Nchimbi clarifies on Kikwete’s Studio

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
Sat, Aug 13th, 2011

Dr-Emmanuel-Nchimbi.jpg

Minister for Information, Youth, Culture and Sports, Dr Emmanuel Nchimbi

The Minister for Information, Youth, Culture and Sports Emmanuel Nchimbi insisted that the mastering studio donated to recording artists by President Jakaya Kikwete belongs to Tanzania Flavour Unit, a coalition of artists who petitioned for the facility when the head-of-state graced a three-year anniversary of the Tanzania House of Talent.

The saga revolving around the modern mastering studio had sparked hot debate when Members of Parliament debated the ministry’s budget estimates for the 2011/2012 financial year that successfully sailed through on Friday evening.
Nchimbi was responding to Mbeya Urban legislator Joseph Mbilinyi alias ‘Sugu’, who wanted to know who owned the studio. “I remember to have clarified this matter before but it seems Mbilinyi wants to keep this saga going on and on.

I wish, I had an injection that I could use as cure to get this topic off his head for good,” Nchimbi joked and added; “I hope this would be the last time we make clarification on this matter.”

Nchimbi told the House that the studio that cost the president some 50m/- was granted to the artists who had requested for it. “Tanzania House of Talent was marking a three-year anniversary and the president was invited as the guest of honour.

During the event Lady Jay Dee read a speech, in which they appealed to the president to buy them a mastering studio. He said the president consented with the artists’ request and promised to avail them with the facility and fulfilled his promise last year.

Nchimbi further said the artists were directed to form an organization that would keep the studio on behalf of those who had requested for the facility. “The aim was to avoid the possibility of one person confiscating the studio.

And they formed Tanzania Flavour Unit,” he explained. Nchimbi also rubbished off a claim by Mbilinyi that Ruge Mutahaba, the THT’s Director whom the legislator accused of deceiving President Kikwete on the camouflage of supporting local artists, is the owner of Tanzania Flavour Unit.

“THT does not own this organization…Tanzania Flavour Unit is an independent organization formed and owned by artists themselves, if you are interested with knowing its directors you can get the names at the registrar’s office,” Nchimbi clarified.

The minister also quashed the MP’s allegation that President Kikwete has offered a government house to THT.

“It’s entirely not true, THT are renting in a private house, not a government house, whoever gave you that information had no good intention, because the claims are unfounded.”

Still, Mbilinyi was reluctant to accept that the recording facility was meant for some artists, not for all. The youthful politician-cum-artist stuck to his point that President Kikwete offered the studio for the use of all artistes in the country and not for a particular group.

He insisted; “The president cannot do such a thing (giving the mastering studio to few people), he is not that discriminative, he has always had good intention to rescue artistes from leading a miserable life, but some few people are betraying his efforts.”

Responding to Mbilinyi’s claims, Nchimbi said; “Honourable Mbilinyi revealed when making his contribution earlier today that he was not interested with the mastering studio, but he is sticking to this topic because he believes it is the weak link, I cannot respond to weak links.”

Mbilinyi, who is the shadow Minister for Information, Youth, Culture and Sports shook his head in disappointment, but the debate ended and he was forced to accept the studio belongs to the Tanzania Flavour Unit, an act he branded as ‘the Richmond version’ of the music industry.

Also contributing to the ministry’s debate, the Member of Parliament for Kinondoni (CCM), Iddi Azzan insisted that President Kikwete donated the studio to the Tanzania House of Talent after its artistes had sought the president’s support. Azzan encouraged those who have similar demands to seek help and stop complaining.

By ABDALLAH MSUYA, Tanzania Daily News