a Manhattan park built upon an abandoned elevated rail line.

"First I saw a piece of something flying through the air. Then I saw the helicopter going down into the water," she said, adding that the crowd in the park seemed too stunned to react. "I thought it was my imagination."

Bloomberg said three people were believed aboard the single-engine airplane, while five Italian tourists and one pilot were aboard the helicopter.

The mayor said one large piece of wreckage had been discovered by divers. It was believed to be the fuselage of the helicopter, but that could not be confirmed. At least one of the two recovered bodies was located there, he said.

Bloomberg said the wreckage that was discovered was in about 30 feet of water in poor visibility. He told reporters divers could see only about two or three feet because the water was quite murky.

The aircraft entered the water near Pier 40, at about 14th Street, in Manhattan.

Bloomberg said the National Transportation Safety Board would investigate.

Stay with WCBSTV.com for more as it becomes available.

CBS

Aug 8, 2009 6:45 pm US/Eastern
Nine Dead In Tragic Mid-Air Crash Over Hudson

Tour Helicopter, Small Plane Collide, Fall Into River Near 14th Street On Manhattan's West Side; Mayor Says Crash 'Not Survivable'

Bloomberg: 9 Souls Aboard Aircraft, Including 5 Italian tourists; 2 Bodies Found

Mayor: 'It Is A Great Tragedy'

NEW YORK (CBS) ―
HudsonMidairCrash_1052685.jpg
Click to enlarge 1 of 4javascript:displayDiv("img_1")
Emergency workers look for debris in the Hudson River after a helicopter and small plane collided in midair, in New York City on August 8, 2009. AP/CBS

Bloomberg_89711697.jpg
Click to enlarge javascript:displayDiv("img_0")2 of 4javascript:displayDiv("img_2")
New York mayor Mike Bloomberg (3rd left) gives a press conference near the Hudson river in lower Manhattan surrounded by emergency personnel August 8, 2009, in New York City. Chris Hondros/Getty Images

HudsonCrash_89711545.jpg
Click to enlarge javascript:displayDiv("img_1")3 of 4javascript:displayDiv("img_3")
People watch as rescue boats search the area where a small airplane and helicopter collided over the Hudson River August 8, 2009, in Hoboken, New Jersey. Mario Tama/Getty Images

HudsonCrash_89711547.jpg
Click to enlarge javascript:displayDiv("img_2")4 of 4
Rescue boats search the area where a small airplane and helicopter collided over the Hudson River August 8, 2009, near Hoboken, New Jersey. Mario Tama/Getty Images

Tragedy on the Hudson.

A small plane collided with a helicopter packed with tourists, and no one is believed to have survived.

"This is not going to have a happy ending," NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

There was a violent collision, and then debris began falling from the sky. Momentary terror was pushed aside for a desperate search in the water.

Police boats, divers, and emergency teams are still searching the murky Hudson River for the wreckage.

Nine people were on board the plane and helicopter, including one child.

"It is a great tragedy," Bloomberg said. "All the people of New York, in the New York region, have their prayers for the families of the deceased."

It happened just after noon on a crystal clear summer day. A tour helicopter, taking off from the 30th Street heliport, collided with a small plane over the Hudson that had just taken off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey.

Witnesses described chaos in the air as the helicopter dropped like a rock.

"I looked up, and I saw a piece of the plane hit the helicopter," a witness said. "I thought the helicopter looked like it was going into the water."

"Something hit the blades," another witness said. "I saw the blades come off, and the helicopter goes nose down."

As rescue crews rushed to the scene, police divers were dispatched.

"These divers were in this area very quickly, and in the water very quickly," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Further north, at the heliport, an Italian tourist arrived to find family members of the fellow tourists from Italy who had boarded the helicopter.

"They said to me, 'there are some relatives, our relatives, inside the helicopter,'" the tourist said.

Divers very quickly found wreckage of one of the aircraft with bodies inside, but the recovery effort was hampered by low visibility and swift currents.

By the time the mayor briefed the press, the scope of the tragedy had become evident – a rescue mission had become a recovery mission.

"If anybody had survived, we would've been there," Bloomberg said. "Sadly, it appears to us at this point that this was not survivable, from virtually the instant of the accident."

So far two bodies have been recovered from the river. Commissioner Kelly says divers will continue to search until their mission is finished.

Federal Aviation Administration officials say the small plane was lost on radar shortly after leaving Teterboro Airport in New Jersey. It was headed south.

The plane, a Piper PA-32, was registered to LCA Partnership in Fort Washington, Pa., and had just taken off from Teterboro, heading for Ocean City, N.J., authorities said. The helicopter was a Eurocopter AS 350 owned by Liberty Tours, a sightseeing and charter company. It was struck by the plane shortly after lifting off from a heliport on Manhattan's West side.

At least some people saw the crash developing. Another Liberty Tours helicopter pilot on the ground at the heliport saw the plane approaching the helicopter and tried to radio an alert to the pilots, Commissioner Kelly said. The warning either wasn't heard, or didn't happen in time.

Kelly Owen, who was visiting from Florida, saw the crash from a Manhattan park built upon an abandoned elevated rail line.

"First I saw a piece of something flying through the air. Then I saw the helicopter going down into the water," she said, adding that the crowd in the park seemed too stunned to react. "I thought it was my imagination."

Bloomberg said three people were believed aboard the single-engine airplane, while five Italian tourists and one pilot were aboard the helicopter.

The mayor said one large piece of wreckage had been discovered by divers. It was believed to be the fuselage of the helicopter, but that could not be confirmed. At least one of the two recovered bodies was located there, he said.

Bloomberg said the wreckage that was discovered was in about 30 feet of water in poor visibility. He told reporters divers could see only about two or three feet because the water was quite murky.

The aircraft entered the water near Pier 40, at about 14th Street, in Manhattan.

Bloomberg said the National Transportation Safety Board would investigate.

Stay with WCBSTV.com for more as it becomes available.

CBS

Back
Top Bottom