My eight years old daughter urinates at night while sleeping.

Njimba Nsalilwe

JF-Expert Member
Mar 23, 2008
JF members,

Could somebody assist on this prevailing embarrassing situation my much-loved daughter is undergoing?

My daughter is a boarder at a certain school in southern highland, I do not know how can help her to stop urinating at night while sleeping. I remember sometimes children urinating in their beds were taken in the streets and accompanied by the following song:

Kingumbwe kindumbwe chalia x2,
Kikojozi kakojoaa,
Nanguo kazitia moto …….

As you are all aware they do not sing this song anymore, even if they were still singing, I love my daughter can not allow this to happen to her.

I am convinced that am missing something somewhere that is why have come here to seek for your professional advice.

Concerned parent

Njimba

Pole sana mzazi.
Tatizo la watoto kukojoa kitandani(nocturnal enoresis) ni kubwa kwenye familia nyingi. Kabla ya kukimbilia kujua dawa embu tujiulize nini chaweza kuwa chanzo cha tatizo hili;

1) maambukizi kwenye njia ya mkojo maarufu kama UTI(urinary track infection) hii yaweza kumpata mtu yoyote haswa watoto walio boarding schools, wakati mwingine huambukizana kwa kushare mabafu,vyoo ndoo za kuogea,mataulo n.k

2)Hitilafu za muundo wa njia ya mkojo/anatomical disorder: Hitilafu yoyote kwenye ogani,nerve ama muscles za njia ya mkojo zaweza kusababisha mtoto ashindwe kuzuia mkojo hasa awapo usingizini.

3)Matatizo ya Hisia/kisaikolojia:
Hofu,hisia za kutopendwa,ukali wa wazazi, upweke,unyonge,mazingira mapya,sexual abuse,stress.

4)Genetical: yawezekana mmoja wa ndugu/mzazi alikuwa na tatizo hilo hivyo mtoto akarithi.

Utatuzi:
Kwanza ningekushauri umpeleke mtoto kwa daktari wa watoto/au mtaalamu wa magonjwa ya vibofu ili apate uchunguzi.

Pili wewe kama mzazi na yeye mshirikiane kwa pamoja. Ni jambo la muhimu kuongea nae kwa upendo na kumuhakikishia kuwa utamsaidia iwapo naye atafanya jitihada. Ningependekeza uishi naye nyumbani badala ya kumuweka boarding school hadi hapo tatizo lake litakapoisha. Ndugu yangu kama ataendelea kuwa boarding na wenzake wakamcheka au walimu wakamgombeza mwanao ataathirika vibaya sana kisaikolojia,daima atajitenga na kujihisi hafai.

Mfundishe kukojoa kabla ya kulala: Mjengee tabia ya kukojoa kabla ya kulala.

Mjengee tabia ya kutokunywa vimimivika vingi kabla ya kulala.

Mpongeze siku akiamka bila kujikojolea na kumpa moyo kuwa anaweza.

Ikiwezekana alale na alarm clock itakayomwamsha usiku ili akojoe.Siku za mwazno wewe kama mzazi muamshe usiku kama saa 8 akojoe,fanya hivyo kila siku na taratibu muache azoee kuamka kwa saa na baadae atajijengea tabia ya kuamka na kwenda chooni kabla hajajikojolea.

NB Jaribu kukaa na mtoto akueleze hisia zake,pengine hapendi boarding school,au mazingira fulani yanamtatiza na anaogopa kusema.
Kumbuka kutokumchapa mtoto mwenye tatizo hili kwani kutamjengea depression.

Nocturnal Enuresis :: Urinating in bed - Medorrhinum

Miss V., aged 13 years passed urine in her bed daily. Her mother used to wake her up several times during the night to make water but even then during sleep she would pass urine in bed.

I tried Sepia 30 2 doses daily and then Kreosote 30 2 doses daily for about 15 days but there was no improvement.

It so happened that one day her mother complained that this girl sleeps on her abdomen with her knees drawn up into the abdomen.

On this indication prescribed Medorrhinum 200 2 doses daily for 2 days.

It had quick effect. She stopped urinating in bed and also no more slept with her knees drawn into the abdomen.

Urinating in bed - Medorrhinum
by Prof. D. P. Rastogi

mtoe boarding school uwe nae nyumbani .. i.e. day school .. halafu you work tirelessly to wake her up usiku ...usimbebe hakikisha kwamba kaamka mwenyewe halafu umsimamie akojoe huku ukishuhudia mtoto mjanja atakukubalia tu kwamba kakojoa kumbe kasimama tu chooni ... this will wake up part of her brain that doenst communicate in times of kujisaidia ...

And as time goes on unamwambia leo shikwamshi halafu ukikojoa tutaelewana vibaya ... kwani na vitisho at some point vinasaidia ... asije akajilemaza kwamba lazima nitaamshwa ... so unapunguza times za kumuamsha usiku ... kidogo kidogo huku ukimwangalia na response yake.

Na most of them ni kwamba anaota kabisa kwamba anajisaidia chooni au kichakani .. ni tatizo lakini kwa juhudi za mzazi ... linaisha kabisa

Hope this might help!

DrGreene Content

Bed Wetting Causes
Dear Dr. Greene, My eight year old son has wet the bed consistently (about every other night) for as long as I can remember. He feels terrible about it and I feel like a failure as a parent. My mother says it is because he has emotional problems. What is the real cause of bed-wetting? Does anybody know? Please don't indicate where this question came from, but please get back to me if you possibly can.
Anonymous

Children who can control their bladders during the day, but who have never been dry at night for at least a six month period, have what is known medically as primary nocturnal enuresis (PNE), the most common form of bed-wetting. Over five million school-age children in the US alone have PNE.

Sadly, most children with PNE feel that there is something wrong with who they are that causes their problem. Many of them feel that it's the result of either bad thoughts or bad actions. They feel that somehow bed-wetting is a punishment.

Similarly, many parents feel that their children's bed-wetting is a result of a defect in their parenting. This feeling is heightened by well-meaning friends and relatives who bring up questions of emotional instability as the cause of bed-wetting.

In a recent survey of 9,000 parents of kids ages 6 - 17, 22% stated that they thought the reason their child wet the bed was laziness (survey conducted by ICR Survey Group from July 10 1996, through August 6, 1996). I am happy to tell you that this could not be further from the truth! Primary nocturnal enuresis is a common developmental phenomenon related to physical and physiologic factors. It does not come from emotional stress, poor self-esteem, or emotional immaturity.

Children with PNE have two things in common. First, they need to urinate at night. Not all children do. During the first months of life, babies urinate around-the-clock. Most adults, however, don't need to urinate at night (although a small percentage of the population will need to urinate at night throughout life). Sometime in middle childhood, most individuals make the transition from urinating around-the-clock to only urinating during waking hours. There are three reasons why individuals continue to need to urinate at night:

There is an imbalance of the bladder muscles. For example, the muscle that contracts to squeeze the urine out is stronger, at moments, than the sphincter muscle that holds the urine in.

They have bladders that are a little too small to hold the normal amount of urine.

They make more urine than their normal-size bladders can hold, for several reasons:

They may drink too much. Drinking in the two hours before bed increases nighttime urine production.

They may be consuming a diuretic medication, a substance that directly increases urine output. Usually these are not prescribed medications, but caffeinated cola drinks or chocolate.

They may make more urine in response to a chronic disease such as diabetes or a chronic urinary tract infection.

They may make more urine than average because of their hormonal regulatory systems. Babies make about the same amount of urine around-the-clock. Most adults make less urine while they sleep. The reason for this is thought to be a nighttime surge of a hormone called Antidiuretic Hormone (ADH). The levels of ADH found in the blood are higher beginning in the evening. One study looking at ADH levels in bed wetters, compared to controls, found that there was a constant low level of ADH in the bed wetters. The nighttime surge did not happen. Perhaps this is a reason bed wetters tend to make more urine at night.

If an individual consistently has to urinate at night, one or more of the above three reasons is the cause. The second thing children with PNE have in common is that they don't wake up when they need to urinate. When infants need to urinate, there is no signal that goes from the bladder to the brain to wake them up. This is wonderful, since they are not yet able to walk to the bathroom and use the toilet! On the other hand, when an adult's bladder is full at night, there is a signal that goes from the bladder, through the nervous system, up to the brain. This initiates a dream about water, or more specifically, about going to the bathroom. The dream alerts our reticular activating system, which awakens us. We can then get out of bed, walk to the bathroom, and use the toilet. This signaling mechanism comes into play sometime in middle childhood.

For many years, parents of bed-wetting children have claimed that their children were deep sleepers. Physicians have usually disagreed with this, citing evidence from sleep EEGs showing that bed-wetting children went through the same stages of sleep as other children, at the same frequency, and that bed-wetting can occur at any stage of sleep.

I have never heard a parent come in and say, "My child spends too much time in stage four sleep." They just say that their children are deep sleepers and are difficult to wake up. About a decade ago, researchers in Canada performed a simple, but powerful, study where they put headphones on children in a sleep lab. They began the study by allowing the children to get used to sleeping with the headphones on. Then they began introducing tones through the headphones. They measured the minimum volume it took to wake each child. The study showed that the children in the bed-wetting group were dramatically more difficult to wake up than normal controls -- confirming what parents have known for years!

Children who wet the bed at night both need to urinate at night and do not wake up when their bladders are full. These are the only children who wet the bed.

Understanding the causes of bed-wetting can help remove its stigma. You are also now better equipped to evaluate the suggestions people make to you. Effective therapy is aimed at the underlying causes. Most children can be completely dry within 12 weeks.

N.B. As I stated in my earlier answer titled, "Is bed-wetting genetic?", there is help for children who wet the bed! The biggest hindrances to getting help are the absence of a skilled, empathetic physician, and shame -- parents and children are ashamed to bring the subject up with someone who can help. It is up to you to take the first step! Talk with your doctor. If you find that for some reason she or he is not able to get your child dry quickly and effectively, I would call the closest Children's Hospital to find out who treats bed-wetting issues.

Alan Greene MD FAAP

3) Matatizo ya Hisia/kisaikolojia:
Hofu,hisia za kutopendwa,ukali wa wazazi, upweke,unyonge,mazingira mapya,sexual abuse,stress.

Kinyau ..It was a very good analisis!

No 3 to me; on this particular case takes about 80% of the possiblity of the problem.

Wazazi take the daughter out of the b school soonest.

Do all the oppsosite of No three problem to her. Which is simply be REALY PARENT TO YOUR DAUGHTER!!!!!

I give you not more than three weeks and you will start seeing all the goodness of your daughter coming back.

Nocturnal Enuresis :: Urinating in bed - Medorrhinum

On this indication prescribed Medorrhinum 200 2 doses daily for 2 days.It had quick effect. She stopped urinating in bed and also no more slept with her knees drawn into the abdomen.

Urinating in bed - Medorrhinum
by Prof. D. P. Rastogi

Mkuu Kevo,

Ahsante sana kwa maelezo yako nitawasiliana na docta na kumtafutia hii dawa harafu nitarudi hapa kuwaeleza maendeleo yake.

Njimba

Pole sana mzazi.

Hofu,hisia za kutopendwa,ukali wa wazazi, upweke,unyonge,mazingira mapya,sexual abuse,stress

Pili wewe kama mzazi na yeye mshirikiane kwa pamoja. Ni jambo la muhimu kuongea nae kwa upendo na kumuhakikishia kuwa utamsaidia iwapo naye atafanya jitihada. Ningependekeza uishi naye nyumbani badala ya kumuweka boarding school hadi hapo tatizo lake litakapoisha. Ndugu yangu kama ataendelea kuwa boarding na wenzake wakamcheka au walimu wakamgombeza mwanao ataathirika vibaya sana kisaikolojia,daima atajitenga na kujihisi hafai.

Mkuu Kinyau,

Ahsante sana kwa ushauri wako mzuri.

Item 3, hasa hasa hofu na hisia za kutopendwa pamoja na kumrudisha nyumbani itabidi nitumie busara sana. Huyu ni mmoja kati ya watoto wangu watatu ambao wanasoma shule moja. Mwanzoni kwa kuogopa aibu ya kukujoa yeye alikuwa anasoma day-school na wenzake wawili walikuwa wanasoma boarding, maendeleo yake yalikuwa mabaya sana. Si unajua tena wakati wa kuwapeleka na kuwachukua shuleni alikuwa anaona wivu sana, sijawahi kumwambia kwa nini yeye anasoma day-school na wenzake boarding. Alikuwa anasoma shule ambayo asubuhi anachukuliwa na kuletwa na gari la shule lakini bado nilikuwa ninaona anahisi simtendei haki, alichokifanya akaacha kusoma na maendeleo yake yakawa mabaya sana.

Kama mzazi nikajua ni sababu anahisi yeye hatendewi haki ikabidi muhura unaofuata nimpeleke wanakosoma wenzake wawili, alifurahi sana na sasa hivi maendeleo yake ni mazuri sana. Niliongea na masista wa shule yake ili wawe wanamuamsha usiku, ni kweli wanafanya hivyo lakini siku zingine huwa anawawahi kabla hawajamuamsha.

Shule itafungua Jumatatu na ninamuona hapa ninapoaandika hii meseji amefurahi sana kurudi shule, leo tulienda mjini kufanya shopping ndio maana nimechelewa kujibu.

Kama mzazi ninachukua ushauri wenu nitajitahidi sana kutafuta vivutio vitakavyo mfanya apende day-school, ili niwe na muda mrefu wa kumuangalia na kupractice ushauri nilioupata hapa. Hii ninafikiri itakuwa mwanzo wa muhura ujao kwani maandalizi yote yako tayari including payment of ada kwa ajili ya huu muhura wa mwisho. Meanwhile, nitanunua dawa niliyoshauriwa hapa na mkuu Kevo.

Njimba

Mtoto wa miaka minane yuko boarding school? Mbona mdogo sana? Saa ngapi atapata mapenzi toka kwa wazazi wake? Dawa hapa ni kumtoa labda saa tano za usiku inaweza kusaidia kama huwa analala mapema.

Mtoto wa miaka minane yuko boarding school? Mbona mdogo sana? Saa ngapi atapata mapenzi toka kwa wazazi wake? Dawa hapa ni kumtoa labda saa tano za usiku inaweza kusaidia kama huwa analala mapema.

Bubu swali zuri sana hili,

Sielewi uko wapi Tz au nje ya nchi. Ndugu yangu huku Bongo kuna wimbi la shule zinajulikana kama international schoolsau English Medium School, though not sure if they deserve to be called so. Ukigusa huko ni mjadala mwingine tena mrefu sana.

In short, watoto wanafundishwa masomo kwa kiingereza, wa kwangu walienda pale wakiwa na miaka 6, ila wazazi wengine wanawapeleka hata wa miaka 4. Do not ask me why, in short we want our children to be conversant with english language in early age.

Back to your question at what cost? yaani atapata mapenzi ya wazazi lini? Bubu kwa kweli umenigusa pabaya, sina jibu.

Lakini si unaujua mfumo wa elimu ya ki-Tanzania? kam unataka kufanya biashara bongo basi kwa sasa hiyo ndio biashara inayolipa sanaaaa. Kwa mtizamo wangu.

Njimba

Bubu swali zuri sana hili,

Sielewi uko wapi Tz au nje ya nchi. Ndugu yangu huku Bongo kuna wimbi la shule zinajulikana kama international schoolsau English Medium School, though not sure if they deserve to be called so. Ukigusa huko ni mjadala mwingine tena mrefu sana.

In short, watoto wanafundishwa masomo kwa kiingereza, wa kwangu walienda pale wakiwa na miaka 6, ila wazazi wengine wanawapeleka hata wa miaka 4. Do not ask me why, in short we want our children to be conversant with english language in early age.

Back to your question at what cost? yaani atapata mapenzi ya wazazi lini? Bubu kwa kweli umenigusa pabaya, sina jibu.

Lakini si unaujua mfumo wa elimu ya ki-Tanzania? kam unataka kufanya biashara bongo basi kwa sasa hiyo ndio biashara inayolipa sanaaaa. Kwa mtizamo wangu.

Njimba

Najua umempeleka huko kwa ajili ya future yake, lakini mimi binafsi mtoto wa miaka minane naona ni mdogo sana kupelekwa boarding school pamoja na kuwa ni kwa ajili ya future yake. Labda mimi nina mawazo ya mwaka 47 :)

For many years, parents of bed-wetting children have claimed that their children were deep sleepers. Physicians have usually disagreed with this, citing evidence from sleep EEGs showing that bed-wetting children went through the same stages of sleep as other children, at the same frequency, and that bed-wetting can occur at any stage of sleep.

I have never heard a parent come in and say, "My child spends too much time in stage four sleep." They just say that their children are deep sleepers and are difficult to wake up. About a decade ago, researchers in Canada performed a simple, but powerful, study where they put headphones on children in a sleep lab. They began the study by allowing the children to get used to sleeping with the headphones on. Then they began introducing tones through the headphones. They measured the minimum volume it took to wake each child. The study showed that the children in the bed-wetting group were dramatically more difficult to wake up than normal controls -- confirming what parents have known for years!

Children who wet the bed at night both need to urinate at night and do not wake up when their bladders are full. These are the only children who wet the bed.

Alan Greene MD FAAP

Thanks a lot Kevo! I do agree with the above analysis

Ni kweli kwamba mtoto wa 8 yrs bado ni mdogo na yupo kwenye formative years( wanasema from 2 to 10 watoto wanajifunza kuwa watu) ambapo anatakiwa awe karibu na mzazi au mlezi wa kumfundsha mambo ya msingi sana yaani values za maisha. Wataalamu wanasema kwamba 60% ya mambo tunayoyafanya ukubwani(behaviour) yanatokana na yake tuliyojifunza kati ya 2 to 10 years. Unaweza ona jinsi ilivyo muhimu kuwekeza kwa mtoto wa umri huu. Mimi mwanangu anasoma hizo shule za English medium lakini nimegoma kumpeleka boarding and i will never until she is 15 or more that is high school. There is a cost that we need to pay as parents to nurture our children in the way we want them to be. I know we live busy busy lives here in Dar but that is not an excuse to not have quality time with our kids. Kwanini uzae wengi kama unaona muda wako ni finyu!!!!!

Kwanini umpeleke mtoto boarding just because someone has done so? It should not be a class issue!!!Live your life and ignore peer pressure!!!!

Those are my few comments

Ndugu yangu Njimba pole kwa kwanza matatizo ya mwanao na pili hongera kwa jitihada zako za kujengea maisha mema mwanao, Let me give you personal experience, I had this similar problem when I was a child not only me but my younger brother as well, until I was ten!! We had a wonderful upbringing no stress whatsoever, My grade at school were fine, From std 1, I was always first in my class , my parent tried everything from conventional medicine to alternative medicine but nothing seem to work!! I remembered abstaining from drinking from 6pm onward, our family usually had tea for dinner but we voluntarily choosed dried food only, it didn't help either, It was very embarrassing and humiliating even when you are that young!! I had so many sleepless nights, the feeling of waking up all wet and rolling up your bedsheets to be washed wasn't great, I hated myself every morning I woke up like this but my parent remained very supportive which was the only MEDICINE in the end.
Njimba your kid is in Boarding School? please Brother take her out ASAP, it will only demoralising her. To be exposed to such humiliations is awful to this young lady, I can only imagine what she is going through? The taunts,the jeers,the teacher's scorn,the intimading matrons she is too young to all that!! I am sure she wonder If you really loved her? Why she is there at first place? While all she need is your Love, Protection, Understanding and Encouragement? Your intention was to give her good start but to leave her there will only affects her confidence to face the future. Take her to day school.

Njimba your kid is in Boarding School? please Brother take her out ASAP, it will only demoralising her. To be exposed to such humiliations is awful to this young lady, I can only imagine what she is going through? The taunts,the jeers,the teacher's scorn,the intimading matrons she is too young to all that!! I am sure she wonder If you really loved her? Why she is there at first place? While all she need is your Love, Protection, Understanding and Encouragement? Your intention was to give her good start but to leave her there will only affects her confidence to face the future. Take her to day school.

Mkuu Kweli,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice will take her to day school and will practice what JF members advised.

Njimba

Pole sana mzazi.
Tatizo la watoto kukojoa kitandani(nocturnal enoresis) ni kubwa kwenye familia nyingi. Kabla ya kukimbilia kujua dawa embu tujiulize nini chaweza kuwa chanzo cha tatizo hili;

1) maambukizi kwenye njia ya mkojo maarufu kama UTI(urinary track infection) hii yaweza kumpata mtu yoyote haswa watoto walio boarding schools, wakati mwingine huambukizana kwa kushare mabafu,vyoo ndoo za kuogea,mataulo n.k

2)Hitilafu za muundo wa njia ya mkojo/anatomical disorder: Hitilafu yoyote kwenye ogani,nerve ama muscles za njia ya mkojo zaweza kusababisha mtoto ashindwe kuzuia mkojo hasa awapo usingizini.

4)Genetical: yawezekana mmoja wa ndugu/mzazi alikuwa na tatizo hilo hivyo mtoto akarithi.

Utatuzi:
Kwanza ningekushauri umpeleke mtoto kwa daktari wa watoto/au mtaalamu wa magonjwa ya vibofu ili apate uchunguzi.

Mfundishe kukojoa kabla ya kulala: Mjengee tabia ya kukojoa kabla ya kulala.

Mjengee tabia ya kutokunywa vimimivika vingi kabla ya kulala.

Mpongeze siku akiamka bila kujikojolea na kumpa moyo kuwa anaweza.

Ikiwezekana alale na alarm clock itakayomwamsha usiku ili akojoe.Siku za mwazno wewe kama mzazi muamshe usiku kama saa 8 akojoe,fanya hivyo kila siku na taratibu muache azoee kuamka kwa saa na baadae atajijengea tabia ya kuamka na kwenda chooni kabla hajajikojolea.

NB Jaribu kukaa na mtoto akueleze hisia zake,pengine hapendi boarding school,au mazingira fulani yanamtatiza na anaogopa kusema.
Kumbuka kutokumchapa mtoto mwenye tatizo hili kwani kutamjengea depression.

Good advice.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom