Nation Media as a propaganda machine for Kenya Government

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Kenya seen reaping huge gains from EAC

By BD TEAM
January 6 2010

When the presidents of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania decided to revive the stalled East African Community integration project 10 years ago, few people beyond the government circles thought it was a tenable idea.

But after years of emotive discussions tempered with suspicions, walkouts and even threats of isolation, the three nations have not only succeeded in forging a fully-fledged customs union but have also succeeded in roping in two other landlocked countries in the region – Rwanda and Burundi - to join the bandwagon.

According to head of political affairs at EAC Secretariat Beatrice Kiraso, the quest for regional integration will not stop until other landlocked regions whose umbilical cords are connected to East Africa such as Southern Sudan and DRC are recruited.

The customs union that the region set in motion at beginning of this month means tariffs on goods traded across the region has flattened at zero per cent while those imported from outside the region must attract uniform external tariff.

Going forward, the ongoing service sector liberalisation is set to ease free movement of labour, capital and access to land across the region once the common market is rolled out in six months time.

At national levels, however, it is the increased production of goods and enhanced efficiency in executing services that will determine how fast the region will implement the remaining phases of the integration.

The Business Daily team sought the views of key sector players on the implementation of the regional integration agenda.

William Lay, Chairman, Kenya Motor Vehicles Association and
MD, General Motors East Africa

"The combined demand for new motor vehicles in Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi is equivalent to Kenya's and therefore at General Motors, we should be looking at doubling our current installed capacity.

My comment:
[I doubt whether this is true cause while GM East Africa makes noises that its Kenyan market is equal that of other EA countries, Kenya has not witnessed increasing mining activities like Tanzania has and Tanzania has its own General Automobile, Toyota Tanzania, Hyundai EA and Mantrac Tanzania, Scania Tanzania that also supply to great lake region Rwanda, burundi, Uganda, DRC, Zambia. Also the EA common Market's rule of origin requires the vahicles to have been assembled at least 30% to access the EA market free, something GM East Africa and the whole of EA existing assembling plants can't comply at the moment! The paragraph above Sounds to be purely undermining tactics at its best it would have made a sense if the number of vehicles Kenya procure yearly would have been mentioned in comparison to the number for the rest of EA countries! otherwise it is hype journalism]

However, influx of used motor vehicles especially those used for commercial purposes has seriously dented the regional market. We cannot claim to be moving into a fully-fledged customs union when politicians keep undermining the application of the region's Common External Tariffs with several requests for exemptions. In this region, the cartel that imports used vehicles is very influential and easily gets its way with local politicians.

As an industry, we lost our grounds in the regional negotiations last year when the national budgets introduced duty remissions on importation of certain classes of vehicles, creating a loophole that used vehicle dealers have since exploited to swamp the region with the kind of motor vehicles that break down our roads every day. At GM, we are currently using only 30 per cent of our installed capacity but we believe that increased sales in the common market will enable us to hire 200 more Kenyans this year.

Prof George Godia, Education Secretary, Ministry of Education

"The opening up of a Common Market presents the best opportunity for Kenya to sort out its oversupply of teachers at a time when its neighbours experience acute shortages.

While previous agreements with other countries to have Kenyan teachers work in the region have helped ease the pressure, we expect that the common market will remove the imbalances.

[Currently, we have over 50,000 trained but jobless teachers most of who could be absorbed in the regional market [This is the biggest lie i ever heard in my lifetime! citing this article here by the same Nationmedia http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200909210007.html Kenya needs about 65,000 teachers to ensure quality education how can it be this confusion happening in the span of less than 3 months? Is Nationmedia a propaganda machine of Kibaki regime?].

It is anticipated that member states will be freed to hire teachers from outside their national borders to plug the skills gap.

The Common Market could also provide an avenue for Kenya to invest more in its education system to expand access as regional students could come calling more than is the case currently. Universities for example are expected to have a wider reach.

Sam Omukoko, Managing Director, Metropol East Africa Ltd.

"Kenya is emerging as the region's hub for provision of financial services as is evident from the growing number of indigenous banks that have set up operations in neighbouring countries.

The coming into effect of an East African Common Market will only strengthen these pioneering companies as they will have already established the capacity needed to operate as a regional company.

One of the key reasons why interest and transaction costs charged by financial service providers remain relatively high is because we have over one hundred institutions including commercial banks, insurance companies and stockbrokers competing for a very small captive clientele base in Kenya.

But with the expansion into the region, financial institutions are likely to enjoy exposure to a wider potential customer base, to which they can then offer cheaper services driven by the high-volume, lower-margin business operation model

[likewise Tanzania and Uganda can say the same].

Hasit Shah, Chairman, Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK).

"FPEAK already hosts the secretariat for fresh producers from the Comesa member countries and from the EAC region.

Locally, we got enough rains to produce more and opening up of the borders by the common market protocol is good for farmers who have been seeking unfettered entry to regional markets.

[Isn't this the country animals plus people were dying and shown all over the media under this sun begging for help that Kenya is in dare need of food? Isnt this the same people that caused a lot of chaos to Tanzania with escalating cattle rustling and mass migration of Massais in Serengeti and Loliondo in 2009?].

It will also be very easy to expand operations across the region and market our products in the export market as a single region.

But high power costs are likely to erode the gains and make us uncompetitive.

Kenya and Tanzania is struggling because of lack of investment in the power sector. Pricing is also an issue. Producers from Egypt and Morocco pay a quarter of the costs that Kenyan producers pay.

This is because Egypt relies on affordable hydro-based power generated from the River Nile. Unlike, in the EAC, power costs in Ethiopia are lower because they have invested more.

Nixon Ooko, Operations Director, Fly540

"The signing of the common market protocol during the 10th anniversary of the East African Community heralds the escalation of tourism and trade in the region. There will be significant growth in air travel throughout the East African region and our airline is ready to meet this need.

From next week, Fly540 will be linking Nairobi with Mwanza and Bujumbura with three weekly 50 seater aircraft on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Our recent acquisition of a CRJ-100 will be followed by additional jet and turbo prop aircraft to support further expansion. We are bullish about the future of air travel in East Africa and beyond and we forecast our business to double this year [This is the company under name Lonrho that stole from Kenya massively and sold its assets and disappeared without paying stamps under Moi regime and now it comes again under a new name fly 540 after divesting and investing in Zimbabwe and Equatorial Guinea, lets see how it gonna feature with a new companion at the Ngong road i.e. Baba Jimmy! And for your info. Nyerere kicked them out of Tanzania in early 1980 cause of first repetitively cooking financial books to evade tax and second cause of frustrating and mendling with Liberation struggles in Zimbabwe and Angola through supporting proxies].

Generally, Fly540 is evolving into a Pan Africa airline. To supplement the fleet at our Nairobi hub we have based aircraft in Tanzania and Uganda. There are also plans to open up hubs in Angola, Ghana and Zimbabwe.

John Wanyela, CEO, Kenya Bankers Association

"Although some Kenyan banks have already established branches across the region since the customs union was established five years ago, many more opportunities are expected to come along as the integration process continues.

Among the workers in the industry, the common market to be implemented from July this year can only mean increased job opportunities. It will open the borders for easy of professionals within the region.

Expansion and growth in the industry that is expected to follow. Banks that seek to expand and increase their presence in the region will further create job opportunities and support sustainable growth which will in turn help the population in the region to improve their standards of living.

[The usual blahblah every bank can do the same no need to brag]

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Company%20Industry/-/539550/837444/-/view/printVersion/-/90q9iez/-/index.html

My take:
Nation Media continues to advocate careless journalism that disregards ethics and reality on the ground! I urge Tanzanians to avoid Nationmedia newspapers cause their aim is to scare and play with your minds through glorification of baba Jimmy's regime and country at large! They have already played the minds of Kenyans in this forum who believe everything they read on the Nationmedia newspapers. I advice to better read The Standards if you want to get genuine information from Kenya!

Where are Smatta, Nomasana and Certified? You are needed here to answer! ;)

Where are Smatta, Nomasana and Certified? You are needed here to answer! ;)

i see no one else has responded to your irrelevant article hence you want us to respond to your article. let me save some blushes.

fact is, NATION MEDIA is the biggest publicly traded media house in EA. nobody cares about your pitiful opinions about their articles.

Jamaa ameandika anachokijua yeye, ameweka takwimu zake na mawazo yake, kwanini yatukere? Wewe Geza Ulole si nawewe uandike mazuri ya Iringa au Tanzania based on facts and figures of ours? Lets get out of these unnecessary jealous.

i see no one else has responded to your irrelevant article hence you want us to respond to your article. let me save some blushes.

fact is, NATION MEDIA is the biggest publicly traded media house in EA. nobody cares about your pitiful opinions about their articles.

Ofcourse under the ownership of His Highness Prince Aga Khan! Lets get to the point now, i didnt ask for whether it is the biggest or smallest, but their Journalism ethics (Dude learn to stick and discuss the agenda, where did you study myfriend? in Kenya must be one of those bomas for sure!)! It will be good if we discuss it diligently so that people of EA know whats behind their agenda and hence avoid another PEV! Mind you the same Media under Mwananchi published a picture (photo edited) of Dr Salim Ahmed Salim with an AlQueda suspect that costed his presidency bid in 2005 in favor of Kikwete denying the the people of Tanzania their fundamental right to vote for the person they liked most!

Jamaa ameandika anachokijua yeye, ameweka takwimu zake na mawazo yake, kwanini yatukere? Wewe Geza Ulole si nawewe uandike mazuri ya Iringa au Tanzania based on facts and figures of ours? Lets get out of these unnecessary jealous.
Otherwise in Kenya, in Worldwide Journalism ethics do not require you to write what you know but the facts and only facts if not genuine speculations! I think i'm smatter than most Kenyans to have constructive arguments though they keep on claiming to be educated and clever! Better not wasting my time on educating them!

Proudly Tanzanian
cheers!
Geza

Otherwise in Kenya, in Worldwide Journalism ethics do not require you to write what you know but the facts and only facts if not genuine speculations!

You are very wrong, mtu yeyote anaruhusiwa kutoa au kuandika habari kwenye gazeti ilimradi mhariri anakubaliana nayo. Huyu mtu anaweza kuandika mawazo yake, kitu alichokiona au wahi kukiona, anachofikiri chenye mantiki au uchambuzi.

Mimi ni Mtz lakini sijawa offended na huyo jamaa, kwani ameandika vitu anavyoona Kenya inavyo ktk East Afrika. Kwamfano anasema data zinaonyesha kuwa idadi ya magari waliyoagiza Wakenya yamekuwa mengi kuliko yaliyoagizwa na nchi zingine za EAC kwa pamoja au anasema Wakenya wana trained teachers 50,000 ambao ni jobless nk sasa haya yanakuuma nini?

Yaani Mkenya aogope kuandika mambo kama haya kwa lipi? ethics za uandishi zimepotoshwa wapi na vipi? au ninamiss kitu!

Proudly Tanzanian
cheers!
Geza

even me I'm proudly Tanzanian lakini hiyo haizuii nchi nyingine kujisikia ktk mambo yao, ikiwa ni pamoja na kutulinganisha. Mara nyingi tunajilinganisha na nchi hizi (jirani zetu) ktk masuala ya amani na kujiita kisiwa cha amani. Je? Wakenya wachukie ktk hilo? si namna hiyo bro.

You are very wrong, mtu yeyote anaruhusiwa kutoa au kuandika habari kwenye gazeti ilimradi mhariri anakubaliana nayo. Huyu mtu anaweza kuandika mawazo yake, kitu alichokiona au wahi kukiona, anachofikiri chenye mantiki au uchambuzi.

Mimi ni Mtz lakini sijawa offended na huyo jamaa, kwani ameandika vitu anavyoona Kenya inavyo ktk East Afrika. Kwamfano anasema data zinaonyesha kuwa idadi ya magari waliyoagiza Wakenya yamekuwa mengi kuliko yaliyoagizwa na nchi zingine za EAC kwa pamoja au anasema Wakenya wana trained teachers 50,000 ambao ni jobless nk sasa haya yanakuuma nini?

Yaani Mkenya aogope kuandika mambo kama haya kwa lipi? ethics za uandishi zimepotoshwa wapi na vipi? au ninamiss kitu!
Acha kutetea wewe, that is cooking data to rosen up the image of Kenya (that i does not have) i gave a link showing an article published in the same media (can you imagine) three months before and they were in need of over 60,000 teachers this was according to Mwai Emilio Kibaki! you can't be serious to be supporting this kind of lame journalism and let them go away with this! If this is the EA we are trying to create i think we have serious problems! By the way where did the editor go to school? is this what you brag about being educated and skilled people in EA?

even me I'm proudly Tanzanian lakini hiyo haizuii nchi nyingine kujisikia ktk mambo yao, ikiwa ni pamoja na kutulinganisha. Mara nyingi tunajilinganisha na nchi hizi (jirani zetu) ktk masuala ya amani na kujiita kisiwa cha amani. Je? Wakenya wachukie ktk hilo? si namna hiyo bro.
discuss the topic my friend and stop corrupting me! You can only convince me with smart arguments!

Acha kutetea wewe, that is cooking data to rosen up the image of Kenya (that i does not have) i gave a link showing an article published in the same media (can you imagine) three months before and they were in need of over 60,000 teachers this was according to Mwai Emilio Kibaki! you can't be serious to be supporting this kind of lame journalism and let them go away with this! If this is the EA we are trying to create i think we have serious problems! By the way where did the editor go to school? is this what you brag about being educated and skilled people in EA?

Sina facts za kusema huyo jamaa ameandika uwongo. Nilikuwa against Kenyans walipokuwa wakitangaza Kilimanjaro kuwa kwao, maana hapo waliingilia maslahi ya nchi yangu. Lakini wanaposema wanawasomi wengi (walimu) wasio na kazi. Au wanaagiza magari mengi kuliko sis mimi sioni shida kabisa. Naendelea na kupambbana kulijenga Taifa langu.

Mkuu Geza, kuinuka kwa Kenya au nchi nyingine jirani kupo mikononi mwao, wala hatupaswi kuumizwa au kutotaka nchi nyingine iendee. Kama sisi tunashindwa kuendelea ni matatizo yetu na tunatakiwa kujifunza toka kwa wenzetu.

Kama wanatoa takwimu za uongo ni kwa ajili yao wala hazituhusu. Kenya ni jirani zetu, rafiki zetu, though are our rivals as well. Tunapaswa kuwa na mahusiano mazuri nao muda wote. Huku nilipomimi tunaishi na Wakenya kama watu wa nchi moja hivi. Believe me Watanzania tupo karibu na Wakenya kuliko nchi nyingine yeyote. Hata hapa JF Wakenya wamekuwa kama watanzania, tofauti na nchi zingine.

Kwa ujumla sipendelei tuwe tunatengeneza tension zisizo na msingi kati yetu na jirani zetu.

Sina facts za kusema huyo jamaa ameandika uwongo. Nilikuwa against Kenyans walipokuwa wakitangaza Kilimanjaro kuwa kwao, maana hapo waliingilia maslahi ya nchi yangu. Lakini wanaposema wanawasomi wengi (walimu) wasio na kazi. Au wanaagiza magari mengi kuliko sis mimi sioni shida kabisa. Naendelea na kupambbana kulijenga Taifa langu.

Mkuu Geza, kuinuka kwa Kenya au nchi nyingine jirani kupo mikononi mwao, wala hatupaswi kuumizwa au kutotaka nchi nyingine iendee. Kama sisi tunashindwa kuendelea ni matatizo yetu na tunatakiwa kujifunza toka kwa wenzetu.

Kama wanatoa takwimu za uongo ni kwa ajili yao wala hazituhusu. Kenya ni jirani zetu, rafiki zetu, though are our rivals as well. Tunapaswa kuwa na mahusiano mazuri nao muda wote. Huku nilipomimi tunaishi na Wakenya kama watu wa nchi moja hivi. Believe me Watanzania tupo karibu na Wakenya kuliko nchi nyingine yeyote. Hata hapa JF Wakenya wamekuwa kama watanzania, tofauti na nchi zingine.

Kwa ujumla sipendelei tuwe tunatengeneza tension zisizo na msingi kati yetu na jirani zetu.
i respect your opinion lakini when an article involves my country i have to speak if the figures are incorrect! I hate this seeking good publicity that they don't have esp. when they use the EA block to glorify themselves at expense of others! think of this that's the Businessdaily newspaper, an investor is reading that what picture does he get? That's the missuse of the power of media even when it clearly tells lies! Who will know that if not few people like me, and that's why i use this forum to educate you and the Kenyans here though most of them don't like the idea since they are fed of glorification propaganda!

discuss the topic my friend and stop corrupting me! You can only convince me with smart arguments!

your fellow tanzanian dismantled your arguement in one plainly put statement.

a piece of advice to you. the more you argue with nemesis the more you appear stupid and shallow.

your fellow tanzanian dismantled your arguement in one plainly put statement.

a piece of advice to you. the more you argue with nemesis the more you appear stupid and shallow.
i know the topic doesnt look pleasant to you, but i have my opinion too on which i stand firm to defend! Tanzanians need to be aware of this nationalistic trend by Nationmedia that disregard investigative journalism.

Read here [http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/InsidePage.php?id=2000000592&cid=4&ttl=Quarter-million students to miss Form One places] to see why this can not be a news by Nationmedia at this particular time where schools enroll but a news by The Standards! How insane are you to keep on arguing on a person who oppose me and not the topic.

I don't have any problem with someone using media for publicity. I believe it is a market strategy to entice customers. Again,no problem for National media to publish opinion from CEO's or anyone.

That all said, I strongly condemn those culprits who present the false fact to the public.

It is fallacious, mendacious and malicious to make us believe that the GMC market in Kenya is bigger than EA combine. Toyota has the lion share in Tanzania and Uganda. Burundi and Rwanda are the hybrid markets. The GM director should present data to support his idea and not blah blah blah.

The Nation Media will publish anything as part of their careless journalism type of work and ethics , no question about that. Imagine, the same people fabricated the news about Wenger!

nobody gives a isht of whatever, i don't know why some people are so hurt by matters that concern them less.

Geza Ulole, u can go and sue Nation Media for embarrassing or doing whatever to you, there is nothing you are going to prove here or do that will make the guys stop doing their thing. it's sad for you because worse, it runs your countries media.

nobody gives a isht of whatever, i don't know why some people are so hurt by matters that concern them less.

Geza Ulole, u can go and sue Nation Media for embarrassing or doing whatever to you, there is nothing you are going to prove here or do that will make the guys stop doing their thing. it's sad for you because worse, it runs your countries media.
r u sure? probably u sleep-talk! go and wash ur face! By the way if you dont give a ....then dont waste your time and reply! i saw you blocked me at skyscrapercity.com how undemocratic is that?

So hawa Wakenya wasiombe hii Kazi?????
kama vipi tuiombe fasta mwana
Project Manager – Taifa

/

Job Ref:– HR-PMT-07-10
Nation Media Group the leading media house in East and Central Africa wishes to recruit a suitably qualified Project Manager-Taifa. We invite applicants who are performance driven and possess excellent command in ‘Swahili' and transferable skills, as well as demonstrable track records of achievement in past roles.
The Role: The Project Manager-Taifa will report to the Managing Director, Nation Newspaper Division. He/She will drive the new thinking around Taifa towards making it an authority in Kiswahili in the internet and within the East Africa region.
Key result areas will include:
  • Develop strategy for the Taifa project, ensure its buy-in and implementation within agreed timelines;
  • Work with the Editors to ensure generation of content to be posted on the new Taifa portal;
  • Coordinate the development and publishing of various Taifa branded products;
  • Coordinate with teachers and school curriculum developers, on the examinations revise manuals for Kiswahili students;
  • Device and implement a commercialization plan for the Taifa portal and the materials to be developed;
  • Develop and manage linkages with other institutions and Universities offering Kiswahili; and
  • Develop and manage linkages with our Dar es Salaam operations to integrate their resources with the Taifa.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirement:
  • University Degree in Kiswahili or Linguistics;
  • Diploma or Degree in Sales & Marketing from a recognized institution;
  • 5 to 7 years teaching Kiswahili at secondary or University level.
If you would like to considered for this challenging position please log on to: http://careers.nationmedia.com
The application should be submitted not later than 14th July 2010.
We shall only contact the shortlisted applicants.

So hawa Wakenya wasiombe hii Kazi?????
kama vipi tuiombe fasta mwana
Project Manager – Taifa

/

Job Ref:– HR-PMT-07-10
Nation Media Group the leading media house in East and Central Africa wishes to recruit a suitably qualified Project Manager-Taifa. We invite applicants who are performance driven and possess excellent command in ‘Swahili’ and transferable skills, as well as demonstrable track records of achievement in past roles.
The Role: The Project Manager-Taifa will report to the Managing Director, Nation Newspaper Division. He/She will drive the new thinking around Taifa towards making it an authority in Kiswahili in the internet and within the East Africa region.

Key result areas will include:
  • Develop strategy for the Taifa project, ensure its buy-in and implementation within agreed timelines;
  • Work with the Editors to ensure generation of content to be posted on the new Taifa portal;
  • Coordinate the development and publishing of various Taifa branded products;
  • Coordinate with teachers and school curriculum developers, on the examinations revise manuals for Kiswahili students;
  • Device and implement a commercialization plan for the Taifa portal and the materials to be developed;
  • Develop and manage linkages with other institutions and Universities offering Kiswahili; and
  • Develop and manage linkages with our Dar es Salaam operations to integrate their resources with the Taifa.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirement:
  • University Degree in Kiswahili or Linguistics;
  • Diploma or Degree in Sales & Marketing from a recognized institution;
  • 5 to 7 years teaching Kiswahili at secondary or University level.
If you would like to considered for this challenging position please log on to: http://careers.nationmedia.com
The application should be submitted not later than 14th July 2010.
We shall only contact the shortlisted applicants.
babu chukua kazi hiyo kama unamakaratee ya kiswangish! najua hamna anaweza kukushinda kwenye interview! :A S tongue:

r u sure? probably u sleep-talk! go and wash ur face! By the way if you dont give a ....then dont waste your time and reply! i saw you blocked me at skyscrapercity.com how undemocratic is that?

seems u the 1 dream-talking.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom