Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

Meneja Wa Makampuni

JF-Expert Member
Jul 7, 2020
Hi all of you guys,

Hope every body here in JamiiForums is doing well.

Today I would like to use English to ask this question because my Swahili is not good. So sorry for those who will not come familiar with my question.

Here is my question, which actually is among of the 16th U. S president Quotes.

16th U. S president Abraham Lincoln said that: "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

I need to know the meaning of this quote. If you know please welcome.

You can also use swahili to explain.

thread has an hour,with no single comment.wacha tusubiri jirani zetu wakenya watujibie

I think he meant... you can't test a man's character just by looking on how he deals with difficult situations.Because,on dealing with difficulties nearly all men will show same characters,like patience and humility.But when given power you can tell one's character.

For example,by observing a man in poverty(dealing with adversity) you may say he is so humble,patient and so loving to his wife and children but when he becomes rich(in power) he will surely show different characters like infidelity and selfishness.

So you can't test a man's character in adversity but in power.

I think he meant... you can't test a man's character just by looking on how he deals with difficult situations.Because,on dealing with difficulties nearly all men will show same characters,like patience and humility.But when given power you can tell one's character.

For example,by observing a man in poverty(dealing with adversity) you may say he is so humble,patient and so loving to his wife and children but when he becomes rich(in power) he will surely show different characters like infidelity and selfishness.

So you can't test a man's character in adversity but in power.
Thank you very much chief.

I can't believe my nose .The power of love here meaning of these saying of Former president. That you can't see someone love you very much until you breakthrough hardest situation which will rise him of fallen while in beyond that situation.
the good evaluation I trial

Most of tabia (characters) za binadamu huonekana kulingana na mazingira na uwezo (kifedha or mamlaka) hvyo basi ukitaka kujua huyo mtu yupoje ama anatabia gani basi mpe uwezo (mamlaka au fedha) kwani kutakua hamna kipingamizi cha kuzuia kua kuzionyesha.

Hapa ndio utajua jamii forum imejaza wanasiasa wasio na elimu wala uwezo wa ku reason. Kazi yao kubwa umbeya tu, na ushabiki wa kukariri katiba
Statement za hivi ni za ajabu sana. Kwani standard ya kusema huyu ni msomi mwenye elimu,akili na kujua ku reason,ina pimwa na matumizi ya kingeleza!!? Mada yako,unaihamisha kwa hivi hoja zako.