Mzumbe University gets a New Vice Chancellor

Mushobozi

JF-Expert Member
Aug 20, 2007
After a long time waiting for some changes at MU, a New Vice Chancellor has been obtained replace the former prof.Joseph Sinde Warioba.

we, tanzanians would like to see the higher learning education getting effective and liberalized from one public institute alone. as we need many parties in a country, we do the same to the universities.

dear intellectuals, I hereby welcome you to predict the likeliness of this person from his CV below

CURRICULUM VITAE (ABRIDGED)

JOSEPH ANDREW KUZILWA

1. Personal Information:

Date of Birth: 1952
Nationality: Tanzanian
Marital Status: Married, with three children

Contact Address:

P.O. Box 61
MZUMBE - TANZANIA

Phone: Res 255-023-2-604936

Off. 255-023-2-4380/3/4 Ext 327
Mobile: 0744- 436524
Fax 255-023-260 4382

E-mail kuz.idm@raha.com; jkuzilwa@yahoo.com; jakuzilwa@mzumbe.ac.tz

2. Academic /Professional/Qualifications:

2.1 Degrees

B.A. (Economics), University of Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,

M.A. Economics (International Trade), University of Lancaster, Lancaster,
Britain, 1978

Ph.D. Economics (International Monetary Economics and Development Economics),
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, USA, 1992

3. Summary of Career Experience

Professor Joseph Kuzilwa has been with Mzumbe University, formerly Institute of Development
Management, since 1975. Initially employed as tutorial assistant, in 1975, he climbed up the ladder to
becoming a full professor in Economics in July 2002. Apart from teaching and research, Prof Kuzilwa
also served as Director of Studies for the then Institute of Development Management for six years
(1993-1999) and Deputy Vice Chancellor of Mzumbe University from 2002 to date. He is currently also
the Tanzania Country Coordinator of the African Clothing and Footwear Research Network, the
position he has held since 2001. Prof. Kuzilwa is also a fellow of the Tanzania Academy of Sciences,
where he is also serving as its first Treasurer.

4. Research Interest

Prof. Kuzilwa’s main research interests are in industrialization, with special focus on agro-based
industrialization, value chain analysis, entrepreneurship and business development (small and medium
enterprises, including issues of micro-finance) and in exchange rate.

Completed Research Works

Agro-industrialization
a) Kuzilwa, J.A., Market Liberalization and the Agro-Industrial Potential in Tanzania 1995-96-
Funded by European Development Fund (Published into a book by Research, Information and
Publication Centre, IDM, Mzumbe), 1997. ISBN 9987-617-04-2

b) Kuzilwa, J.A. and M.S. Kuzilwa, Banana Trade in Rungwe District, Tanzania and its Impact On
Gender (together with Kuzilwa, M.S.) 1997 Funded by NORAD through Project TAN 058 support to
WORECOT (produced research report and one published paper in Tanzania Management Journal)

c) Kuzilwa, J.A.; and M.S. Kuzilwa,; A Value Chain Analysis of the Dairy Industry: Opportunities
and Constraints to Participation by Small and Medium Enterprises: The Case of Southern
Highlands in Tanzania (supported by NORAD under Agder University / Mzumbe University
Research collaboration – Entrepreneurship Cluster)

d) (a) Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi,; The Effects of Direct Foreign Investment in Agriculture and
Agro-Industrial Sectors on the Poverty Reduction in an Economy Undergoing Liberalization
and Structural Reform: The Case of Tanzania
Entrepreneurship and Small and Medium Enterprise Development

e) Kuzilwa, J.A. Credit as a Determinant of Successful Entrepreneurial Activities in Tanzania: The
Case of SIDO’s National Entrepreneurship Development Fund, funded by NORAD through project
TAN 058 support to IDM’s Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development Research Cluster.
(Research Report Published by MU/ and Agder University College) ISBN Tanzania 9987-617-39-5;
ISBN Norway 82-7117-460-6, 2003; (also paper based on the research published as a paper with
Journal of Entrepreneurship, Sage: See publications)

f) Kuzilwa, J.A.; Needs Assessment Study on Policy and Institutional Reforms for Small and Medium
Enterprise Promotion: The Case of Tanzania; Commissioned Research by
JICA/UNDP/TTECHNONET AFRICA, 2004

g) Kuzilwa, J.A.; Needs Assessment Study on Policy and Institutional Reforms o Trade and Investment
in Tanzania, Commissioned Research by JICA/UNDP/TTECHNONET AFRICA, 2004
Footwear

h) Kuzilwa, J.A. (2001) Baseline Study on the Footwear Industry in Tanzania : A two part study (with
clothing done by A. Mbwambo) conducted as part of a four African countries study on Clothing and
Footwear Research. Report presented at an International Conference on Textile and Leather in African
Industrialization held in Mombasa Kenya; 6-7 July, 2002. Paper based on the research published in a
book on Clothing and Footwear in Africa Industrialization eds. Rogerson, C. and D. McCormick –
(see publications below)

i) Kuzilwa, J.A. and F. Kiria, (2003) Footwear Chain and Participation of Micro and Small
Enterprises in Tanzania: Examination of their Coping Strategies, funded by NORAD through TAN
058 Project support to Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development Research Cluster.

j) Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi,;(2005) Micro, Small and Medium Leather Footwear Enterprises in
the Footwear Chain: Opportunities and Constraints for Growth and Survival: .
On going and about to start researches

k) (a) Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi,; The Effects of Direct Foreign Investment in Agriculture and
Agro-Industrial Sectors on the Poverty Reduction in an Economy Undergoing Liberalization and
Structural Reform: The Case of Tanzania (independent funding)
l) Kuzilwa, J.A., Agzebier Tegegne and A. Mbwambo, Sources of Innovations in Small and Medium
Footwear Enterprises: Comparative Study of Ethiopia and Tanzania; part of African Clothing and
Footwear Research Project to be funded through DELPHE

4. Selected Publications/Seminar Papers
Selected papers in journals / conference proceedings:

Kuzilwa, J.A. (2005) "The Role of Credit for Small Business Success: A Study of the National
Entrepreneurship Development Fund in Tanzania", Journal of Entrepreneurship: (Sage) Vol.
14:2:2005: 131-161

Kuzilwa, J.A. "Devaluation, Relative Price of Non-tradables, and Output in Low-Income
Economies". in Tanzania Management Journal, Vol.4, No.3, 1992: 486-510, Institute of
Development Management.

Kuzilwa, J.A. and E.K. Mushi (1997) “Credit Needs for Small Business” Tanzanian Banker’s
Journal, Issue No. 9:13-16

Kuzilwa, J.A., 1995, "Is Trade Liberalisation Strengthening or Threatening Agro-Industries and
Industries in Tanzania", Tanzania Management Journal, Vol. 6 No. 2:76-93, Institute of
Development Management

Monji, R.G. and J.A. Kuzilwa, "The Need for a Closer Integration Between Agricultural
Producers and Agro-Processing Industries Through Contract Farming in Tanzania", in
Msambichaka, L.A. and A.C. Chandratheker eds. Papers in Economic Policy in Tanzania,
Economic Research Bureau, University of Dar es Salaam, 1984:85-95.

Kuzilwa, J.A., 1995, "The Effect of Exchange Rate Depreciation on the Demand for Tourism in
Low-Income Economies", in Tanzania Management Journal, Vol. 6 No. 4:214-193

Kuzilwa, J.A., (1997) Agro-Industrial Development in Tanzania: Need for a Systems Approach,
Paper presented at the 1st Scientific Conference of Agricultural Economic Society of Tanzania,
held at the Sokoine University of Agriculture, May 28th -30th, 1997, published in Mdoe, S.Y, A.I.
Isinika and F.M. Turuka eds. Tanzania’s Agricultural Development Towards the Twenty First
Century AGREST, Morogoro:121-136.

Itika, J. and J.A. Kuzilwa (2000) “Liberalization of Agricultural Produce Marketing and
Promotion of Smallholder Agricultural Entrepreneurs in Tanzania: Emerging Effects”, published
in the Conference proceedings of the Fourth Scientific Conference of the Agricultural Economics
Society of Tanzania (AGREST) held for August 30 – September1, 2000 at VETA Conference
Hall, Iringa.

Kuzilwa, J.A. (2002) "Improving Delivery of Livestock Services through Local Authority/Private
Sector/Community Partnership: Lessons and Challenges from Mufindi District, Southern
Highlands", published in the Conference proceedings of the Sixth Scientific Conference of the
Agricultural Economic Society of Tanzania held in Tanga between 4-6 September 2002,
published in Economics and Development Papers, Issue No:1, 2003:84-129

Kuzilwa, J.A. (2000) “Factors Influencing Innovations in the Indigenous Medicine Sub-Sector in
Tanzania: A Case of DAKIKA Enterprise”: printed in the proceedings of a Conference on
Transfer of Technology and Indigenous Innovation Systems in Developing Countries:

Mbwambo, A. and J.A. Kuzilwa, (2004) "Clothing and Footwear in Tanzania Industrialization:
Issues and Options", chapter in ed. Rogerson, C. and D. McCormick Clothing and Footwear in
African Industrialization, published by Africa Institute of South Africa: 389-425

Kuzilwa, J.A., and L. Kishimbo, (2006) “Exchange Rate Depreciation and the
Competitiveness of Manufacturing Firms: The Case of Footwear Firm” Paper presented at
the Economics Department Discussion Series, accepted for publication in the Economics
and Development Papers

Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi (2006) “Micro and Small Footwear Firms in Tanzania: Still a
Force to be reckoned in the Domestic Economy” paper presented at an International Conference
on Clothing and Footwear in African Industrialization, held at Glenburn Lodge, Muldersdrift,
South Africa, May 24-25, 2006
BOOKS

1. Kuzilwa, J.A., (1997) Market Liberalization and the Agro-Industrial Potential in Tanzania,
Research and Publications, IDM – Funded by European Development Fund ISBN 9987 617 04

2. J.A. Kuzilwa and W.D.S. Mmbaga, (2000) Intermediate Microeconomics: With Cases and
Examples in the Tanzania Context, (funded under IDM/Agder University College
collaboration), Research, Information and Publication) ISBN 9987 617 182

5. Some Major Consultancies

(i) URT (2006) Study on Financial Sustainability in Higher Education in Tanzania

(ii) UNDP (2001) Country Review Report

(iii) UNDP (2005) Assessment of Capacity Building Needs for Aid Coordination and
External Resource Management in Tanzania

(iv) BEST(2006) Situation Analysis and Needs Assessment for Identifying Interventions on
Changing the Culture of the Government

(v) UNDP (2006) Assessment of Mainstreaming Environment in the Poverty Reduction
Strategy in Tanzania

6. Membership to Professional Bodies

Member, Agricultural Economics Society of Tanzania (AGREST)

Member, Commonwealth Association of Public Administration and Management
(CAPAM)

Member, African Association of Public Administration and Management (AAPAM)

Member, American Economic Association

Founding member, Tanzania Academy of Sciences (TAAS), also current Treasurer of
the Academy

7. Honours and Awards

Fulbright Scholarship, to undertake doctoral study in the US (1987-89)
 University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Economics Scholarship, 1989 - 92
 Institute of Development Management, Mzumbe Publications and consultancy awards
(1986, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001)
 Mzumbe University Publication Awards (2002, 2003, 2004)
 Voted best Faculty Member, Mzumbe University academic staff for the May Day award,
 Fellow, Tanzania Academy of Sciences, 2005
I certify that information provided here is correct to the best of my knowledge
Signed:………………………………………………Date: February 14, 2007

After a long time waiting for some changes at MU, a New Vice Chancellor has been obtained replace the former prof.Joseph Sinde Warioba.

Joseph Sinde Warioba si yule waziri mkuu mstaafu!! Au alikuwa VC wa part time!?

Sahihi ni Prof Moses Warioba na siyo Prof Joseph Sinde Warioba, after all hakuna Prof. Joseph Sinde Warioba

Hongera Kulizwa kuwa new VC,
Hope he will restore MU glory baada ya zile tuhuma za PhD feki MU kutolewa hapa JF. Naona CV yake imetulia!
Waungwana mnasemje?

hiyo C.V yavutiaaa ya show ni mtu anayestahili ingawaje sijui ki character wise ni vipi..well lets hope to see maendeleo na changes Mzumbe

hiyo C.V yavutiaaa ya show ni mtu anayestahili ingawaje sijui ki character wise ni vipi..well lets hope to see maendeleo na changes Mzumbe

Good character. Hard working. Well-disciplined.

BTW: Ni classmate wa JK Mlimani enzi hizo.

Huu jamaa anafaa sana katika nafasi hiyo.Aliyekuwa katika nafasi hiyo Mzee warioba alikuwa anamapungufu makubwa sana kiutendaji na alikuwa akiwalea walimu wazembe.

Nadhani Nungwi atakuwa na la kusema hapa.. hata hivyo Mr Nungwi Warioba wako alikuwa bomu and he is past now...

2.1 Degrees

B.A. (Economics), University of Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,

M.A. Economics (International Trade), University of Lancaster, Lancaster,
Britain, 1978

Ph.D. Economics (International Monetary Economics and Development Economics),University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, USA, 1992

3. Summary of Career Experience

Professor Joseph Kuzilwa has been with Mzumbe University, formerly Institute of Development
Management, since 1975. Initially employed as tutorial assistant, in 1975, he climbed up the ladder to
becoming a full professor in Economics in July 2002. Apart from teaching and research, Prof Kuzilwa
also served as Director of Studies for the then Institute of Development Management for six years
(1993-1999) and Deputy Vice Chancellor of Mzumbe University from 2002 to date. He is currently also
the Tanzania Country Coordinator of the African Clothing and Footwear Research Network, the
position he has held since 2001. Prof. Kuzilwa is also a fellow of the Tanzania Academy of Sciences,
where he is also serving as its first Treasurer.
6. Membership to Professional Bodies

Member, Agricultural Economics Society of Tanzania (AGREST)

Member, Commonwealth Association of Public Administration and Management
(CAPAM)

Member, African Association of Public Administration and Management (AAPAM)

Member, American Economic Association

Founding member, Tanzania Academy of Sciences (TAAS), also current Treasurer of
the Academy

Fellow, Tanzania Academy of Sciences, 2005
I certify that information provided here is correct to the best of my knowledge
Signed:………………………………………………Date: February 14, 2007

what is he doing in academy of sciences with all those B.A,s to his name??hivi kweli hiyo Academy iko serious au it just another NG'O??
all i know is a country's academy of science is a scientific, engineering and technological body which brings together committees of experts in all areas of scientific and technological endeavor.
usualy medicine,engineering,science and technology.
BUT never Economics or any social experts since i believe that what economics societies or social groups are.

its ok for a scientist to decide to opt for political or social carreer..like a ubunge au uwaziri hata ukatibu kata!!BUT i believe its suicidal for country's development to have these buddies with NO SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER,organising and leading or even participating as fellows of academy of sciences!!

najua kuna positions au vyeo flani vinavutia kwenye CV's zao lakini this is just TOO MUCH!!

otherwise congrats MU for getting a nev VC,i hope he will live up to expectations.

samahani kwa kumuandika joseph sinde warioba badala ya moses warioba. unajua kwa sababu hawa watu ni ndugu wa damu, ndiyo maana nikatereza kidogo. asanteni wana JF kwa kunisahihisha.

what is he doing in academy of sciences with all those B.A,s to his name??hivi kweli hiyo Academy iko serious au it just another NG'O??
all i know is a country's academy of science is a scientific, engineering and technological body which brings together committees of experts in all areas of scientific and technological endeavor.
BUT never Economics or any social experts since i believe that what economics societies or social groups are.

its ok for a scientist to decide to opt for political or social carreer..like a ubunge au uwaziri hata ukatibu kata!!BUT i believe its suicidal for country's development to have these buddies with NO SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER,organising and leading or even participating as fellows of academy of sciences!!

najua kuna positions au vyeo flani vinavutia kwenye CV's zao lakini this is just TOO MUCH!!

otherwise congrats MU for getting a nev VC,i hope he will live up to expectations.

labda walimaanisha social science, maana iko faculty of Arts and Social Science (FASS), ambayo kwa jina lake inaonekana wanaoichukua sio wa pure science but social science one.

what is he doing in academy of sciences with all those B.A,s to his name??[/COLOR]hivi kweli hiyo Academy iko serious au it just another NG'O??

Kijana unajua maana ya "science" au umekariri tu hilo neno? Hebu tafuta definition ya hilo neno na historia yake, ukiikosa sema nitakusaidia. Hata kwenye web utaipata kwa urahisi sana.

samahani kwa kumuandika joseph sinde warioba badala ya moses warioba. unajua kwa sababu hawa watu ni ndugu wa damu, ndiyo maana nikatereza kidogo. asanteni wana JF kwa kunisahihisha.

Undugu wao ni Baba na mama moja au familia moja, je itakuwa sawa tukisema Prof Moses Sinde Warioba?

Undugu wao ni Baba na mama moja au familia moja, je itakuwa sawa tukisema Prof Moses Sinde Warioba?

nitatafuta nijue undugu wao huko je ila nilivyojua ni kuwa wote ni ndugu. ila kama na wewe una jibu ninaomba msaada, if I am wrong

Sasa kama kuna jamaa waloenda shule Mzumbe Uni kama huyo Profesa, je, imekuwaje Ma Docta feki, vihiyo na akina Dr so and so wenye PhD za university feki ndo huwa wanatajwa tajwa kuwa "ati" wameenda shule?

Kijana unajua maana ya "science" au umekariri tu hilo neno? Hebu tafuta definition ya hilo neno na historia yake, ukiikosa sema nitakusaidia. Hata kwenye web utaipata kwa urahisi sana.
najua maana ya science ndugu,
nafahamu vizuri sana maana ya academy of science ndugu!!ofcourse have served one already.what more do you want??i repeat..,they don't take economists to oversee sciences in any serious academy of science!!!

huyo enzi zetu pale mzumbe tulimwita uncle Joe,alikuwa anatupatia vitenesi tulivyokuwa watoto ni mtu wa mazoezi sana,i know him in person,very nice guy and look very young kutokana na mazoezi..big up uncle Joe takuja kukusalimia mzumbe nikija!

would you mind if you tell us WHAT IS SCIENCE?

Back
Top Bottom