Nairobi bus bomber was Tanzanian | JamiiForums | The Home of Great Thinkers

Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Nairobi bus bomber was Tanzanian

Discussion in 'Kenyan News and Politics' started by ByaseL, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. B

    ByaseL JF-Expert Member

    Dec 22, 2010
    Joined: Nov 22, 2007
    Messages: 2,223
    Likes Received: 22
    Trophy Points: 135
    KENYAN Police have confirmed that the man who died in Monday night’s grenade attack at a Nairobi bus terminal was a Tanzanian who was headed to Uganda on a terrorist mission.

    Two Kenyan women also died, while 33 passengers, six of them Ugandans, were injured in the attack on a Kampala-bound bus.

    Police commissioner Mathew Iteere yesterday told reporters that Albert John Olando Mulando was identified as the man carrying the luggage that had the Russian-made grenade that exploded.

    Iteere said the device exploded before the bomber could undergo a mandatory security check to board a Kampala Coach Bus, which was parked on River Road.

    “After the investigations, we are over 90% sure that the man was transporting the grenade to Uganda. However, he became nervous and dropped it during the security check, before he could enter the bus,” he added.

    The police boss said Mulando did not have any identification documents apart from a pass issued on October 23, when he entered the country through Loitoktok.

    “He is a Tanzanian born in Mwanza and he has been staying in the country since he was issued with the pass.

    “The man did not have accomplices. He had a small notebook which had mobile phone contacts which we are trying to scrutinise,” Iteere added.

    Kenya police said no Ugandan died in the blast that ripped into the side of the bus.

    Uganda High Commission Officials yesterday spent over three hours at Kenyatta National Hospital in the hope of establishing whether there could be some Ugandan casualties.

    “We wanted to visit one Ugandan, Fatuma, who is still admitted at the hospital, but we were denied permission until later in the afternoon,” an official told New Vision.