New administration under Samia Suluhu gives hope after 5 years of hopelessness

Jeremiah Kioni, head of the Jubilee Party, which backed Mr. Odinga, said Mr. Ruto’s side carried out “massive subtle rigging” in 33 constituencies around Mt. Kenya, the heart of Mr. Ruto’s power base. The electoral process “was highly compromised,” Mr. Kioni added.

He also accused the Ruto campaign of intimidating Odinga voters and displaying illegal campaign materials.

Mbavu sinaaaaaa

Sent from my SM-A715F using JamiiForums mobile app

Sen. Kipchumba Murkomen, a Ruto campaign official, said voting around Mt. Kenya went smoothly.

“The allegations of irregularities are unfounded,” Mr. Murkomen said outside of the main tallying center in Nairobi.

Mr. Odinga’s supporters, he said, “are simply looking for a convenient way to explain their loss.”

PSX_20220813_202518.jpg

In an interview with BBC News in January 2008, Odinga asserted that he was the first cousin of US president Barack Obama through Obama's father.[80] However, Barack Obama's paternal uncle denied any direct relation to Odinga, stating "Odinga's mother came from this area, so it is normal for us to talk about cousins. But he is not a blood relative."[81]

Raila major Controversies.

Miguna Miguna claims

During his premiership, Odinga appointed Miguna Miguna as his advisor on coalition affairs, whom he later suspended in August 2011,[82] citing "gross misconduct". The Daily Nation quoted his reason for suspension as being "accused of misrepresenting the office of the Prime Minister, possibly a reference to his having aired strong views which may have embarrassed the PM". Miguna Miguna later published controversial books about his working relationship with Odinga. According to one of Miguna Miguna's books, Peeling Back the Mask: A quest for justice in Kenya, instances of abuse of office, corruption, political trickery as well as public deception were planned, coordinated and covered up in Odinga's office in the three years where he worked there as an advisor of Odinga.[83][84]

His suspension came at a time when the electoral body, the IIEC, was in an uproar and unsettled by anonymously authored complaints which the commissioners characterise as a hate campaign but which raise troubling questions on corruption and nepotism. Later Miguna, after suspension, issued a statement that said he "was instructed to write my article on the IIEC chairman and the position he had taken with respect to the party's decision to kick out rebellious MPs and Councillors". He later denied this, according to the Nairobi Star.[85]

Maize scandal.

During Raila Odinga's tenure, The Office of the Prime Minister was implicated in the 'Kazi kwa Vijana scandal' whereby a World Bank funded project was suspended due to embezzlement of funds.[86] Similarly, the 'Maize scandal' whereby aflatoxin contaminated maize was imported into Kenya was also linked to The Office of the Prime Minister leading to the suspension of Odinga's top aides Permanent Secretary Mohammed Isahakia and Chief of Staff Caroli Omondi.[87][88]

2019 gold scam.

Odinga has been reportedly linked to a 2019 multi-million dollar advance-fee scam of non-existent and "fake gold" in Kenya by a number of politicians from both sides of the political divide in Kenya.[89][90][91][92] According to the reports UAE Prime Minister Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's cousin lost money in disguised transactions for non-existent or otherwise "fake gold" in Kenya.[90][91][93] In May 2019, in a leaked video recording, a voice of Moses Wetangula, the then senator of Bungoma, appeared to implicate Odinga in a gold deal gone sour, a deal in which millions of dollars were lost by the UAE royal family in an advance fee scam of non-existent gold in Kenya.[90][91] In the same video as was reported Wetangula claimed Odinga runs ODM like a gestapo where nothing happens without his concessions, and that Odinga met the president to explain the matter of the gold deal.[91] In the same month Odinga claimed that he was the one that outed the confidence tricksters to the Dubai-based complainants.[94][95] Later in the same month a number of political leaders in Kenya called for Odinga to be investigated by the DCI for international conmanship. The legislators claimed they had compelling evidence against Odinga. According to them Odinga cannot be part of a criminal transaction and then claim to be a whistleblower at the same time, whilst being a direct individual beneficiary of proceeds of the scam.[92][96][97][98]

Kenyan media outlets that had been conducting independent vote counts—based on digital documents from each of the 46,229 polling stations—suddenly slowed or stopped their counts after showing Mr. Ruto in the lead. Media representatives said their employees were exhausted and needed rest.

Amid the tense tallying process, a top elections official went missing on Friday after stepping out of the tallying center to make a phone call, according to Wafula Chebukati, chairman of the elections commission. The official hasn’t been seen since and election monitors fear he could have been kidnapped.

On Friday, Mr. Chebukati accused representatives from both the Odinga and Ruto campaigns of physically interfering with officials carrying out the count. He instructed them to give the officials more space to work at elections headquarters.

“We are not moving as fast as we should,” Mr. Chebukati said.

Back
Top Bottom